2024 Headliners

3 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Of course, but it also felt a bit like a desperate lunge to fend off criticism. She didn't address that GNR had replaced a female headliner until after the festival, from memory?

Now, I am aware that undercutting GNR by saying that before their slot would have caused some consternation - effectively admitting they were a back-up - but at the same time, the whole spiel about considering Lizzo the "fourth headliner", along with her spot on the top line of the bill - felt a bit disingenuous.

Throw in the Lana del Rey fiasco - though that seems more to be a case of an artist throwing a tantrum - and it was just a bit of a bizarre attempt to shift the narrative.

Absolutely agree. 

But now this year we've got people thinking that Emily might be talking about the legend when she's clearly talking about headliners, which is a bit of a stretch to say the least. 

Just now, stuie said:

Absolutely agree. 

But now this year we've got people thinking that Emily might be talking about the legend when she's clearly talking about headliners, which is a bit of a stretch to say the least. 

Yeah, that's a fair point. It felt more like Pyramid headliners to me, but there's enough ambiguity to throw it up there.

I do wonder if Lizzo got top-line billing not only because it was a sausage fest up top, but also because Cat Stevens wasn't exactly a household name.

I think Coldplay was a guess (easy enough guess) by one of the newspapers - when I think it's going to be Foo Fighters - they are playing Rock Werchter and Open'er and Villa Park and Cardiff all around Glasto....

If they don't headline - Dave will definitely pop in either way.. explains why they also played as "The Churnups" this year and only did an hour...

16 hours ago, Drinky said:

If this is true - and why not - then who  was Emily talking about as a late breaking woman headliner that we’d all understand about? Beyoncé? Or was it really about the legend slot and it was Stevie Nicks?

I think everyone presumed Emily was talking about a headliner when maybe it  was just somebody else that they nabbed and was getting high billing. She said "oh, arent we glad we held that slot". Who says it was a headline slot to begin with. Nobody can confirm thats what she was referring to anyway.

2 hours ago, RaphPH said:

I think Coldplay was a guess (easy enough guess) by one of the newspapers - when I think it's going to be Foo Fighters - they are playing Rock Werchter and Open'er and Villa Park and Cardiff all around Glasto....

If they don't headline - Dave will definitely pop in either way.. explains why they also played as "The Churnups" this year and only did an hour...

not a chance its the Foo Fighters mate. Villa Park on the Thursday and Hellfest on the Sunday puts no window in between. More of a chance of them doing Leeds/Reading in August if they play a UK Festival this year.

I feel like a traitor to this forum for saying it, but as (probably the smallest minority possible) I've not actually seen them before, I'd be quite excited for Coldplay.

Not a huge fan of their music but it seems like they do put on a show, and they have a good amount of classics.

Sorry everyone.

Edited by mttJ
  • Upvote 8

2 minutes ago, mttJ said:

I feel like a traitor to this forum for saying it, but as (probably the smallest minority possible) I've not actually seen them before, I'd be quite excited for Coldplay.

Not a huge fan of their music but it seems like they do put on a show, and they have a good amount of classics.

Sorry everyone.

Don’t sweat it .. plenty on here like them . The show is amazing . 

15 minutes ago, mttJ said:

Sorry everyone.

I'm a massive music snob...and Coldplay were incredible in 2016 and they'll be incredible this year. You will have euphoria levels of fun. I will see them again, unless I'm desperate to be elsewhere...and I get a ticket 😭😭😭😭

2 hours ago, mttJ said:

Sorry everyone.

No need for apologies, it's a broad church 🙏

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Superscally said:

I'm a massive music snob...and Coldplay were incredible in 2016 and they'll be incredible this year. You will have euphoria levels of fun. I will see them again, unless I'm desperate to be elsewhere...and I get a ticket 😭😭😭😭

I saw them in 2011 having never really put a Coldplay album on and I had the best time! A headliner should just be a spectacle that lifts you after a tough day on your feet and Coldplay delivered that night. I would 100% see them on the pointy stage again.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mttJ said:

Sorry everyone.

2 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Don’t sweat it .. plenty on here like them . The show is amazing . 

2 hours ago, Superscally said:

2016 one of my favourite gigs ever, loved 2011 too. Wembley 2022 also up there along with plenty of others over the years

Incredible experience, the wristbands in the Pyramid field

My Coldplay gigs are tainted by lots of "I wish they played that" though Politik and In My Place at Wembley sorted that a bit. If you haven't seen them before or are just a casual fan I think you'll be blown away 

Edited by efcfanwirral
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, mttJ said:

Sorry everyone.

Don't be intimated by people.i wandered down 2016, thinking not a huge fan. It was a wonderful 2 hours

4 hours ago, mttJ said:

Sorry everyone.

Don't be sorry. Efests isn't the holy grail of musical opinions. There were people on here who scoffed at Elton John headlining when it was rumoured...

Coldplay are an exceptional live band with an absolute stack of anthems and hits. I've seen them once. Glasto 2011. And it was beyond belief.

I'm at the stage where I'd be gutted now if they aren't headlining (if I get a ticket obviously). The place will be packed for them as it always is and 10s of 1000s of people will be buzzing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In fact I watched that 2011 gig back on YouTube for the first time last weekend after a few nibbles of mushroom-infused-chocolates and it propelled me back to that night, my first ever Glasto headliner experience. 

Me and my mate were talking about the stick that they sometimes get, and the accusation that they're  boring or depressing. About half way through I asked, when does the boring sh*t happen because this is absolutely euphoric. His professionalism, their lyrics, their energy, the craftsmanship of the band who are utterly brilliant musicians.

If anyone can watch that gig in full and think it's sh*t I'd question their taste.

Edited by Stokesy10

12 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

In fact I watched that 2011 gig back on YouTube for the first time last weekend after a few nibbles of mushroom-infused-chocolates and it propelled me back to that night, my first ever Glasto headliner experience. 

Me and my mate were talking about the stick that they sometimes get, and the accusation that they're  boring or depressing. About half way through I asked, when does the boring sh*t happen because this is absolutely euphoric. His professionalism, their lyrics, their energy, the craftsmanship of the band who are utterly brilliant musicians.

If anyone can watch that gig in full and think it's sh*t I'd question their taste.

Yeah it’s exceptional. The production looks a bit more dated these days, small screen behind them ect. But they came out belting that night and I still enjoy watching it back.

1 minute ago, Mark H said:

Yeah it’s exceptional. The production looks a bit more dated these days, small screen behind them ect. But they came out belting that night and I still enjoy watching it back.

I think the latest version I saw had been remastered because it sounded incredible. Years back I watched a sh*t version of it. Forgot how insane Shiver sounded. To say I fell in love with Glasto from that moment is an understatement.

I'll be nowhere near Coldplay but it's a demonstrably huge booking, what with them being one of the biggest bands in the world an' all. I always think there's a bit of reverse classism with them, if they were four lads from Salford or Glasgow I'm not sure there would be the same level of opprobrium.  It does a feels a little uninspired though probably as their last time doesn't really feel like six years ago because the world stopped for two years, and they've obviously done that slot a load of times. But they'll smash it no doubt. Hoping for something with heavy beats on the Other at the same time though.