Rock Werchter 2023

BenG92

The atmosphere in the tents is usually much better than in the main stage for most acts. It provides darkness, intimacy, better sound (minus some technical problems) and a different vibe both to the audience and the artists. Besides that, if RW will have more stages with the same budget (because the capacity is not changing) the profile of the bands will be lower overall, the large tents won't get appropriate artists as most of the big ones will play on either of the main stages.

It should stay as it is imo.

11 hours ago, The Black said:

I think it's time for a double main stage (like Graspop and Hellfest). There are many good acts in the Klub C and Barn which you have to make a choice of, otherwise you cannot enter the other.

Dear God no... 

As previously mentioned, festivals are about choices, but spread out stages also creates a better flow and atmosphere. If it were up to me we would have even more, but I guess I have to accept four 😉

Primary reason to have 2 mains is a shorter waits between big acts, for us this wasn't a problem at RW because the queues for everything are so good that in that time, we could use the toilet, refill our water bottles and grab a couple beers, OR get into the pit for the next band. At Primavera it would take an hour just to get a beer. 

I suppose if you're camping main all day without needing any facilities it probably does get boring waiting an hour between bands, but the majority aren't doing that. 

Edited by BenG92
  • Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Primary reason to have 2 mains is a shorter waits between big acts, for us this wasn't a problem at RW because the queues for everything are so good that in that time, we could use the toilet, refill our water bottles and grab a couple beers, OR get into the pit for the next band. At Primavera it would take an hour just to get a beer. 

I suppose if you're camping main all day without needing any facilities it probably does get boring waiting an hour between bands, but the majority aren't doing that. 

And that is also one of the problems... It would be packed with people that don't care if they watch Anne-Marie or Pearl Jam, which I don't think would add anything to the mood at the gigs (neither for bands nor audience). It probably works better on festivals with a more streamlined genre of music. 

3 minutes ago, tmolvik said:

And that is also one of the problems... It would be packed with people that don't care if they watch Anne-Marie or Pearl Jam, which I don't think would add anything to the mood at the gigs (neither for bands nor audience). It probably works better on festivals with a more streamlined genre of music. 

Yeah exactly, the worst part of it at Primavera was people would just camp for the next band and talk through the ENTIRE SET. It was so bad at The National with people waiting to dance at Caribou.

It's worthless at RW. You can get into the headliner pit just by showing up at the gate an hour before they come on, it's so easy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

Graspop 2 main stages run so well. It has something going on at all times and it's super easy to enter any tent at any time because there are no mass moving of people when an act finishes on the main

It may work well at Graspop but a main reason is that it concerns fans of a specific music genre (with its variations) so people tend to move much less (for example I spent 80% of the time in Marquee). RW is different and much more diverse and moving around to different stages is part of the experience. 

In addition, although I had a great time at Graspop, the few times that I went to the main stages it wasn't as pleasant as in RW. It was either too packed if I wanted to be relatively close (cause everyone moves left or right to have visual contact so the space becomes more narrow) or it wasn't that nice at the back if you wanted to lie down and enjoy with a few beers. But ok for a metal festival maybe that's not too important.

1 hour ago, ParanoidTourist said:

My wishlist for next year would be: 

Radiohead 

Thom Yorke mentioned during their concert in Amsterdam that they are already working on a second The Smile record. I was looking for a video of it to share here and I found this (at 25''):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVtm2OHG6xg&ab_channel=Karin%26Tommy

So probably we'll see more of The Smile in '23 but sadly no Radiohead!

4 hours ago, Floyd_Ams said:

Thom Yorke mentioned during their concert in Amsterdam that they are already working on a second The Smile record. I was looking for a video of it to share here and I found this (at 25''):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVtm2OHG6xg&ab_channel=Karin%26Tommy

So probably we'll see more of The Smile in '23 but sadly no Radiohead!

That´s a shame! But I wouldn´t mind seeing The Smile headline the Barn. They were brilliant when I saw them in Stockholm this spring. 

4 hours ago, ParanoidTourist said:

Snow Patrol, NIN and FNM traditionally don´t headline in Werchter. The latter did once but only because Foo Fighters cancelled the last minute. 

Seing bands like The Killers, Bastille or Mumford & Sons headlining this festival, and not NIN ... lol that's unbelievable.

52 minutes ago, Matt86 said:

Seing bands like The Killers, Bastille or Mumford & Sons headlining this festival, and not NIN ... lol that's unbelievable.

NiN are not even remotely close to having the same broad audience as the other mentioned, but at the same time Bastille hasn't headlined anything... NiN fits as a Barn headliner, but would have played for a half filled main stage (at most)..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matt86 said:

The Killers played 11 stadium dates in the UK this year vs Nine Inch Nails playing Eden Project twice and three academies..

1 hour ago, 49Lawson said:

My guy, you do not understand what this festival is capable of…

OR you're underestimating the ego of those bands. (Plus, come on, Werchter is no Glastonbury..)

3 hours ago, Aech said:

The Killers played 11 stadium dates in the UK this year vs Nine Inch Nails playing Eden Project twice and three academies..

selling stadiums isn't a guarantee of quality you know.. NIN and The Killers clearly haven't the same public

3 hours ago, Matt86 said:

OR you're underestimating the ego of those bands. (Plus, come on, Werchter is no Glastonbury..)

Out of the bands Aech mentioned; FNM were meant be third down this year, Snow Patrol were third down last time they played, QOTSA were due to play before Metallica this year (and played before Gorillaz last time they were here) and NIN played in the Barn at 7pm before Nick Cave and AM co-headlined the main stage.

You’re very right that Werchter isn’t Glasto, literally the only thing to do at Werchter is go watch bands and they know this, that’s why they try and go so hard with the line ups. I’m trying to think of examples from the Werchters I’ve been to, and the one that sticks out big style was Red Hot Chili Peppers co-headlining with Editors and playing before them. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Matt86 said:

selling stadiums isn't a guarantee of quality you know.. NIN and The Killers clearly haven't the same public

Selling stadiums is definitely not a guarantee of quality, but it's definitely a measure of attractiveness... Which is also why these few hit wonders with huge streaming numbers will headline any major festival.