2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Reflektor had a lot of hype I think, and the suburbs put them on the map to people who wouldn’t ordinarily listen to their music.

I just can’t see it really. The kids have moved on and they don’t seem to have been embraced by the mature festival crowd.

The reason why acts like Taylor Swift Coldplay, Rolling Stones, Foo Fighters etc are such strong options is that age demographic doesn’t matter when it comes to their fans.

I think you're being a bit premature. I have no wish to see them headline, but there's clearly mutual respect and with them smashing reading, I think it doesn't take much to put them back in the frame. 

I was in an extremely bad way for the Arcade Fire 2014 set, I just remember being quite close to the front as it was a thin crowd.

I’ve seen them a couple of times at their own shoes and their Reading 2010 set is one of my favourites. Would love them to come back at some point, I imagine if the next release goes under the radar they could be Other stage level; but highly doubt it.

4 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

I was in an extremely bad way for the Arcade Fire 2014 set, I just remember being quite close to the front as it was a thin crowd.

I’ve seen them a couple of times at their own shoes and their Reading 2010 set is one of my favourites. Would love them to come back at some point, I imagine if the next release goes under the radar they could be Other stage level; but highly doubt it.

Yeah I think their time as a Glastonbury sized headliner has gone. I'd put them about APE/Latitude level nowadays.

11 hours ago, august1 said:

If you are in or around the pit it will be good but the rest of field will just be chatter waiting for bad guy tbh.

If memory serves then she actually did this first in 2019. Followed by an entire set of songs few people knew (the majority probably went for her 2 better known songs), before ending with Bury A Friend.

*I may have got those 2 songs the wrong around around.

Edited by DareToDibble

15 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

If memory serves then she actually did this first in 2019. Followed by an entire set of songs few people knew (the majority probably went for her 2 better known songs), before ending with Bury A Friend.

*I may have got those 2 songs the wrong around around.

Yep, came out and opened with it.  Have to say I was hugely impressed by the massive brass balls to use up her main banger instead of saving it for the midway lull or the set closer.

It was an annoying move to open with Bad Guy when a lot of the crowd (including me) had come from Miley on the Pyramid and therefore missed the first 5-10 minutes of her set. I was then stood around a group of people who also seemed to be a clueless punter who'd just turned up to see what the hype was about and then waited 40 minutes for no Bad Guy which is the only song a lot of people knew going into the set.

6 minutes ago, Miyn said:

It was an annoying move to open with Bad Guy when a lot of the crowd (including me) had come from Miley on the Pyramid and therefore missed the first 5-10 minutes of her set. I was then stood around a group of people who also seemed to be a clueless punter who'd just turned up to see what the hype was about and then waited 40 minutes for no Bad Guy which is the only song a lot of people knew going into the set.

I'm not sure "make your set suitable for people who aren't arsed to watch the thing from the start" is essential advice.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Yep, came out and opened with it.  Have to say I was hugely impressed by the massive brass balls to use up her main banger instead of saving it for the midway lull or the set closer.

Fair play to her though for managing to drag the midway lull out right to the end of the set.

1 hour ago, Miyn said:

I was there from the start, managed Bad Guy and a couple more…. That was as much as I could handle.

Also caught her new song on the music channels the other day…. I felt pretty downbeat after.

In summary - I’ll be very far away from the Pyramid stage when she plays

3 hours ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Arcade Fire at Reading 2010 will always be my favourite gig of all time.  Couldn’t have been more obsessed with a band at that point and those first three albums were pretty much perfect.  Spent the whole Saturday on the barrier waiting for their set. The way they merged Rebellion (Lies) into Neighbourhood #3 was spine tingling! 

Sorry for digressing!

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Arcade Fire at Reading 2010 will always be my favourite gig of all time.  Couldn’t have been more obsessed with a band at that point and those first three albums were pretty much perfect.  Spent the whole Saturday on the barrier waiting for their set. The way they merged Rebellion (Lies) into Neighbourhood #3 was spine tingling! 

Sorry for digressing!

Honestly, I didn't even like them until The Suburbs and then that set blew my mind. Very quickly turned into a band I loved after that.

Didn't think much of the last album, mind, but I would definitely go and see them when they play again (GF or tour).

3 hours ago, Quark said:

43 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

On strange set choices, I once saw The La's at V Festival 200? and they OPENED with There She Goes then played rest of gig to a very empty field........

Maybe this should be a new thread.

The Mavericks opened with Dance The Night Away when they headlined Avalon in 2017. Absolute scenes*

*probably.

14 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Maybe this should be a new thread.

The Mavericks opened with Dance The Night Away when they headlined Avalon in 2017. Absolute scenes*

*probably.

Chesney Hawkes played our student union.  He opened with The One And Only.

He also closed with it. Apparently some stuff happened in between.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Chesney Hawkes played our student union.  He opened with The One And Only.

He also closed with it. Apparently some stuff happened in between.

I wonder how rich he has become by touring the student unions.

He played ours about 20 years ago. Came on stage, picked up his guitar and said " I'd like to play something off my new rec....." the rest of it was drowned out by boos, plastic pint pots being hurled in his direction and chants of "play the fucking song!!" 

Edited by Hugh Jass

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I wonder how rich he has become by touring the student unions.

He played ours about 20 years ago. Came on stage, picked up his guitar and said " I'd like to play something off my new rec....." the rest of it was drowned out by boos, plastic pint pots being hurled in his direction and chants of "play the fucking song!!" 

Similar timeframe, was obviously on the circuit then.

I'm guessing he played yours early on, he'd clearly learned what the crowd were after by that point.

See also: Ultra Naté