The 1975

NorthernSoul52

In the interest of us digging out potential Pyramid headliner-specific threads left, right and centre...

The 1975. We've discussed much elsewhere over the past few days, but with a new record about to land, this can be a handy place to chat over whether those prospects are ironclad, make-or-break or over the hill.

• Thanks 1

Yes please. 

Very excited about the new era and what direction they go in after the fourth album was written off as w*nky. I didn’t think NOACF was as bad as it was made out to be - clearly too long, but only needed to cut four or five of the songs to be very listenable.

On another note, waiting with baited breath to see whether they’ve followed through on their word and stopped using that photographer/videographer who was the subject of allegations of harassing fans. Also whether they stick to the thing about only playing festivals with gender equality. Suspect that one might go the same way as much of what Matty comes out with, unfortunately. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

9 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Yes please. 

Very excited about the new era and what direction they go in after the fourth album was written off as w*nky. I didn’t think NOACF was as bad as it was made out to be - clearly too long, but only needed to cut four or five of the songs to be very listenable.

On another note, waiting with baited breath to see whether they’ve followed through on their word and stopped using that photographer/videographer who was the subject of allegations of harassing fans. Also whether they stick to the thing about only playing festivals with gender equality. Suspect that one might go the same way as much of what Matty comes out with, unfortunately. 

Yes, Notes on a Conditional Form was unfairly slated - but its indulgences were too much to quite overlook. A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships just about justified its size - and packed at least four songs with a claim to be among the best by a British band of their generation - but think a shorter LP will do them wonders.

Alas, agreed to concur. Mouth says one thing, mind another.

9 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Wasnt there a thread already.

Probably. The search function was busted when I wanted to start this one last night though, so just bit the bullet and did it myself.

23 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Would be a contender for worst headliner of all time

Justin Bieber and Harry Styles would make stiff competition for that title. 

Throw in the Spice Girls on the Legend slot and 2023 could easily be the worst Glastonbury of all time. 

No point anyone buying tickets 😉

29 minutes ago, Dazmandingo96 said:

i commented in the 2023 headliner thread last week. i have info they will be friday headliners. i dont know if this is pyramid or other, id suspect pyramid but believe they suit the other.

Hmm interesting. Really hard to say at this point whether they’d be a contender for Pyramid or Other - small/step up Pyramid headliner (possibly not even that small come the festival if the new album can reignite some of that popularity they had around 2018) but pretty big Other headliner. Yet to be seen if they’re to be another almost-made-it like Foals or if they’ll actually be able to make the jump, which I very much think they were in the frame to do had covid not happened. 

I've given them a try and really like some of their songs (The Sound is one of the best pop singles of recent years), but the last couple of albums just seem so incoherent to me. Stylistically all over the shop, no real flow and loads of filler.

The cynic in me thinks they are just gaming the Spotify algorithms with this which pays per track, rather than by length of the music. So an album with lots of short tracks always pays better than the same length album with longer tracks.

All that aside, they are one of the more interesting groups to break through over the last few years and I wouldn't have any problems with them headlining. Whether I go would depend on who they're up against.

3 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Even on their bad days they’re miles clear of Rod Stewart, Travis, Kasabian, Oasis 2004 and Gorillaz 2010.

Bang on.  Plenty of people on here who feel that because certain acts aren't to their taste that they must be shit.  The 1975 definitely get a lot of that hate along with some others - a certain poster who is no longer on this forum was one of the main culprits of this and I certainly don't miss it.  Everyone has different tastes and that's the way it should be.

As for The 1975, they most definitely were heading for the Pyramid Headline slot pre-covid whether people like it or not.  It could go either way now.  Realistically there is now a lot riding on this new album to see if they can get back on track - there is a lot of pressure on them for it to be a hit both critically and commercially.

• Upvote 1

I keep seeing a lot of apples-to-oranges comparisons between The 1975 and Foals. No offence to the latter, but The 1975 have just about always been a bigger band, and a bigger live draw.

Is that enough to justify them stepping up to top the Pyramid? I'd argue yes, but so much will come back down to who else could be on the market.

9 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I keep seeing a lot of apples-to-oranges comparisons between The 1975 and Foals. No offence to the latter, but The 1975 have just about always been a bigger band, and a bigger live draw.

It’s like arguing a Jack Russell is bigger than a Pug. Ultimately they’re both small dogs, and there are much bigger ones out there

I’d say the 1975 are much bigger in their own lane than Foals, but the problem the 1975 have is credibility. They’ve done a piss poor job establishing themselves as a credible band outside of people who are obsessed with them.

While The 1975 have more fans, I’d say Foals have done a better job at cross-appeal. 

But still - this below sums it up.

4 minutes ago, henry bear said:

It’s like arguing a Jack Russell is bigger than a Pug. Ultimately they’re both small dogs, and there are much bigger ones out there

As previously mentioned, wouldn't their pledge to only play gender-balanced festivals put them out of contention for most (if not all) UK festivals next year? 

Quite a vague pledge but a quick Google provides their intended definition of "gender-balanced" - "festivals with a greater percentage of female and non-binary artists on the line-up".

I love Glasto, but I can't imagine it conforming to that definition by 2023...

Edited by WStoner

40 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

It was 50/50 this year wasn’t it? 

Anyway, as we’ve said, it’s exactly the sort of grand statement Matty always makes only to quietly abandon when reality hits. Certainly wouldn’t rule them in or out on that basis. 

I don't know if it was, but it certainly is closer to that target than any other UK festival (bar maybe a few very small fests).

They certainly won't get to headline Download with that attitude though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, a6l6e6x said:

Thought they looked brilliant when they headlined Reading on TV

Reckon they should do other but wouldn't be surprised to see them on Pyramid

I wasn't very excited to see them at that Reading show but went along anyway as I do like some of their songs. They absolutely blew me away. An incredible set that kept my attention the whole time. 

While I'd probably be a bit disappointed if they got announced as headliner here, I'd almost definitely be there and I'm sure it'd be amazing again. 

• Upvote 2

yes 22 tracks for NOACF was 5 or so too many it also delivered some of my favourite work by them... 'i think there's something you should know' and their other electronic leaning tracks are in their own right brilliant.

I think how Matty does press can be quite difficult for people to take who haven't already bought in / who don't enjoy their music, it doesnt exactly push you to start listening to them if you dont like them

But their music and live show speaks for itself if you give it a proper go and spin. there is a huge amount more to them than the songs that get radio play and the self indulgent tracks / media snippets you hear from matty.

think a perfect pyramid headliner for me

11 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I wasn't very excited to see them at that Reading show but went along anyway as I do like some of their songs. They absolutely blew me away. An incredible set that kept my attention the whole time. 

While I'd probably be a bit disappointed if they got announced as headliner here, I'd almost definitely be there and I'm sure it'd be amazing again. 

Totally agree with this, I went along to see them but only knew a few songs and was absolutely blown away and now one of my favourite group, I would love to see them on the pyramid!

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, WStoner said:

As previously mentioned, wouldn't their pledge to only play gender-balanced festivals put them out of contention for most (if not all) UK festivals next year? 

Quite a vague pledge but a quick Google provides their intended definition of "gender-balanced" - "festivals with a greater percentage of female and non-binary artists on the line-up".

I love Glasto, but I can't imagine it conforming to that definition by 2023...

56 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

It was 50/50 this year wasn’t it? 

Anyway, as we’ve said, it’s exactly the sort of grand statement Matty always makes only to quietly abandon when reality hits. Certainly wouldn’t rule them in or out on that basis. 

I reckon they could twist it to say that Glastonbury is putting sufficient effort in or something. Its definitely closer than others and has that charity element as well even if its not exactly 50/50. Not that it'd be that easy to count up across all the stages and get an exact number...