The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

I was ok Wednesday and Thursday. But really felt the heat Friday onwards. For me it was too hot. I had eye problems due to dust and glare issues, which I'm still suffering from, (although they are improving all the time). I really enjoyed that small sprinkling of rain on Sunday. Of all the Glastonbury's I have been to, I have never suffered with the heat like I did this festival. I still had a good time. But I also had a terrible time too. Was so pleased to get some cloud cover on Sunday. It really helped me feel more human again. 

Edited by sime

It all turned out to be a good mix in the end, didn't it?

The only really tough point was Thurs afternoon and morning/early afternoon on Saturday.

Luckily some of the acts I wanted to see during the hottest spells were in tents Thurs.

Still don't believe people when they say they can walk/dance 25k+ steps in 30 odd degrees and do everything how they normally would tho, and then also party all night. Like, Saturday was really tough to move around and it was only 26-27.

Even pro athletes wouldn't think that's a good idea.

I'd have taken what happened over any mud year, but definitely could have done with a few more passing clouds. In hindsight I should have watched tented stuff between 12-3ish just to avoid the most intense sun, like usually I wouldn't go out in that stuff on a hot day. 

This thread (and the one on the 'other place') definitely made me too pessimistic about the weather too! Only one half tube of sunscreen, no after sun, didn't even pack lightweight trainers for if it was roasting... nearly packed waterproofing spray so I could give the tent a once over when it was up! 

9 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

The only really tough point was Thurs afternoon and morning/early afternoon on Saturday.

Luckily some of the acts I wanted to see during the hottest spells were in tents Thurs.

Still don't believe people when they say they can walk/dance 25k+ steps in 30 odd degrees and do everything how they normally would tho, and then also party all night. Like, Saturday was really tough to move around and it was only 26-27.

My phone logged 136km from Tuesday lunchtime to about 3am Monday morning. I like walking when it's hot 🙂

12 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Yep, opinions on here that love heat seem to be in direct contradiction to people on site.

On Saturday the woods, the path behind the kids field and basically every tent were incredibly hard to move through as they are shaded and littered with people. Stages on the other hand were easy to walk into.

I appreciate some people enjoy the heat, but we're all human, I don't believe that anyone moved around site as much as they would have in 20 degree heat (and Sunday seemed to confirm that)

The main issue with the weather for me was not getting enough sleep. Temperature in the tent at 7am was unbearable so I spent a lot of time during the day lying in the shade resting. Crazy to say but at one point on Saturday I thought I'd take 2016 over this!

17 minutes ago, catavento said:

I'd have taken what happened over any mud year, but definitely could have done with a few more passing clouds. In hindsight I should have watched tented stuff between 12-3ish just to avoid the most intense sun, like usually I wouldn't go out in that stuff on a hot day. 

This thread (and the one on the 'other place') definitely made me too pessimistic about the weather too! Only one half tube of sunscreen, no after sun, didn't even pack lightweight trainers for if it was roasting... nearly packed waterproofing spray so I could give the tent a once over when it was up! 

It was very clear from this thread for a long time it was likely to be a warm festival with very little if any rain. Maybe the trolls got into your head!

8 minutes ago, paulshane said:

My phone logged 136km from Tuesday lunchtime to about 3am Monday morning. I like walking when it's hot 🙂

But are you only walking, or dancing as well in the full sun? And dancing at night too?

I clocked up in that timeframe about 100km. 

If all I was doing is ambling about site, then the heat/sun, isn't that bad. But dancing in 26 degrees/full-sun for 5 days straight. No doctor's gonna recommend that.

6 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Yep, opinions on here that love heat seem to be in direct contradiction to people on site.

On Saturday the woods, the path behind the kids field and basically every tent were incredibly hard to move through as they are shaded and littered with people. Stages on the other hand were easy to walk into.

I appreciate some people enjoy the heat, but we're all human, I don't believe that anyone moved around site as much as they would have in 20 degree heat (and Sunday seemed to confirm that)

People were sleeping under the cars in CarHenge, down the side of the main tents, sitting against the bins.

And I agree with the last part 100%. There are temperatures which are better for excessive exercise of walking great distances/dancing in the full (or lack of) sun.

There's always a lot of bravado when it comes to sun and heat tolerance. Every single person I met on site said the same things. "It's too hot at times." "There's no shade."

8 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

The main issue with the weather for me was not getting enough sleep. Temperature in the tent at 7am was unbearable so I spent a lot of time during the day lying in the shade resting. Crazy to say but at one point on Saturday I thought I'd take 2016 over this!

Time to invest in a Fresh and Black tent then. I’ve been going on about them since 2017 and more people are converting to the light/dark side. Getting that extra couple of hours of sleep each day makes so much difference. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Time to invest in a Fresh and Black tent then. I’ve been going on about them since 2017 and more people are converting to the light/dark side. Getting that extra couple of hours of sleep each day makes so much difference. 

I usually stay in worthy view and as great as it is the tents have no ventilation at all so they become unbearable. Need to think of a solution for next year. It's the lack of sleep that really took its toll on me come Saturday/Sunday.

35 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I did 180k steps over the weekend and it was absolutely brutal in that heat. Absolutely sapped me.

I'm normally very much up for staying out until 3-4am but it simply wasn't happening this year - was done by 12.30-1am each night. Not complaining too much as had the best weekend and maybe it's also me getting old. I forget I was only 24 when I first went in 2007 and as much as I try to pretend, I'm not like I used to be!

It was not 2010 all over again. 

it rained on me the second I got to the camping field. And I mean RAINED!!!

Also 3 spots landed on me Sunday afternoon. I declare it a washout and continue on with 2010 All over again for 2024 

Peace out one love, I hope you all had fun! 

A touch too hot for me this year, but certainly would take it over any amount of rain. Just being able to sit down at any point is life-saving. Croissant Neuf on Saturday afternoon was an utter sweatbox and by the time I got to Manics was quite withered. But as soon as the sun went down, glad to find my energy levels recovered.

I concur about the lack of sleep as never got beyond about 8am. This meant that my evenings were running out of steam by about 2am which feels very square.

I have a coleman blackout tent. Did anyone with a Fresh+Black have a better experience? I'm thinking of an upgrade.

Saturday was a bit too hot but overall it was almost perfect imo. Saturday that sun was inescapable, even at Lizzo felt like I was just gettting pounded by it. Somehow I managed to get sunburnt on the Monday when packing up lol. Something about the wind or the hills (f**k knows) seems to make it so easy to burn  out there 

1 hour ago, catavento said:

Because of the type of heat some of the tents were unbearable too. The open ones like Avalon/Acoustic/Woodsies were fine, but most of the stuff in T&C (Cabaret, Circus Big Top, Astrolabe) are mostly closed around the sides with a few entrances each, and they got very unpleasantly humid. After Steve Frost Improv All Stars at the Astrolabe on Saturday, they actually had a guy up on the roof of the tent opening it up so the hot air had somewhere to go!

34 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

I usually stay in worthy view and as great as it is the tents have no ventilation at all so they become unbearable. Need to think of a solution for next year. It's the lack of sleep that really took its toll on me come Saturday/Sunday.

You can get Fresh and Black awnings which might do the job, won't be quite as good but should help a fair bit.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Because of the type of heat some of the tents were unbearable too. The open ones like Avalon/Acoustic/Woodsies were fine, but most of the stuff in T&C (Cabaret, Circus Big Top, Astrolabe) are mostly closed around the sides with a few entrances each, and they got very unpleasantly humid. After Steve Frost Improv All Stars at the Astrolabe on Saturday, they actually had a guy up on the roof of the tent opening it up so the hot air had somewhere to go!

You can get Fresh and Black awnings which might do the job, won't be quite as good but should help a fair bit.

Yes, the circus tents really gave no respite from the heat. I found Leftfield unpleasantly hot at times too. I got through it with the help of fans (one classic paper fan, one battery-operated) and using my just-in-case umbrella as a parasol. Because of the weather I changed my plans a lot - ie, staying to watch what was going on around me rather than walk far for a band I only felt so-so about. 

I give thanks for no serious rain, though. Looks like we really were in a magic bubble, because the south-west has rain today!

1 hour ago, briddj said:

It was very clear from this thread for a long time it was likely to be a warm festival with very little if any rain. Maybe the trolls got into your head!

Nah, I was going by the actual models and yr.no rather than the "we're doomed"! I knew it was going to be warm at times but it definitely felt warmer and there was less rain than predicted (ie basically none). 

Saturday was the only day that was too hot for me, and its a shame that it made the circus tents unbearable.

Theres definitely areas where more outdoor shade is needed. Really f**k all to be found around T&C and Acoustic, and a long walk to more shaded areas in that heat isnt the answer.