LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

Just now, 4AssedMonkey said:

I think LCD and Simz as Pointo subs are both odd placements.  I like both acts, and will probably see Simz, but they'd both work much better on Other/Holts.

Simz has a narrative element to it - widely-admired local act, moving up the line-up, her time to shine, happy for her, etc

No similar vibes for LCD.

Generally speaking, does the strength of the three Pryamid headliners alone have a lot of weight as to how the lineup is received, regardless of the acts underneath? Or does this go for the whole Pyramid itself and not just the headliners?
If the same lineup had Fleetwood Mac, Taylor Swift and Stevie Wonder at the top would it be a completely different attitude?

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

I think perhaps some of the 'underwhelmed' ness on here is because everything gets discussed, analysed or acts playing get tipped off in such detail that by the time the line-ups do come out none of it is a surprise to anyone.

Its why I avoid the site build up threads when the festival gets close as I like to have at least one surprise when I arrive on site! 

Said this yesterday to mates … excitement has dropped around the poster and build up for me . Actually quite liked the not knowing when it might drop in a funny kind of way . 

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

Said this yesterday to mates … excitement has dropped around the poster and build up for me . Actually quite liked the not knowing when it might drop in a funny kind of way . 

People were losing their sh*t over the poster not being out and its still gone into the top 5 of early release dates.

9 minutes ago, st dan said:

Generally speaking, does the strength of the three Pryamid headliners alone have a lot of weight as to how the lineup is received, regardless of the acts underneath? Or does this go for the whole Pyramid itself and not just the headliners?
If the same lineup had Fleetwood Mac, Taylor Swift and Stevie Wonder at the top would it be a completely different attitude?

I think many do place stock in the 3 Pyramid headliners, but not to my mind.  That said, if you dropped the 3 acts you've quoted in place of what we have this year I'd be massively more excited!

15 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I think perhaps some of the 'underwhelmed' ness on here is because everything gets discussed, analysed or acts playing get tipped off in such detail

To insane levels. Quite off putting. The headliner thread this year has been a total binfire.

Emblematic of a declining western civilization.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, VicAtreides said:

Does anyone else think LCD as a Pyramid sub is a bit off? For what it’s worth I love them and saw them at WHP back in 2017 and it was one of my favourite ever gigs, but they feel like they’d translate so much better to other stage headliner or even West Holts at a push and the pyramid atmosphere might see their sound get a little… lost? Or maybe I’m just overthinking it. 

I think a lot of people feel this way, myself included. Just really hoping to grab a great spot with some LCD fans around me 

1 minute ago, northernangel said:

One thing with this booking a 50/50 female/male split, why clash two female options on the two biggest stage. It's become apparent that Janelle and Avril will both clash. That means half a set at Janelle then over as Avril is a no brainer.

Why'd you have to go and make things so complicated?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, northernangel said:

One thing with this booking a 50/50 female/male split, why clash two female options on the two biggest stage. It's become apparent that Janelle and Avril will both clash. That means half a set at Janelle then over as Avril is a no brainer.

Why is that different to clashing two male options? This is exactly what should be happening with a balanced gender split. Female isn't a genre.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Sure

but the size gap is even bigger than with wizkid

You could surely say similar about SZA? Holding acts back because 'their fans aren't there' isn't going to make their fans come

Is that not the exact same situation as Idles though?

Festivals have (or should have) a duty to *create* headliners, not just sitting there waiting for them to come to them. Else we’d just be having Established Festival Headliners like INSERT BAND WHO WERE POPULAR 10-15 YEARS AGO every year.

WizKid very much not my cup of tea but fair play for giving him the gig.

Edited by LinvoyPrimus

2 hours ago, mikegday said:

Paul Heaton in the sun with a warm beer 👌🏼

gutted on first look, but know I’ll have amazing moments..

Remember there is nothing yet for Acoustic or Avalon, unless one or two of those …ALSO… people are for one of those 2 stages.

The more I look at this line up, the more I feel an idiot for feeling initially disappointed this morning. There's tons of stuff on there I listen to on the daily. Yes it's missing a few of the surprises or big hitters we've come to expect from Glastonbury, but relative to the festival landscape in 2024 this line up (as a festival who wants to appeal to the masses/not one genre) is still extremely superior. Gutted there's no Dave on there but know that was always a long shot. And feeling redemption to see Little Simz subbing on Pyramid as I shared on the headliner thread a few weeks ago...based on this line up it's the perfect place for her, can't wait.

5 hours ago, mikegday said:

To think we’ve gone from Madonna and Stevie Nicks to this, I’d be devastated

Every festival is having a down year. Glasto included. Coachella was trying to get the Stones, Olivia Rodrigo, Dua and others. Rage were gonna play but  ended up breaking up so they were off the table and had to get somebody else. They turned down Shakira. Theres just something up with booking this year.

1 hour ago, LinvoyPrimus said:

Is that not the exact same situation as Idles though?

Festivals have (or should have) a duty to *create* headliners, not just sitting there waiting for them to come to them. Else we’d just be having Established Festival Headliners like INSERT BAND WHO WERE POPULAR 10-15 YEARS AGO every year.

WizKid very much not my cup of tea but fair play for giving him the gig.

And Coachella gets laughed at for taking chances with younger acts getting the too billing. Then Glasto dares to do it every few years and is crucified for it. Theyre going to have to do it eventually cause theyre running out of the old Michael Eavis special. So all the old gits gotta get used to the new normal.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Superscally said:

Faithless, The Breeders, This is the Kit, London Grammar, Fontaines, half of Woodsies - especially ALVVAYS, Squid, Jordan Rakei, Black Pumas, Jungle, Justice, Last Dinner Party, Bloc Party, Confidence Man, IDLES, the National, Michael Kiwanuka, PJ Harvey, Little Simz, LCD Soundsystem, Coldplay.

That's pretty bloody awesome and I have been selective here.

If anyone hands their ticket back, on the basis of the lineup alone - amazing. I will drink your salty tears instead of a Berocca and pray that the likes of @nikkic get your ticket.

Maybe Glastonbury isn't for you? 

There's absolutely no chance I will be handing my ticket back despite my disappointment at the lineup. Haven't read through all of this but are actual real life people claiming they are considering doing this?

• Like 1

I will not be handing my ticket back. I know it’s still a really good lineup and my day will be full. It really is cliche but we all know it’s way more than just the lineup.

It’s just unfortunate there’s no one there that absolutely blows my mind. 

1 minute ago, mikegday said:

I will not be handing my ticket back. I know it’s still a really good lineup and my day will be full. It really is cliche but we all know it’s way more than just the lineup.

It’s just unfortunate there’s no one there that absolutely blows my mind. 

I'm going with my in laws, partner and kids this year so I was only intending on having one or two must sees and otherwise going with the flow. This is kind of my approach anyway most years. At the minute there's nothing falls into that "must see" category unfortunately. I'm probably at an age now where there will be more stuff away from the main poster that will interest me. Really gutted the two Stevies are out as either would have been a perfect booking for our group as a whole.