The 1975

NorthernSoul52

55 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I mean really, do people actually go to a festival just because of one act.

If that festival is Reading/Leeds, and you're over 18, then there's literally no reason to go other than the lineup - and RATM in particular are rare enough that a decent number of people will make the effort even if they don't like the entire rest of the bill.

2 hours ago, GeezLouise said:

Looking like the 1975 are gonna pick up the Rage against the machine slack at Reading & Leeds this year. what do you think this does for their chances of headlining glasto next year? 

Means nothing because Glasto already have their headliners 

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Not bothered about them at all, but the R&L threads on this forum are very funny, loads losing their shit and trying to get refunds just because RATM have pulled out.

I’m going on Sunday just for Halsey (willow, ashnikko, RTJ, RATM an added bonus) 

On 8/3/2022 at 6:40 PM, FloorFiller said:

Yeah that new tunes great and I’m by no means a big fan. I get bands wanting to make a return with an artsier or slightly different sounding first single, but this is the obvious hit. Hope it goes some way to them scraping back a bit of their former popularity.

I know the singles charts don't mean what they once did and they're not the only metric by which success can be judged. 

But it didn't dent the Top 100.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I know the singles charts don't mean what they once did and they're not the only metric by which success can be judged. 

It means almost nothing tbh. AM will release a single next month that won’t trouble the charts. Really doesn’t matter. 

Sam fender has 1 top 40 single and he’ll headline next album for example 

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

?

It was in the top 40 in the midweek chart. Will find out in the next hour or so where it’s actually placed.

If glasto ends up with the 1975 next year i feel like it shows they were very slow to act on them, they will have done Reading twice by then.

I wonder if the 1975 were planned to headline reading next year or not

1 hour ago, gfa said:

If glasto ends up with the 1975 next year i feel like it shows they were very slow to act on them, they will have done Reading twice by then.

I wonder if the 1975 were planned to headline reading next year or not

Or, the 1975 are not on their priority list and they’ve let other festivals happen. Right now it feels like the festival has no plans to make them headliners. I can’t see both them and AM there next year. Think the rumours are true they are doing IOW/Latitude. 

On 8/12/2022 at 11:09 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

It got to #46, you posted that before the chart had been released lol.

It’s looking set to climb this week, which their singles haven’t done in a long long time - it’s already had a massive climb on the Apple Music chart.

On 8/12/2022 at 1:02 PM, fraybentos1 said:

It means almost nothing tbh. AM will release a single next month that won’t trouble the charts. Really doesn’t matter. 

Sam fender has 1 top 40 single and he’ll headline next album for example 

I think AM’s comeback single will do really well if it’s even slightly commercial sounding tbh. Tranquility Base did really big numbers on its first day on Spotify, then dropped a bit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I am more than a bit pissed and a big fan so a bit biased ….. but they just fucking smashed that completely out of the park at Reading.  Saw them headline 2019, and as good as it was, tonight was even better!  They seemed more relaxed than the first time and the setlist was incredible.  Would be a way better choice than Arctic Monkeys to headline the Pyramid - they were so dull.

Oh, and I know it’s a bit cheesy, but the new tune is a banger - can’t wait to hear the studio version on Thursday.

1 minute ago, circus92 said:

Okay I am more than a bit pissed and a big fan so a bit biased ….. but they just fucking smashed that completely out of the park at Reading.  Saw them headline 2019, and as good as it was, tonight was even better!  They seemed more relaxed than the first time and the setlist was incredible.  Would be a way better choice than Arctic Monkeys to headline the Pyramid - they were so dull.

Oh, and I know it’s a bit cheesy, but the new tune is a banger - can’t wait to hear the studio version on Thursday.

what a wet wipe

14 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Excellent glad to hear it. The setlist is incredible. I saw them at Reading 2019 and was completely blown away (very unexpectedly - I was completely against them headlining and they proved me wrong spectacularly). In 2019 that was a band rising to headline status but the hit fest I'm seeing on setlist.fm tells me they're ready for Glastonbury and I hope to see them headlining in the next few years 

23 hours ago, circus92 said:

This. they were amazing weren't they? It's. Just. Fucking. Bangers!

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 9:59 PM, Skip997 said:

not been to Reading in a while, can't imagine any reason i would ever go back - but going to see a specific act is pretty much the only reason to go to Reading.

last two times i have been were specifically to see Metallica and Iron Maiden & Dinosaur Jr.

i cant say whether people would go to "a" festival just because of one act, but in the case of Reading, yes, absolutely.

there's nothing else to do there, so why else would you go?

4 minutes ago, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

not been to Reading in a while, can't imagine any reason i would ever go back - but going to see a specific act is pretty much the only reason to go to Reading.

last two times i have been were specifically to see Metallica and Iron Maiden & Dinosaur Jr.

i cant say whether people would go to "a" festival just because of one act, but in the case of Reading, yes, absolutely.

there's nothing else to do there, so why else would you go?

They sell day tickets, so yeah some people almost certainly do go for a day specifically to see a headliner.