Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

It's 70% of the total population unfortunately, kids can still get it and pass it on.

There will be lots of vaccination centres of various sizes, every hospital and GP will be able to do it eventually, but it's the big ones that will get it done quick and there's supposedly gonna be 42 of those. All the smaller ones will help though!

Ultimately the closer we are to herd immunity the more likely it is that festivals will be allowed to proceed next summer, so fingers crossed. 

7 minutes ago, Mimo said:

It's 70% of the total population unfortunately, kids can still get it and pass it on.

There will be lots of vaccination centres of various sizes, every hospital and GP will be able to do it eventually, but it's the big ones that will get it done quick and there's supposedly gonna be 42 of those. All the smaller ones will help though!

Ultimately the closer we are to herd immunity the more likely it is that festivals will be allowed to proceed next summer, so fingers crossed. 

UNder 18s arent getting vaccinated. 

7 minutes ago, Mimo said:

I think what I said is still correct. There are no plans to vaccinate under 18s currently. 

We do not know that the vaccine stops you transmitting the virus which is why the focus is on the vulnerable.

BBC reporting today 70 vaccination centres not 40. 

If we know the virus stops transmission then I will concede that you'd need 70% total vaccinated so more of the adult population required.

I don't know what the target is, in terms of how many they want to be vaccinated in an ideal world; percentage wise? But regardless, they have to lift most of the shackles when the over 50's + health workers have been done.

We can't sit here waiting for people aged 20 - 40 to be vaccinated. We'll be asking if Glastonbury 2022 is gonna go ahead if that's the case, never mind 2021. The biggest fear is hospitals being overrun. That should, in theory, be eliminated once the older people have been vaccinated. An extremely high percentage, 90%+, of younger people should be able to see the virus off in a few weeks by self isolating.

Edited by mufcok
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I guess something that needs to be considered is the fact that FMS is made up of volunteer doctors etc ... will this make an impact on the delivery of the vaccine / availability to have large events ? or is it done in leave ?

It's all voluntary work, separate from any NHS duties.

They haven't been notified as of yet regarding Glastonbury 2021, later planning than normal, which gets me a little concerned.

It needs to go ahead,

1. Cos Glastonbury

2. I was showing off and declared I’d have a tattoo of the festival on my arse if it didn’t. A promise I pledge to keep. 

If I’m gonna rely on anybody to get a job done right and my arse intact it’s the tories.

😭😭😭😭😭😭

@Glastobation on Twitter 👋🏻

7 minutes ago, terryaanderson said:

It needs to go ahead,

1. Cos Glastonbury

2. I was showing off and declared I’d have a tattoo of the festival on my arse if it didn’t. A promise I pledge to keep. 

If I’m gonna rely on anybody to get a job done right and my arse intact it’s the tories.

😭😭😭😭😭😭

@Glastobation on Twitter 👋🏻

Welcome to the fold ... there is a tattoo thread on the first few pages somewhere ... I bumped it when I saw your tweet :) 

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

People from all ages and health did of flu each year. We all know this isn't the flu but the government are talking about lifting restrictions after the vulnerable are vaccinated.

As Covid 19 isn't the flu, the flu is not part of my conversation. I am well aware of what the government are planning. I am just wondering about anything which might get in the way of those plans. Hopefully nothing. But it's a thought worth having.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Old_Johno said:

99% of deaths will be prevented by the phase one vaccinations. I’m not comparing it to flu as an illness, just the practicality. We won’t achieve “immunity” through vaccination. We will just lower the death toll to something tolerable. 

Hopefully this will all work out. It's the practically which I am wondering about. If all goes to plan then great. But there are variables which might hinder things. These should not be discounted. Fingers crossed though, all will be well.

3 hours ago, Mimo said:

injecting 1 person per minute 12 hours a day it'd do 14,400 injections per day.

and no one falls off the conveyor belt

I'm still 100% happening. The deadlines people are talking about are very fluid given the year we've had - next year methinks every contractor involved in festivals is going to do whatever it takes to put it on. They are going to risk the possibility of failure for the reward of success.

4 hours ago, Joshuwarr said:

Health Secretary still working to a timeline of lifting restrictions in Spring followed by a normal Summer. Read into that as you wish.

Stresses a lot of uncertainty and he actually said 'a much more normal summer'. not 'a normal summer'.