The Resale Spreadsheet Roll Call (Take 3!?)

vintagelaureate

Do we know for sure that the refresh rate lockout is per IP address? I seem to remember having a lot of windows open last time. Firefox, edge and chrome normal windows on one monitor and the same but in incognito mode on the second. Manually refreshing one of them every few seconds, letting the rest do their own thing.

19 minutes ago, Fish Bulb said:

Very happy I opened this thread and clicked that link, I'm supposed to be trying to help 3 of my friends get tickets on Sunday in the general, just put their details in there and 2 out of the 3 were invalid! 🤯

Definitely helps to know today instead of Thursday/Sunday. 

1 minute ago, curlylocks88 said:

I just did lots of updates on my laptop to get it as quick as possible for Thursday. Apart from closing all other programmes is there anything else I can do to speed it up? 

I will try from my office as the wifi is faster than my home. 

I genuinely think it's just a bit of luck. I don't think the speed of things really comes into it. 

16 minutes ago, curlylocks88 said:

I just did lots of updates on my laptop to get it as quick as possible for Thursday. Apart from closing all other programmes is there anything else I can do to speed it up? 

I will try from my office as the wifi is faster than my home. 

Don't fall into the trap of having multiple tabs open on the same browser.  You can use multiple browsers (Chrome, Firefox etc) but multiple tabs doesn't help.

At least that's the received wisdom I've been given. Someone can probably either yay or nay that depending on whether I'm talking shite

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

Don't fall into the trap of having multiple tabs open on the same browser.  You can use multiple browsers (Chrome, Firefox etc) but multiple tabs doesn't help.

At least that's the received wisdom I've been given. Someone can probably either yay or nay that depending on whether I'm talking shite

No I'm pretty sure that's correct. Also think there's a worry about the WiFi in an office might be shared - so I understand you shouldn't do that if any of your colleagues are.

20 minutes ago, Quark said:

OK, thank you for the tip 🙂

23 minutes ago, Quark said:

Aye, I've referred a couple of times to this post from @parsonjack who uses multiple devices, but they're spread over multiple connections and none of them are refreshed too frequently. 

I think the fear with triggering their throttle is not knowing what you've done or how to reset once you have.

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Aye, I've referred a couple of times to this post from @parsonjack who uses multiple devices, but they're spread over multiple connections and none of them are refreshed too frequently. 

I think the fear with triggering their throttle is not knowing what you've done or how to reset once you have.

OK thanks

No one will be in my office when I try - so should be fast wifi. 

I only have one laptop and one mobile but will use the different browsers. 

Thanks for the tips all 🙂

2 hours ago, clarkete said:

Aye, I've referred a couple of times to this post from @parsonjack 

Exactly that....the fear and doubt.

If anyone fancies a bit of fear then simply open the https://glastonbury.seetickets.com/content/extras page and hit F5 more than once per second over a 60 second period.....

Try it now.....you should get a 'busy' page on your 60th F5.  The fear is that in a real sale scenario you could get that page and not know if it was the real 'busy' page, or the one they throw at you for F5-ing like a lunatic.

Having multiple devices each with a single browser/tab and each on a separate  connection, and refreshing at no more than 1/second ensures you stay clear of the limit but cumulatively amounts to more than 1 refresh/second thereby maximising your chances.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, al_coholic said:

If only someone could find a direct IP address for that URL like happened many years ago!

Afraid it doesn't work like that any more. That URL currently has 5 x IP addresses which in essence represent 5 'backend' servers that process booking requests. When you make a request you are automatically assigned to the least busiest server by a process called 'load balancing'.  The only advantage to hitting the IP of one of those servers directly is to avoid the DNS lookup and load balancing process, which might save you, like, a couple of milliseconds.  The risk though is that the IP you use of the 5 is currently the busiest server, and there's no way of knowing that beforehand.  Simply sticking the IP in the URL won't work either as the load balancers inspect the incoming requests and will deny such requests.

The only 'cheat' (and this is what happened years back) is to find a server that is capable of processing requests but is outside the load balance process....perhaps even sitting idle as a back up to be added to the mix if needed.  In this scenario the IP of that device would be useful as if could be added to your devices 'Hosts' file so that when you hit the main URL you are directed to it.  See are very wise to it these days ao any chances of such happening again are somewhat remote I'm afraid.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

The only 'cheat' (and this is what happened years back) is to find a server that is capable of processing requests but is outside the load balance process....perhaps even sitting idle as a back up to be added to the mix if needed.  In this scenario the IP of that device would be useful as if could be added to your devices 'Hosts' file so that when you hit the main URL you are directed to it.  

Even that year I bodged that aspect.  I was thinking I was so clever and thought "I'll just go to the IP, I don't need to edit the hosts", but I really did need to 🤣

1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

Exactly that....the fear and doubt.

If anyone fancies a bit of fear then simply open the https://glastonbury.seetickets.com/content/extras page and hit F5 more than once per second over a 60 second period.....

Yeah, I get that now with the booking page. And once you get it, it affects all tabs in that browser. For a few seconds at least.

I think the single tab in multiple browsers seems the best approach. But also not hammering refresh. Especially not more than once a second. 

21 minutes ago, t0paz said:

Yeah, I get that now with the booking page. And once you get it, it affects all tabs in that browser. For a few seconds at least.

I think the single tab in multiple browsers seems the best approach. But also not hammering refresh. Especially not more than once a second. 

And if you're worried that you have tripped it, just leave it to do it's own refresh after 20 seconds and you should get out of the trap.