LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

3 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Beyonce > Adele

U2 > Muse 

and Coldplay just gonna Coldplay 

Adele is bigger than Beyoncé surely. And especially Adele 2016 vs Beyoncé 2011.

edit: and Coldplay 2016 were bigger than Coldplay 2011.

Edited by jparx

Just now, jparx said:

Yeah, in terms of their stature at the time 2016 is the strongest. Beyonce is a huge name obviously but she was on second last at T in the Park that year too. She's a lot bigger now than she was back then, probably partly because of that set. U2 are bigger than Muse but I think Adele swings the 2016 as the strongest overall.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

edit: and Coldplay 2016 were bigger than Coldplay 2011.

Yeah, people looking at 2011 and seeing Beyonce are forgetting that - at the time - she wasn't the megastar she is today.

At the time there was a theory that she was originally supposed to be sub under Coldplay on the Saturday but got moved because they lost the Sunday headliner. Can't remember who it was though. Probably Prince. It was always Prince.

She did also sub at TITP a couple weeks later.

Just now, kingcrawler said:

Yeah, in terms of their stature at the time 2016 is the strongest. Beyonce is a huge name obviously but she was on second last at T in the Park that year too. She's a lot bigger now than she was back then, probably partly because of that set. U2 are bigger than Muse but I think Adele swings the 2016 as the strongest overall.

Yeah I think we all here look down on 2016 as being a bit shit headliner wise ‘cause Muse and Coldplay aren’t most of our vibe, when really it was a fucking massive year, if not just a bit stale due to having two regulars popping back up again. 

1 minute ago, kingcrawler said:

Sounding very Gazza here 

Beyonce is a huge name obviously but she was on second last at T in the Park that year too. I didn’t go as it would be over a 5 hour drive each way and I don’t like driving up the M6 and petrol prices weren’t great at the time. There was also no other act I’d want to see on the lineup. Beyoncé would have been good but she doesn’t play the one song I like.

• Upvote 5

How we are defining “biggest”? Is it by today’s standards or at the time?

Compare 2020 to 2011.

Macca v U2 - Macca probably slightly bigger but both are globally huge acts who sell out stadia everywhere they go and have been for years. Gonna call that a draw.

Coldplay v Taylor - Coldplay were just approaching their peak in 2011 and certainly weren’t doing the numbers Taylor does these days. Win for Swifty.

Beyoncé v Kendrick - Not much of a contest here, Kendrick has critical acclaim but Bey was entering her imperious phase when she took the stage in 2011. Easy win for Queen Bey.

Conclusion: They’re about the same.

19 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

If they had someone like a Coldplay or Arctic Monkeys in for Kendrick, yeah. 

That said, 2020 is definitely one of the best they've had in terms of covering the bases. Which is a different thing. 

Nah. Two absolutely massive American headliners and a beatle is as big as it gets for me.

Kendrick and Taylor are absolutely huge. Maybe not to every Glasto attendee but that’s two GOAT’s + a beatle. Woah.

7 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Beyonce is a huge name obviously but she was on second last at T in the Park that year too. I didn’t go as it would be over a 5 hour drive each way and I don’t like driving up the M6 and petrol prices weren’t great at the time. There was also no other act I’d want to see on the lineup. Beyoncé would have been good but she doesn’t play the one song I like.

This actually made me die

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Nah. Two absolutely massive American headliners and a beatle is as big as it gets for me.

Kendrick and Taylor are absolutely huge. Maybe not to every Glasto attendee but that’s two GOAT’s + a beatle. Woah.

Kendrick is a lot of things but huge is not one of them, did you see his Super Bowl bit? Mf’er looked like Boss Baby in that suit. 

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I love Kendrick but he’s nowhere near the size/status you think he is.

The 2011 headliners were/are all stadium fillers. 

Kenny isn’t even the biggest rapper to headline Glasto. 

17 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Woah, looks like you had a random rabble moment there!

14 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

GOAT'S how? Greatest hip-hop star ever? Bullshit! Greatest popstar ever? Double bullshit!!!!

1 hour ago, whitehorses said:

And if it becomes a pop festival filled with Doja Stallion 

xx 

Its still a festival of contemporary music, inevitable it'll have more of those acts in if they stay popular. 

They wouldn't be shifting many tickets if the headliners were still similar to 1981 (Ginger Bakers Nutters/Hawkwind/Taj Mahal if you're interested)

Just now, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Bet Kendrick gets a smaller crowd than Stormzy.

Genuinely I think Kendrick is going to have one of the smallest modern-era Pyramid headline crowds. Who has had the smallest one since, say, 2000?

6 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Its still a festival of contemporary music, inevitable it'll have more of those acts in if they stay popular. 

They wouldn't be shifting many tickets if the headliners were still similar to 1981 (Ginger Bakers Nutters/Hawkwind/Taj Mahal if you're interested)

It was entirely a joke (bad joke perhaps, but still)

1 minute ago, K2SO said:

Genuinely I think Kendrick is going to have one of the smallest modern-era Pyramid headline crowds. Who has had the smallest one since, say, 2000?

At the start, or at the finish?

Probably a different shortlist for each.

1 minute ago, K2SO said:

Metallica or Arcade Fire have gotta be up there surely, but yeah, unless Kendrick releases a banger of a commercial hit single or something in the next few months, I can’t imagine he’s gonna have a massive crowd.

2 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Yeah I agree.

I’m normally not close enough to notice but I moved to half way back the field during Muse in 2016 and it felt deserted. Felt more full at Wolf Alice the following day.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I think the mistake everyone, including me, has made is thinking that bringing the balance deadline forward automatically means the lineup comes forward to.

Under normal circumstances we would still be at least 2-3 weeks away from anything coming out. Looks to me like the festival are just sticking to their usual timelines for announcing.

Yeah but theyve had twice the amount of time to book artists. In a normal year it would be seen differently. Thats one of the biggest issues here is that they had more time but still appear to be scrambling when they really shouldnt be. I mean this could all become moot if it comes tomorrow morning just a week after Macca teased and that was their schedule all along, or so it would appear.