Rock Werchter 2023

BenG92

16 hours ago, EV123 said:

His show in belgium this year sold very bad. If he comes, he would need to be happy with at least one spot lower than before imo. Or maybe as a Barn head?

Depends on who the headliner(s) will be and the rest of the lineup that day. With a very strong/popular headliner (like RATM, SOAD, Blur, etc), I wouldn't be surprised if he'll still be the second most popular name on the day even though, solo, he might not be selling as well as in the past in Belgium.

3 hours ago, SweetJesus said:

Great for you. If you ask people who were at Reading/Leeds, many of them will say that Alex Turner looks like he don’t wanna be on stage.

"if you ask people" lol , try to make your own opinion instead of trusting everything you read on social media 😉 Turner is no Dave Grohl, everyone knows that.

And they were terribly boring at Pukkelpop too. Lots of people leaving, Alex was definitely not in the mood which happens more often than not. Also didn’t sell their day out on a smaller festival than Werchter. For me they don’t have to be there at all as it won’t be a convincing name for many who saw them at Werchter or Pukkelpop already.

8 hours ago, Nicklord said:

Unpopular opinion: Arctic Monkeys were amazing the last time at Rock Werchter and the crowd was the one that sucked because they only wanted to hear Do I Wanna Know on repeat 

I do agree that part of them never being too good in Werchter or Pukkelpop is simply because we’re not fully their type of audience here in Belgium. It’s like Herman Schueremans said, Belgians ease into the concert slowly but when you have them they give you all. Bands that need the energy more to bring energy into a crowd (AM for example) will always have a harder time in Belgium than bands that feed energy and then enjoy together (Coldplay for example). For the first type of band it’s always hit or miss at Belgian festivals, of which Gorillaz was another example this summer. With other crowds I indeed see this happening less, of which Sziget is a nice example.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Nicklord said:

Unpopular opinion: Arctic Monkeys were amazing the last time at Rock Werchter and the crowd was the one that sucked because they only wanted to hear Do I Wanna Know on repeat 

I saw them at NoS a few weeks later and they were dire.  My son saw them at Leeds Festival last weekend and also thought they were pretty boring.  More suited to indoor venues these days.

This conversation about whether AM are "good" live or not is so silly. It's not about "good", it's about the fact that they've changed their style so much since the earlier albums and Alex is doing his crooner Bowie thing and slowing every song down.

That's always gonna work for some people and not for others, it's not about them being good or bad, just different. For me I'm glad I ticked them off the list but they won't sell me on a festival again. 

Edited by BenG92
  • Upvote 2

On 9/2/2022 at 1:53 PM, Nicklord said:

That sounds pretty much like Blur's experience when they headlined RW back in the late 90s. The band were pretty good IMO, but the vast bulk of the crowd was only there for Song 2.

Gotta be honest, I was with a group of about 12 people at AM RW 2018 and every one of us was a fan... and every one of us was completely bored by their set. As a group we loved The Killers, Nine Inch Nails, Gorillaz... hey, even Nick Cave (although they didn't know 90% of his songs), but we were already to dance our tails off and we ended up just sitting down and drinking. And chatting. That's never a good sign.

And I've seen AM in their pre-worldwide phenom shows where we did dance our tails off. Not saying anybody else should feel differently - we like what we like - but we all wanted really bad to have fun at that show. It barely registers as a memory now.

• Upvote 1

I am most annoyed they're still playing so much of AM, a massively overrated album with one cool riff, a couple of good songs and full of fillers with the same generic and rather boring drum beat (namely One for the road, Arabella, Why'd you only call me when you're high, Knee socks - all of them they sadly refuse not to play). And although I enjoy tranquility base (and the new track as well), it really should've been Alex Turner solo/Last shadow puppets album.

I'm afraid Helders will start wearing jeans on stage if they continue like that. 

After their disappointing Mad Cool 18 show, I thought they might be better suited to smaller, more intimate venues. After seeing them in one of the sexiest venues, arena in Pula, I can say that's not the case. Still don't mind listening to their tunes, but live? No thanks.

• Like 4