2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Just find it weird that Dua wouldn’t be doing any UK festivals this summer when she’s doing festivals in the states and mainland Europe. If she was at R&L I could see her skipping big G but big G is the only UK festival left for her to pop up at.

If it was a no festival tour (like Billie’s) I could understand it, but the whole tour is a mix of venues and festival shows.

As I keep trying to explain, she sold a lot of tickets for a European tour that’s had to be rescheduled and that is her first priority. That tour is now taking place over the festival season where it’s much easier to bake in the likes of Roskilde than it is to fly back to the UK  to do the odd show.

It won’t have been a conscious decision, more a case of the logistics and commercials of rescheduling a European tour making it very difficult.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

As I keep trying to explain, she sold a lot of tickets for a European tour that’s had to be rescheduled and that is her first priority. That tour is now taking place over the festival season where it’s much easier to bake in the likes of Roskilde than it is to fly back to the UK  to do the odd show.

It won’t have been a conscious decision, more a case of the logistics and commercials of rescheduling a European tour making it very difficult.

Also she’s already headlining the other festivals she’s playing at. There’s no benefit to not doing them, whereas with Glasto there is a chance she can move up to headline the Pyramid if she holds off a year.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Besides, she's headlining all the festivals she's doing this year. Why would she go way out of her way to play a lesser stage at Glastonbury this year when she's big enough to headline the Pyramid?

18 minutes ago, Boomtowner said:

Can I ask where the information about Sam Fender playing 3rd down on the Other originated? Surely all of the exposure he's generated over the last 12 months would mean that he's more likely to headline the Other than some of the names mentioned on here.

If he's lower down I can foresee the same issues that they had with Rag n' Bone Man a few years ago, when the crowd seemed a little crowded and unsafe.

Well informed poster said they’d heard Sam was 3rd on the Other. I believe they said they knew someone connected to him? 

12 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Also she’s already headlining the other festivals she’s playing at. There’s no benefit to not doing them, whereas with Glasto there is a chance she can move up to headline the Pyramid if she holds off a year.

12 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Besides, she's headlining all the festivals she's doing this year. Why would she go way out of her way to play a lesser stage at Glastonbury this year when she's big enough to headline the Pyramid?

These too.

My view on DL is “not impossible, but improbable”.

18 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I don’t think she was booked for half of these festivals she’s doing though, so I’m not sure about the fulfilling ticket holder wishes. Pretty sure most of her dates on this tour are new dates.

She's also getting headline money at these EU festivals. I know people love to big up the ~but it's Glastonbury!!!~ thing here but flying her entire crew and dancers back to the UK for an underpaid slot she's more than maxed out on at this point doesn't make sense to me. I think a lot of you underestimate how poorly paid Glastonbury is and when you're working with teams of literally 30 people or whatever it needs to be worth the travel and cost, and at this point in her career I'm not sure this Other slot is, particularly as she wouldn't even be getting the media priority in terms of television coverage.

She'll have an album out next year and can easily headline off the back of a couple of singles off it, no bother.

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t think she was booked for half of these festivals she’s doing though, so I’m not sure about the fulfilling ticket holder wishes. Pretty sure most of her dates on this tour are new dates.

Plenty of the arenas were booked in 2020 though, the Sweden and Norway ones for instance. They’re the priorities to fulfill. Then it makes sense to add a few more to cash in on her rise in popularity over the last couple of years and then some Euro festivals ask you to headline…

Edited by Hugh Jass

So entertaining the view she’s out (even though I strongly disagree and think it’s a reach) why do we think Fatboy in her place? He’s a questionable other headliner as it is and going up against the biggest headliner of the weekend? Sounds a bit risky.

Who could be an option similar to Dua that would actually take a chunk of Macca’s crowd away? 

Also I think Glasto would want at least one female act headlining the other.

Doja or Megan to step in where Dua was would make sense to me. They would also do a good job of lowering Macca’s crowd numbers. 

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, AlexOvd said:

Fatboy Slim would be a very bad choice against Macca, the Pyramid would be rammed. If Dua Lipa is not there, then a name like Lorde would make much more sense and would attract way more people than Fatboy Slim, that you can see him any other year in smaller stages. 

Lorde I’d argue would be an even worse choice than Fatboy Slim. She’s a niche popstar as it is and she just had a flop album.

Edited by Matt42

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

So entertaining the view she’s out (even though I strongly disagree and think it’s a reach) why do we think Fatboy in her place? He’s a questionable other headliner as it is and going up against the biggest headliner of the weekend? Sounds a bit risky.

Who could be an option similar to Dua that would actually take a chunk of Macca’s crowd away? 

Also I think Glasto would want at least one female act headlining the other.

Doja or Megan to step in where Dua was would make sense to me. They would also do a good job of lowering Macca’s crowd numbers. 

We know we have at least one new Other headliner (Foals), so one of the 2020 ones must have either dropped out or be playing elsewhere. The festival seem keen to carry over the 2020 lineup where possible, even the acts who were booked with a nod to it being the 50th like Skunk Anansie, so while I had originally thought he’d be replaced by someone else they may well have offered Fatboy Slim his slot again. Pet Shop Boys seem very likely to be back, so if someone has dropped out then at this point Dua Lipa makes more sense than Fatboy Slim for me.

I do think they’d prefer to have a woman headlining one night but maybe there just isn’t anyone around who the festival thought was suitable. I don’t think Lorde would draw a huge crowd for it now and I’m not convinced they’d book someone like Doja Cat that high up.

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

Could be worse for her

63283642-D84F-4CCB-99B9-FA614D56F785.png

Tbh all of these dates sold out before she dropped the record. 

I have tickets with a group to the london shows and I’m not going to lie some of my friends have forgotten they’ve purchased tickets. I’m actually expecting a few to put theirs up on sale when the bank holiday weekend comes up and other events are announced (club nights, street parties etc). 

Edited by Matt42

46 minutes ago, Boomtowner said:

Can I ask where the information about Sam Fender playing 3rd down on the Other originated? Surely all of the exposure he's generated over the last 12 months would mean that he's more likely to headline the Other than some of the names mentioned on here.

If he's lower down I can foresee the same issues that they had with Rag n' Bone Man a few years ago, when the crowd seemed a little crowded and unsafe.

Sometimes bands ask for a lower slot so there's less competition on the other stages. Think The 1975 have done it previously- guarantees yourself a huge crowd and the hype that comes with it. Acts are looking for maximum exposure audience wise and to create as much buzz as possible from their set.

17 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

Fatboy Slim would be a very bad choice against Macca, the Pyramid would be rammed. If Dua Lipa is not there, then a name like Lorde would make much more sense and would attract way more people than Fatboy Slim, that you can see him any other year in smaller stages. 

They had Chase & Status on at the same time as the Stones and I’d say Fatboy Slim is more of a household name/bigger draw than they are. Some people just don’t give a fuck about those dinosaur rock acts and would rather go for a big ol’ gurned up boogie. He’d do just fine in that slot imo.

• Upvote 5