2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

8 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

This is where I find this endless speculating over festival acts like you're talking about footballers or FTSE100 stocks extremely tiresome: Wolf Alice are more than capable of having a smash album and festival campaign next time around, if they wanted to write a couple of big festival or radio bangers for their next record. They're well regarded, acclaimed, galvanizing a really good fanbase, have all sorts of media support.

Waving away young bands like this that are ultra creative, hungry, smart and have barely got going as "peaked" is just ridiculous, and so dismissive when we should be actively willing on acts like this to be potential top liners on the circuit.

100%

Some incredibly hot takes in this thread which pretty much boils down to “I’m not a fan of that artist/genre, so it can’t happen”

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I liked Blue Weekend, but not sure it was really the commercial breakthrough for them that some may have expected.

Mmm it got them their first number 1, singles played on Radio 1, positive reviews from the Telegraph to the Guardian, a Mecury nom... what else are they supposed to do? 

44 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Bit of an off-topic one, but Wolf Alice chat made me think of it... Any guesses for Thursday at William's Green?

I'm gonna say Glass Animals and Fontaines DC

Mysterines? Radio 6 regulars, decent tour size. Maybe a little too early for them to be the big Thursday draw but reckon they'll be somewhere on the farm.

27 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I liked Blue Weekend, but not sure it was really the commercial breakthrough for them that some may have expected.

This is all I’m saying. A band can be big and do well without necessarily being on the headline track. Not every act is destined to be a headliner one day.

My thoughts are that if Wolf Alice were going to become the next big thing it would have happened by now. It’s easy to just say well it could happen, but if Blue Weekend isn’t doing it the next album would have to be massive.

8 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

This'll happen regardless.  It won't be as bad as when they booked Kanye and suddenly Neil Lonsdale was in the news and Emily was getting death threats.

Man, those were dark days. 

I put it in as an acknowledged caveat but you’re right, it’s something they shouldn’t worry about too much. There will always be unhappy people whatever they do (and that applies to almost anything). It doesn’t necessarily correlate to what happens at the festival and Emily needs to follow her instincts. In this case I actually think it would be worth riling those people up to have two women on top of the bill.

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Genuine question... If Harry Styles is considered a future headliner then is Liam Gallagher too? He is unarguably one of the biggest acts in the country these days, has already headlined Reading and Latitude and seems to be playing bigger and bigger shows every year.

If Styles is headline material then surely Liam is too...

Sheeran headlined, thats almost a guarantee if Styles was popular enough that he was gonna get a shot. I think Emily will wait as long as she can to get Oasis, but will settle for Liam or Noel for that matter one year if theyve got some other solid headline options to join em.

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Mysterines? Radio 6 regulars, decent tour size. Maybe a little too early for them to be the big Thursday draw but reckon they'll be somewhere on the farm.

I'm 99% sure they'll be there. I'd expect they could be one of those bands that plays about 80 sets across the weekend.

I just feel like this year is going to be a strong one for WG though. Remember a few years ago they had The 1975 and Metronomy? I think the following year was Drenge (who weren't even due to play the festival) and Wolf Alice. Something in my jellies tells me it's going to be a bit more of a pair of heavy-hitters than Wet Leg and The Mysterines. Nothing to go off other than a gut feeling.

Just now, K2SO said:

I'm 99% sure they'll be there. I'd expect they could be one of those bands that plays about 80 sets across the weekend.

I just feel like this year is going to be a strong one for WG though. Remember a few years ago they had The 1975 and Metronomy? I think the following year was Drenge (who weren't even due to play the festival) and Wolf Alice. Something in my jellies tells me it's going to be a bit more of a pair of heavy-hitters than Wet Leg and The Mysterines. Nothing to go off other than a gut feeling.

Might be able to find out if they’re there actually.  Shall ask

5 hours ago, chazwwe said:

For real though, people should go listen to Harry Styles - She, genuinely a good track. Great production, great guitar solo. 

I'm surprised Coachella didn't manage to get Olivia Rodrigo though. With her tour it would be nuts if Glastonbury got her and not Coachella.  

Probably said no because it was gonna be too big of a stage at the moment. One of her support acts that is really close friends with Olivia explained the mindset they had when booking the tour. They know that they couldve played bigger venues to meet the demand but since Olivia has never toured thats not fair to her. She wants to cut her teeth in more intimate settings and then move up, just like any normal artist would. I seriously doubt she was going to be comfortable doing an hour long set inside an arena for her first show let alone having a spot most likely on the main stage of Coachella with 75,000 people staring back at her. You also lower the risk of not crumbling to the pressure and putting on a sub par performance. Booking Glasto is after having done one proper tour and figuring it out at least. If things were “normal” she wouldve played Coachella last year and been billed really low but likely had gotten a decent slot and had played some shows which werent selling out in 2 seconds so theres less pressure. Now everyone expects her to compete with Billie from the get go which isnt ideal.

Worth mentioning that Sports Team were booked for the Thursday at WG in 2020, they could be asked to play again as they're around. I think Wet Leg will definitely be one of the two on Thursday, their label will cream themselves over the chance to add "packed Glastonbury secret set" to the list. I just hope it isn't as warm as 2019, as it was fucking roasting in there on the Thursday evening.

Kinda feels like we’re talking up Harry in a void of preferred talent rather than through merit. I’m not saying he’s without value but Coachella booked him after multiple preferred acts passed and now he’s the next in line to the Glastonbury throne? GTFO. 

9 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Kinda feels like we’re talking up Harry in a void of preferred talent rather than through merit. I’m not saying he’s without value but Coachella booked him after multiple preferred acts passed and now he’s the next in line to the Glastonbury throne? GTFO. 

Well a few days ago The Weeknd released an album and he was the next headliner, then a few days before that Emily mentioned that Guns N’ Roses still exist so they were the next headliner. It’ll be someone else soon enough. Don’t fret.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Well a few days ago The Weeknd released an album and he was the next headliner, then a few days before that Emily mentioned that Guns N’ Roses still exist so they were the next headliner. It’ll be someone else soon enough. Don’t fret.

Of course. Can’t wait x

26 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Ah but who will we be talking about when the music stops?