LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

Am I the only person who would like to see the line up after payment deadline, mostly just to keep this entertainment going and because I love the fact that the more I go to this beautiful bastard of a place the less the line up means to me each year, especially if I have one must see headliner which I’ll have when the confirm Macca (which  incidentally I didn’t in 2109 and probably had my favourite festival seeing Fatboy, the Chems and the Streets as my headliners)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barneym said:

Am I the only person who would like to see the line up after payment deadline, mostly just to keep this entertainment going and because I love the fact that the more I go to this beautiful bastard of a place the less the line up means to me each year, especially if I have one must see headliner which I’ll have when the confirm Macca (which  incidentally I didn’t in 2109 and probably had my favourite festival seeing Fatboy, the Chems and the Streets as my headliners)

I think if covid hadnt happened there wouldnt be as big of a problem if it was after the window. Its more that theyve had so much time to take care of this that it would seem more frustrating that they couldnt have that initial poster ready to go by this coming week.

2 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

I think if covid hadnt happened there wouldnt be as big of a problem if it was after the window. Its more that theyve had so much time to take care of this that it would seem more frustrating that they couldnt have that initial poster ready to go by this coming week.

To be fair, if COVID hadn't happened then nor would the tax break that they're taking advantage of, so the window would be in April as usual.

3 minutes ago, incident said:

To be fair, if COVID hadn't happened then nor would the tax break that they're taking advantage of, so the window would be in April as usual.

Good point. Still, they had seemed to be trending on doing it a bit earlier anyway. But if it had been delayed at that point the assumption is they had a headliner issue more than anything. 

What do we reckon then, Macca announced on his tod at some point this week, or the lineup poster proper drops instead and the specific (presumed) Macca announcement is shelved?

I reckon the lineup poster was planned for this week all along, and it’s too late/much effort to delay it so Macca gets his own announcement beforehand. Macca, Kendrick and the poster just drops together this week is where my money is going.

I’m not sure we will get any announcements for a few weeks, Glastonbury’s profile means they will be more aware of optics of an announcement during the early stages of the Russia invasion. 

other festivals are announcing because not that many people are aware of their existence and announcements aren’t front page news, as they are for Glastonbury.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Smeble said:

I’m not sure we will get any announcements for a few weeks, Glastonbury’s profile means they will be more aware of optics of an announcement during the early stages of the Russia invasion. 

other festivals are announcing because not that many people are aware of their existence and announcements aren’t front page news, as they are for Glastonbury.

What? 

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Other festivals announcing = fine.

Glastonbury announcing = offensive.

I literally fail to understand this.

I think its more to do with news coverage of the announcement being overshadowed by Ukraine 

1 minute ago, gfa said:

I think its more to do with news coverage of the announcement being overshadowed by Ukraine 

Is Glastonbury heavily dependent on the news coverage? It’s sold out. 

Also, might not be what we want to hear but the news will be talking about Russia for a long time. Glastonbury can’t wait for a quiet spot.

Whats happening in Russia is incredibly serious and no doubt integral to what the festival has fought against. Yes they probably delayed McCartneys announcement due to the situation but that was because it was the day everything kicked off.

They can’t stop absolutely everything they have planned because of the news. Just as much as you are probably expected to go into work next week. I hardly doubt anyone is going to look at a Glastonbury announcement and think “oh wow that’s so insensitive to Ukraine”, and the news still will cover it despite there being a much larger news story. It’s all a bit remote. 

I don’t think your average Joe would see a Glastonbury announcement in the next week, and think ‘what a disgrace, in these circumstances?’ Within this circle (Efestivals) I think we have a habit of believing everyone holds the festival as highly as we all do.. when the majority of the country really couldn’t care less. They may watch it on the BBC, but they aren’t tracking the announcements and seeing if there is a pattern.

I personally, don’t see how it would be in bad taste now. The day of the invasion, fair enough, but in the festivals history how many ongoing atrocities/wars/famines etc. have happened? The festival may comment on it, install a gesture/artwork/something to symbolise their support. But I can’t see it being the cause of any delay.

edit: Oh my god, now I’ve posted something similar to Matt. The comeback is truly here.

Edited by Andy0808 v5
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Point out to me where I said that? 

other festivals are announcing because not that many people are aware of their existence and announcements aren’t front page news, as they are for Glastonbury.

That reads to me like you are saying because of Glastonbury’s stature it has to be more morally virtuous than others, and announcing now would be irresponsible.

9 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

I don’t think your average Joe would see a Glastonbury announcement in the next week, and think ‘what a disgrace, in these circumstances?’ Within this circle (Efestivals) I think we have a habit of believing everyone holds the festival as highly as we all do.. when the majority of the country really couldn’t care less. They may watch it on the BBC, but they aren’t tracking the announcements and seeing if there is a pattern.

I personally, don’t see how it would be in bad taste now. The day of the invasion, fair enough, but in the festivals history how many ongoing atrocities/wars/famines etc. have happened? The festival may comment on it, install a gesture/artwork/something to symbolise their support. But I can’t see it being the cause of any delay.

edit: Oh my god, now I’ve posted something similar to Matt. The comeback is truly here.

This season of Matt is a distinct improvement.

We're doing what we always do. Trying to add logic to predicting when the announcements will be based on what we can see going on in the world. Current events, when other festivals are announcing, what's on telly that night....

In reality, they will probably have a date planned some time in advance that they're working to, based on factors behind the scenes that we don't know and can't estimate, like artist demands. I know that's boring but whatever.