Taylor swift

brettredmayne

UK numbers for the midweeks. Arctics did exceptionally well but just can't compete with her streaming power.

1 Taylor Swift - Midnights (140,590) [114,429 physicals, 5,857 downloads, 20,304 streaming] *
2 Arctic Monkeys - The Car (104,874) [97,888 physicals, 2,155 downloads, 4,831 streaming] *
3 Loyle Carner - hugo (9,387) [7,740 physicals] *

Don't hugely give a toss about the US numbers - this is a message board site dedicated, by and large, to British festivals after all - but those British ones are absolutely incendiary. It's Ed Sheeran's = cleared in three days, it's more than the first week of Harry's House, it might even have a crack at hauling down ABBA's Voyage, if physicals continue to shift. (It will likely fall short of Adele and 30, mind you.) And to top it all, it's twice - already! - the sales of Red (Taylor's Version).

Won't lie, those figures have absolutely blown me away. Still think the record's a seven out of ten, mind you, but to those who are head over heels in love with it, good on you. Always grand to find tunes you dig.

2 hours ago, jannybruck said:

UK numbers for the midweeks. Arctics did exceptionally well but just can't compete with her streaming power.

1 Taylor Swift - Midnights (140,590) [114,429 physicals, 5,857 downloads, 20,304 streaming] *
2 Arctic Monkeys - The Car (104,874) [97,888 physicals, 2,155 downloads, 4,831 streaming] *
3 Loyle Carner - hugo (9,387) [7,740 physicals] *

Taylor's album is so far up and above Arctic's though it's crazy! Can't compete with her but it's just a much better offering.

I think a part of the success of this album is down to the huge critical success of the Folklore/Evermore era. Through the pandemic Taylor was the artist putting out the best quality work IMO and used the opportunity to really reframe her career. I think that momentum has peaked here, and the promo work on Midnights has been incredible on top. Few if any make an album launch as big an event as Taylor, she’s the master.

I think the record being a critical hit has helped keep the streaming numbers strong too. Utter triumph really. I’m actually surprised it’s taken off to this degree though, i didn’t think she’d get back to 1989 levels but here we are!

5 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Wow. It’s official. Midnights will debut with higher numbers than 1989.

That’s absolutely unreal. She is absolutely unreal.

Half are vinyl sales. Thats.... Not good. Again, she pushed past a ton of small artists to get that all pressed. Silently killing small artists/labels for no damn reason but to set a few sales records. Expect tons of copies in secondhand stores in a year. Same thing happened to Billie on her last record.

Edited by Suprefan
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Half are vinyl sales. Thats.... Not good. Again, she pushed past a ton of small artists to get that all pressed. Silently killing small artists/labels for no damn reason but to set a few sales records. Expect tons of copies in secondhand stores in a year. Same thing happened to Billie on her last record.

Adele did similar as well didn’t she? Some vinyl releases were delayed for ages because she had all the presses booked up. It sucks.

1 hour ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Adele did similar as well didn’t she? Some vinyl releases were delayed for ages because she had all the presses booked up. It sucks.

She did, but not on this scale. Same for the other. Harry sold 150k in one week which was just a bit over of Olivia and Adele which did 100k+. Nobody is trying to press half a million records for one release. This is like Warner Brothers constantly repressing Rumours cause they know itll sell.

Have seen some Easter Egg speculation that "Exile ends - 3 ... 2" pocketwatch in the Bejeweled video either hints to the release of Speak Now TV, or ... the start of a tour. Much as I would love the latter to be the case, a tour starting in March seems pretty soon, considering its not even announced yet. Not that there would be any trouble shifting tickets 🤷🏻 

Or, we could be waiting another few months even to get an announcement.

OR we clowning 🤡

Edited by WestCountryGirl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Surpassed 1989. This is the biggest release of her career.

Absolutely incredible stuff. Read earlier she’s the first person since herself in 2017 to shift a million physical copies in the first week? I think that was the stat, apologies if slightly off!

Taylor’s career, creatively, is as good as it’s ever been, but I did think her general popularity had waned ever so slightly and people like Adele were just clear of her in that mega bracket. But here we are, she’s back on top of the world with her TENTH record. Remarkable that she’s managed to get back to, and surpass, her previous heights almost a decade later. Not many acts have done that.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Surpassed 1989. This is the biggest release of her career.

On numbers maybe, but 1989 will always remain her masterpiece.

This review pretty much nails it -

“But true Taylor fans know that, while Folklore and Evermore contained wonderful examples of Swift’s craft as a songwriter and lyricist, the masterpiece in her oeuvre remains 1989, released in 2014, when she was just 24 years old. That album, her generation’s Thriller, or Like a Prayer, is now established as a pop classic. (And no, not because of Ryan Adams’ creepy cover version). Hitching Eighties pop to Nineties electronica, then blazing down the Springsteen highway in a tank top and blue jeans, 1989 was American pop like they’ve hardly made it since that same year: histrionic, widescreen, catchy as a coronavirus.”

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/a41711408/taylor-swift-midnights-review/

Edited by circus92
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Have seen some Easter Egg speculation that "Exile ends - 3 ... 2" pocketwatch in the Bejeweled video either hints to the release of Speak Now TV, or ... the start of a tour. Much as I would love the latter to be the case, a tour starting in March seems pretty soon, considering its not even announced yet. Not that there would be any trouble shifting tickets 🤷🏻 

Or, we could be waiting another few months even to get an announcement.

OR we clowning 🤡

I've seen similar relating to the pocket watch although the one I saw was saying 12 2 

2nd December is a Friday so possibly an announcement/Speak Now TV released then ...