The 1975

NorthernSoul52

Loving it, especially as I'm a strong believer that most albums should be under an hour unless they're by The Cure. 

Really wish they were headlining now, I've always been a casual fan but since the second lockdown I've grown to love them. Struggling to find any excitement for the prospect of (probably) AM on the Friday as I feel The 1975 could absolutely kill it instead. 

• Upvote 1

Loving wintering. I imagine they'll release a remix with added bells around Christmas?

I always thought that Jack Antonoff had a Christmas banger in him after listening to Taylor Swift's All Too Well (10 Minute Version).  Towards the end it sounds like it's so close to being a chrstmas song and it sounds so good

53 minutes ago, Zacko said:

Loving it, especially as I'm a strong believer that most albums should be under an hour unless they're by The Cure. 

Lol - agreed

54 minutes ago, Zacko said:

Really wish they were headlining now, I've always been a casual fan but since the second lockdown I've grown to love them. Struggling to find any excitement for the prospect of (probably) AM on the Friday as I feel The 1975 could absolutely kill it instead. 

Yeah - it's def not a popular opinion round here, but they would be a far better headliner than AM.  You only have to look at Reading this year - The 1975 completely upstaged AM and it wasn't even close.  I have watched The 1975's 2 appearances at Glasto in their early years - they were pretty weak and I can see why people were not impressed.  However, having seen them 4 times since 2019 they have hugely upped their game since then - they put on a great show full of energy (unlike AM)  I will be seeing them twice over the next few months so not that bothered, but would love to see them get a shot at the Pyramid.

22 hours ago, circus92 said:

Album is bloody brilliant.  3 full listens from start to finish and no skips for me which is very rare. Love it!

All the bloat / interludes etc have gone and it is way better for it.  Production is incredible and it flows really well.  The 4 singles had my expectations up - thankfully the other 7 have kept that standard up and possibly even raised it higher still.  Looking for Somebody (To Love), Oh Caroline and the absolutely gorgeous About You are the highlights of the non singles. Even "The 1975" opening track has turned into a proper song (albeit leaning heavily on LCD All My Friends)

These 2 are fantastic, absolutely love them. As others have said, the album is a massive hit in my opinion. Actually love Wintering too.

23 hours ago, circus92 said:

Loving the fact they are going to play the album in full on the upcoming tour - cant wait to hear it all live.

Oh have they said this? Not necessarily a bad thing but just means less of their previous big hits in the set which is a shame. Can't have it all!

Just now, DareToDibble said:

These 2 are fantastic, absolutely love them. As others have said, the album is a massive hit in my opinion. Actually love Wintering too.

Oh have they said this? Not necessarily a bad thing but just means less of their previous big hits in the set which is a shame. Can't have it all!

Yep. Album in full first then a selection of hits afterwards by the sounds of it. Although this is Matty talking so it may well end up being nothing like that at all. 

Just now, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Yep. Album in full first then a selection of hits afterwards by the sounds of it. Although this is Matty talking so it may well end up being nothing like that at all. 

Good point 🤣

Saying that, the album is under an hour so not impossible for them to do an hour of other hits afterwards. 

+1 for Pyramid headliner over here.

14 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Good point 🤣

Saying that, the album is under an hour so not impossible for them to do an hour of other hits afterwards. 

+1 for Pyramid headliner over here.

Yep. If they play for 105-120 minutes then that’s ample time for all the key bangers. Just hope they don’t feel the need to include much of Notes ‘to make up for the fact it never got toured properly’.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

2 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Yep. If they play for 105-120 minutes then that’s ample time for all the key bangers. Just hope they don’t feel the need to include much of Notes ‘to make up for the fact it never got toured properly’. 

I can actually see them doing that, but probably only 3 or 4 max. There were some songs on there I really likes actually, If You're Too Shy, Me & You Together, The Birthday Party (I appreciate I may be alone there).

But no doubting I would rather them play some of their older stuff over those.

8 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I can actually see them doing that, but probably only 3 or 4 max. There were some songs on there I really likes actually, If You're Too Shy, Me & You Together, The Birthday Party (I appreciate I may be alone there).

any of If You’re Too Shy, Me and You Together Song, Nothing Revealed/Everything Denied, Tonight (I Wish I Was Your Boy) or Frail State of Mind would go down well in this house. Maybe Jesus Christ 2005 if they brought out the Phoebster every night. Definitely not bothered beyond that. God that album was long 😆

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

You are definitely not alone there - absolutely love that song!.  There is no denying Notes was too long, but there was still more top notch tunes on there than most have on standard 10-12 track album.  The main issue was listening to the album in full was too much of a slog.  They played Roadkill last night - saw it on youtube and it sounded great - sounds like it will be played on the tour.  Reckon there will be around 5 or 6 from Notes on the setlist

2 minutes ago, circus92 said:

You are definitely not alone there - absolutely love that song!.  There is no denying Notes was too long, but there was still more top notch tunes on there than most have on standard 10-12 track album.  The main issue was listening to the album in full was too much of a slog.  They played Roadkill last night - saw it on youtube and it sounded great - sounds like it will be played on the tour.  Reckon there will be around 5 or 6 from Notes on the setlist

Would’ve been very easy to cut it down to a 15 song album that was just as tight as A Brief Enquiry, if they’d only been more disciplined or had someone prepared to say ‘no’ to some of their ideas. Maybe that’s the one risk of not having major label oversight. 

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Also I don’t hate the album. LCD should sue them though.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve already signed a deal with James Murphy for partial royalties to go his way, or just paid a lump sum for the use. Apparently there was originally a line in the song that alluded to them knowingly ripping it off but they omitted it. 

4 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

They performed Roadkill for the first time last night, so I imagine that’ll stay.

43 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve already signed a deal with James Murphy for partial royalties to go his way, or just paid a lump sum for the use. Apparently there was originally a line in the song that alluded to them knowingly ripping it off but they omitted it. 

Seems like a massive waste of money that I can’t imagine a label happily throwing away for the lolz.

Pleased with the album. As others have said here, I think they needed to find a cinematic/aesthetic theme and stick with it for this album given the chaos of notes. Stand outs from the album cuts are Looking for Somebody to Love, Oh Caroline, About You and When We Are Together (I’ll definitely love Wintering closer to Christmas driving to and from work!). Out of the singles I really like Happiness and I’m In Love With You. All I Need To Hear was nice but without any umph to it, and Part of the Band I can live without. I do think the only negative to this album is that it’s missing a major banger a la Love it if We Made it/Somebody Else, but a really enjoyable listen and reminds me of when I first listened to a brief inquiry through.

Although Notes was their weakest efforts, it did spawn some really good tracks (If You’re Too Shy, The Birthday Party, Tonight, Guys, it was just an album that didn’t seem to know where it was heading. I enjoyed the garage infused tracks too (Yeah I Know, I Think There’s Something You Should Know, Bagsy Not in Net) but felt like they belonged more to an EP than an album. I remember reading an interview and Matty did say Notes was going to be more garage influenced than anything else, so I expected a lot more of that on the album. I love their earlier efforts like Heads.Cars.Bending and Intro/Set 3, but I think they sometimes work better as individual tracks like How to Draw stands out on a brief inquiry.

Such a shame it’s AM headlining, or looks to be, next year, as I think the 1975 would have smashed it out the park on the Friday night. I think they’d have recognised the occasion and gave it their all too, I think for AM at this stage it may just be another show (still enjoy AM and will be there given tickets come my way, but I think the 1975 should have been given that slot). I have seen talk on Twitter of their being another UK tour at the back end of 2023, so maybe more music is coming too, so maybe 2024 they could be in for a shout, but next year does just feel the right time for them to be headlining!

Not listened yet but I'm also in the boat that 1975 would be a better booking than AM. 

Listening to the opening track, I hope LCD gave them the okay for it, All My Friends is one of my favourite songs of all time and it just feels weird. 

Edited by chazwwe

2 hours ago, chazwwe said:

Not listened yet but I'm also in the boat that 1975 would be a better booking than AM. 

Listening to the opening track, I hope LCD gave them the okay for it, All My Friends is one of my favourite songs of all time and it just feels weird. 

think it's a reference to everyone saying Sex ripped off LCD too

Never been a huge fan but really liking the new album. 

Can see its gone down well critically too and will most likely be 5 out of 5 for number 1 albums.

Can't see any logic in Emily not wanting to slot them in a Friday night pyramid headline slot in 2024

Well, been banging the drum for enough months that it would be a disappointment to suggest this is anything but a corker.

Very little filler on this one, flows nicely. Big fan of About You late on - save Happiness, might be the best off the record.

Intrigued at the notion of - presumably - a full show fronted up by the record in full. That feels like a gamble for a whole tour if it doesn't connect the way they hope.

But, in the name of speculation, and with The 1975 (BFIAFL) as a taped-in intro:

1 Happiness
Looking for Somebody (To Love)
3 Part of the Band
4 Oh Caroline
5 I'm In Love With You
6 All I Need to Hear
7 Wintering
8 Human Too
9 About You
10 When We Are Together
11 Love Me
12 Chocolate
13 TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME
14 If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know)
15 It's Not Living (If It's Not With You)
16 Robbers
17 Somebody Else
18 Love It If We Made It

19 People
20 The Sound
21 Sex
22 Give Yourself a Try