All Points East 2023

gfa

I managed to get a VIP/pit on resale Friday night for Field Day. I havent been since 2014 but the line up was pretty amazing.

I cant remember much from 2014 so its hard to compare but overall it was a fantastic day out.

The VIP for me was worth it. Being short and having quick access to the bar was nice. I spent most of my time at the main stage apart from seeing Jon Hopkins and Moderat. 

Seeing other comments about talkers at festivals, it seems to be the norm now. The area around was mostly great Everyone was into it. There were some people who seemed to have comp passes who really didnt know much about what they were getting themselves into. Their faces turning from confused to smiles during Fever Ray and Arca was fun. The crowd at the mainstage for most part was really good and chilled. Only saw a few out of hand gurning teenagers during Jon Hopkins. 

The sound was pretty decent where I was also. I did Coachella this year which may be as good as it gets sound wise at a festival but this did the job. 

I got to see five artists I absolutely adore, for 80 quid and a nice view with easy access to the bar. Would absolutely do it again but Fever Ray > Hopkins > Arca > Moderat > Aphex might be the best on trot I have ever had at a festival. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, brayshizzle said:

I managed to get a VIP/pit on resale Friday night for Field Day. I havent been since 2014 but the line up was pretty amazing.

I cant remember much from 2014 so its hard to compare but overall it was a fantastic day out.

The VIP for me was worth it. Being short and having quick access to the bar was nice. I spent most of my time at the main stage apart from seeing Jon Hopkins and Moderat. 

Seeing other comments about talkers at festivals, it seems to be the norm now. The area around was mostly great Everyone was into it. There were some people who seemed to have comp passes who really didnt know much about what they were getting themselves into. Their faces turning from confused to smiles during Fever Ray and Arca was fun. The crowd at the mainstage for most part was really good and chilled. Only saw a few out of hand gurning teenagers during Jon Hopkins. 

The sound was pretty decent where I was also. I did Coachella this year which may be as good as it gets sound wise at a festival but this did the job. 

I got to see five artists I absolutely adore, for 80 quid and a nice view with easy access to the bar. Would absolutely do it again but Fever Ray > Hopkins > Arca > Moderat > Aphex might be the best on trot I have ever had at a festival. 

That is an absolute super run of acts. The timing didn't work for me with Field Day this year but I'm pretty jealous. Glad you had a good time, and nice to hear some decent reviews of the sound and operation in general. 

Im looking forward to getting there on Friday. Once the weather is good, it'll be a great day I reckon. 

One of the worst organised Field Days in years, reminded me of some of the early ones.

Seemed oversold and the food options were dire. 

However the worst thing was the atrocious sound on the East Stage. And a crowd full of talkers but I barely blame them when the music is imposible to hear anyway even near the front.

I've always had a great experience ever time I've seen Jon Hopkins but it was utterly pointless this time. Bonobo was marginally better but still very quiet even 15 m from the barrier which is simply not acceptable. 

Thank god Aphex Twin was so good. An incredible set and incredible show and plentiful delay arrays meant the sound was okay for most of the crowd. Single handedly saved the day. 

On 8/19/2023 at 1:23 PM, internetjef said:

440 is a big can size isn’t it. Handy if you can buy cans unopened as you can snag 3 before headliner and keep 2 in pocket. Seem to remember doing this for Foals a year or two back 

Didn't have a single can opened all weekend, so was able to get 2 at a time, and just dash one in my pocket.

The tequila bar cocktails were nice too (although, £12) but they weren't measuring the amount of tequila going on, so got more than a double measure at least.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Pateen said:

Anyone know if you can bring flag poles in or will the be taken off you? 

The sound is rubbish, we don't need the stage blocked by flags too

Nobody has them there and I don't imagine they are allowed in

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, stanh said:

Didn't have a single can opened all weekend, so was able to get 2 at a time, and just dash one in my pocket.

The tequila bar cocktails were nice too (although, £12) but they weren't measuring the amount of tequila going on, so got more than a double measure at least.

Tequila bars would have been great if they had mentioned they ran out of frozen margaritas before making you queue for 15 minutes.

14 hours ago, collectivisedfarming said:

DJ set. That stage (a waste of time in my opinion) only has DJ and electronic acts on.

How dare they put on DJs....

nobody is forcing you to go

22 minutes ago, gfa said:

How dare they put on DJs....

nobody is forcing you to go

Very odd reading of my post. 

I wrote that the stage is a waste of time (poor sound, barely ever well attended, lights don't really achieve anything in daylight etc). I make no comment on the acts on it. Plenty I'd like to see there actually but the venue puts me off.