LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

I know not everyones cup of tea, but really hoping for Sam Fender again this year. 

Think he's a phenomenal talent, his set in 2022 (Admittedly on saw it on iPlayer) was quality, crowd so engaged.

My mate went to see him on my recommendation having not known of his stuff before and loved it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jacko45 said:

I know not everyones cup of tea, but really hoping for Sam Fender again this year. 

Think he's a phenomenal talent, his set in 2022 (Admittedly on saw it on iPlayer) was quality, crowd so engaged.

My mate went to see him on my recommendation having not known of his stuff before and loved it. 

Wouldn't get your hopes up, sub headliners don't tend to return the following year. 

Could be a headliner option in 2025 though. 

15 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Wouldn't get your hopes up, sub headliners don't tend to return the following year. 

Could be a headliner option in 2025 though. 

My first year, so not HUGELY worried about the line-up music wise, will have lots to occupy myself.

But currently about 6 people I want to see haha. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2023 at 10:46 AM, t0paz said:

The perceived problem with WG was that it was too popular on the Thursday, leading to overcrowding. I think we need to give the festival more credit than to assume they would take it away and replace it with nothing. That would just lead to anywhere else on site with acts on being far busier than they were already. It’s not like there is tumbleweed blowing through an empty Shangri La on a Thursday evening. Evolution can be a very good thing!

Aye, it was pretty wild! Those Thursday afternoons were responsible for some of my favourite ever festival memories.  Not got anything to add to the convo, just wanted an excuse to post these 🙂

image.thumb.png.c9f4115c9987e19c07e7703890f16cd9.png
image.thumb.png.9ef28156caec8321aec32a27888730eb.pngimage.thumb.png.3d6b24877d3d49532326c0034c1c3f5a.png
image.thumb.png.aeec5f50684ce6df5eac838baf185ec0.pngimage.thumb.png.2dde9cea584e02c951265fe6095a1bd9.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Aye, it was pretty wild! Those Thursday afternoons were responsible for some of my favourite ever festival memories.  Not got anything to add to the convo, just wanted an excuse to post these 🙂

image.thumb.png.c9f4115c9987e19c07e7703890f16cd9.png
image.thumb.png.9ef28156caec8321aec32a27888730eb.pngimage.thumb.png.3d6b24877d3d49532326c0034c1c3f5a.png
image.thumb.png.aeec5f50684ce6df5eac838baf185ec0.pngimage.thumb.png.2dde9cea584e02c951265fe6095a1bd9.png

Saw 3 separate couples get engaged in there in 2017

13 hours ago, Twiggy553 said:

Saw 3 separate couples get engaged in there in 2017

In 2019 we saw a couple who got engaged there in 2017 come back and do the whole dirty dancing rountine on stage...it was a bit tense when the girl did the running jump thingy and her bloke lifted her over his head but it was great fun and everyone was cheering 🤣

Edited by gazzared

22 hours ago, Havors said:

Yeah thats what I mean... to just remove it from the areas is strange. Unless its just a mix up

The site snaps on the website has the photo below, so it must still be an area.

gf030.png

8 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

90 minute queue at the Smiler according to my son who was there on Tuesday. 

Been shocking ops this year. No Nemesis and a few other rides down continually pushing the queues up elsewhere... Not unusual for early season though.

The best time to go will be midweek June /  Early July (outside the holidays) or mid week September... Always is. 

42 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Been shocking ops this year. No Nemesis and a few other rides down continually pushing the queues up elsewhere... Not unusual for early season though.

The best time to go will be midweek June /  Early July (outside the holidays) or mid week September... Always is. 

For years I was a member of staff taking 200 teenagers down to Alton Towers on school trips. Seven hours in a bus leaving at midnight, then back again after a day trying to keep them under control, confiscating alcohol etc etc. add in a day on the coasters and it took a week to recover.  But it was fun! 

16 minutes ago, EMCsquared said:

Do you guys reckon there's a chance of Imagine Dragons playing? They played back in 2014 and they're currently touring 

To be fair they do have a GSH in their schedule, but I really dont see a place for them this year, I think they are second or third down on the pyramid or maybe headline other and it feels like all the slots are already occupied

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

For years I was a member of staff taking 200 teenagers down to Alton Towers on school trips. Seven hours in a bus leaving at midnight, then back again after a day trying to keep them under control, confiscating alcohol etc etc. add in a day on the coasters and it took a week to recover.  But it was fun! 

I know all about "Scottish School Trip" week... I was the member of staff at Alton Towers that did the presentations to classes, on the history of the park, in the early noughties. 

Fun fact... That classroom behind guest services where we did those talks adjoins the huge storage area where the hire wheelchairs, amongst other things, were stored. Happy memories of waiting for classes to turn up, in there with my mate, popping wheelies and stunts on the wheelchairs. 🙈😂

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

To be fair they do have a GSH in their schedule, but I really dont see a place for them this year, I think they are second or third down on the pyramid or maybe headline other and it feels like all the slots are already occupied

I agree with you, I'm not sure they'd be considered anything lower than other headliners / Pointy Sub... They're up there as contenders for one of the most popular bands on the planet if you look at streams... 

621693418_Screenshot2023-05-07001151.thumb.jpg.03fcbb70829b4c6c89be1d40923bb89d.jpg

And they place 9th on Ranker, 8 places above Arctic Monkeys in 17th, they also have way way more streams than AM, and they're headlining the Pyramid. 

https://www.ranker.com/list/most-famous-rock-bands-right-now/ranker-music

But then again, they don't seem the type to be too stuck up their own arses to take a lower spot, and it may just be what this year's line up needs. A popular band, who despite having been around the block a few times, are still very 'current.' 

Edited by Alvoram

2 hours ago, Pr0paneNightm4re said:

I don’t think Imagine Dragons are really that big in the U.K. they’re headlining the 2nd stage at R&L this year, probably their most suited U.K. festival, and the reception to them being announced was abysmal

Definitely not as big here as elsewhere to be fair... Still hugely popular though, and very on trend right now with Dan's tickytocky virality.

I'd rather see them than AM personally, and I know a few people who will be at Main Stage West rather than East at Leeds... 

11 hours ago, Alvoram said:

I agree with you, I'm not sure they'd be considered anything lower than other headliners / Pointy Sub... They're up there as contenders for one of the most popular bands on the planet if you look at streams... 

621693418_Screenshot2023-05-07001151.thumb.jpg.03fcbb70829b4c6c89be1d40923bb89d.jpg

And they place 9th on Ranker, 8 places above Arctic Monkeys in 17th, they also have way way more streams than AM, and they're headlining the Pyramid. 

https://www.ranker.com/list/most-famous-rock-bands-right-now/ranker-music

But then again, they don't seem the type to be too stuck up their own arses to take a lower spot, and it may just be what this year's line up needs. A popular band, who despite having been around the block a few times, are still very 'current.' 

They're so awful though...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

AM are worse, IMO

I mean, for all of AM’s faults, that’s simply not true, and especially when it comes to Glastonbury, who I would bet would never book Imagine Dragons ever again due to 1. How shite they are and 2. How big of a slot they’d no doubt demand. 

• Upvote 3