On this day…

Tartan_Glasto

12 minutes ago, Quark said:

I remain convinced that you didn't search that hard 😄

It's hard to explain sometimes that times like that can be just as good as, if not better than, the stuff going on at the stages or that you see on telly. Outrageously good fun just knocking about, meeting new people and soaking up the atmosphere (and alcohol).

We wandered around the festival waving a bottle around and slurring "has anyone seen Gumby, we have his mead!"

What more do you want?

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

We wandered around the festival waving a bottle around and slurring "has anyone seen Gumby, we have his mead!"

What more do you want?

I had the pleasure of catching up with him at BDs in 2018 for a beer. Had that wonderful moment of introducing him to my brother with "...and this is, um, well, this is Mr Gumby".

Brother took it well in his stride to be fair.

1 hour ago, grumpyhack said:

Being a lucky caravanner we are allowed to arrive a day earlier than campers so Monday is a pitch up and settle in and meet up with old friends (usually in East 17).  First meal cooked at the festival and and evening of catching up.

Great moment is a stroll to the top of the Hill of Death to look out over the site and realise that we're home.  The view at night with all the site lights is amazing.

Tuesday morning a leisurely breakfast and then a wander down to get wrist banded and watch the campers struggling in with their tents with an imaginative range of trucks, trollies and prams.

After collecting our programmes it's a wander back to the van to sit and chill and start planning our days and then a gentle bimble around the site.

I think you're getting Tuesday and Wednesday confused 🙂

Gates don't open to the public until wednesday.

22 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

So you’re basically saying you get to Stay Another Day?

I get the song reference. However, I think that grumpy has got it wrong hasn't he? Isn't it Tuesday during the day that caravans are allowed on site? Which, admittedly would allow caravaners to 'Stay Another Day'.

2 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I get the song reference. However, I think that grumpy has got it wrong hasn't he? Isn't it Tuesday during the day that caravans are allowed on site? Which, admittedly would allow caravaners to 'Stay Another Day'.

yeah, the caravan fields started opening up in tuesdays a few years back.

5 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Didn’t want the facts to get in the way of a cheap joke. Sorry!

Edited by balthazarstarbuck
  • Upvote 1

I lucked out in 2016. Got the NX coach from London around 11am and arrived at the festival about 3 Hrs later. Did see some people attempting to walk en route but just presumed that was maybe normal. Totally oblivious to what was happening on the roads or the conditions of the grounds on the site.

1 minute ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I lucked out in 2016. Got the NX coach from London around 11am and arrived at the festival about 3 Hrs later. Did see some people attempting to walk en route but just presumed that was maybe normal. Totally oblivious to what was happening on the roads or the conditions of the grounds on the site.

How??? I had friends stuck coming from London for hours. 

I got the train. Ended up being the first one there and getting very drunk on JD Honey. Went to meet them hours later at one of the gates, where they found me passed out on some woodchip. Great times!

Just now, Sasperella said:

I got the train. Ended up being the first one there and getting very drunk on JD Honey. Went to meet them hours later at one of the gates, where they found me passed out on some woodchip. Great times!

There’s ways and means and luck … we happened to take a shortcut in street and took a risk that we might get through … after being stationary for 2 hours … we popped out onto the main road around west pennard … taking what would have been many hours off the journey 

34 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I dunno to be honest. That was the one and only time I got the coach from London and the people I was with who got it the previous year said to expect it to take ages before we even got out the city. I don't know if the driver took a different route or what but yeah, we were set up in Pylons by the afternoon. 

We did have to help a group of girls that arrived about 11pm due to delays set up their tent in the dark. They self admittedly didn't know what they were doing and, after a day of drinking, we were very gung ho in helping them out. 

1 hour ago, paulshane said:

I think you're getting Tuesday and Wednesday confused 🙂

Gates don't open to the public until wednesday.

You're quite right.  We arrive by caravan on Tuesday and general gates open on Wednesday.  Absence makes the brain get muddled.

Tuesday Glastonbury week 2019 

1st full day on site as arrived on the Monday, benefits of being on recycling crew and able to get on site earlier. 

Had a wander around the site seeing it going through the final preparations. Sussed out the crew bars I knew about and a few I didn't. 

I was flying solo as usual but bumped into a few people I know on the recycling crew and joined the Worker Bees FB page pub crawl. This was good fun and staggered home later through the only rainstorm of the festival. 

Had planned on getting up early Wednesday to walk up to the Glastonbury sign and watch all the public arrive but due to too many beers Tuesday night that didn't happen. 

Tuesday night, just had a meal in Glastonbury town and now heading for a night in the car park, listening to Worthy FM . I’m really missing it! At least the countdown to next year can now start in earnest. And on the subject of anniversaries just realised next year we will be celebrating our 45th on the farm! 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris