Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Not even if people can get tested say a say or 2 before and log the negative result against their reg?

It covers for all the possible concerns that testing on the gate would bring up. 

I think this is the optimal solution.

It reduces the risk (not to zero but considerably) and is easy to administer. For attendees, it will just be a question of popping into your local Boots in the runup.

Given all this, I can't see any argument why Glastonbury wouldn't do it? They obviously don't want a major outbreak with the bad headlines that will follow and this helps.

Edited by xxialac

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Not even if people can get tested say a say or 2 before and log the negative result against their reg?

It covers for all the possible concerns that testing on the gate would bring up. 

I just can't see it personally. Could be proved wrong of course. 

It's a moot point for me as I don't have a ticket! But my feeling is that it will go ahead without or not at all, as I say. 

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

I think this is the optimal solution.

It reduced the risk (not to zero but considerably) and is easy to administer. For attendees, it will just be a question of popping into your local Boots in the runup.

Given all this, I can't see any argument why Glastonbury wouldn't do it? They obviously don't want a major outbreak with the bad headlines that will follow and this helps.

If this did this then they should also give an option that if you test positive you can roll your ticket for 2022. It would only be fair and encourage more honesty from people.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I just can't see it personally. Could be proved wrong of course. 

It's a moot point for me as I don't have a ticket! But my feeling is that it will go ahead without or not at all, as I say. 

You’ll get a ticket, I’m sure of it!

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Maybe. Realistically probably not. I genuinely think I'll be okay with it either way, as if it's on and I'm not going then hopefully I can do another festival instead. Either way will be better than last summer!

It is tough but hopefully you’ll get lucky. I’ve said it before but I can help you try for tickets in April. 

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

But why would you need a test to go to Glastonbury if you don't need one to go to an indoor gig by then? Or do people think you will do for those as well?

Yeah I think tests will be needed for events in general whilst the vaccine is rolled out. There’s probably more reason to do it for indoor events. 

Just now, Ozanne said:

Yeah I think tests will be needed for events in general whilst the vaccine is rolled out. There’s probably more reason to do it for indoor events. 

I agree tests a requirement for all mass events that can't social distance...for a transition period of a few months only.

But getting a test will be like getting a Meal Deal on your lunchbreak and probably not much more expensive.

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

I agree tests a requirement for all mass events that can't social distance...for a transition period of a few months only.

But getting a test will be like getting a Meal Deal on your lunchbreak and probably not much more expensive.

Meal deal and a test for £5.99.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Get tested 2 days before. Go to gate E if you haven't got a test to get one and spend Wednesday until you get the results quarantined in Glasto Latino 

Edited by Leyrulion
Words

I can't imagine how testing could form any part of a deliverable plan for the festival. Testing at the gate would be chaos and turn the queues into super spreader events. Testing before arrival would leave so many holes it wouldn't be worth doing.

The only way Glasto 21 can happen is if it's just given general go-ahead, perhaps with more vulnerable groups needing to evidence they've had the jab.

I've no idea really. It must be a logistical nightmare.

37 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I can't imagine how testing could form any part of a deliverable plan for the festival. Testing at the gate would be chaos and turn the queues into super spreader events. Testing before arrival would leave so many holes it wouldn't be worth doing.

The only way Glasto 21 can happen is if it's just given general go-ahead, perhaps with more vulnerable groups needing to evidence they've had the jab.

I think between us we've got it pretty much sorted. Someone give Michael a call. 

32 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Don't mean to be difficult and this is all theoretically but someone made a good point earlier.

How can an outdoor queue (perfect ventilation) be anything like as big a superspreader event as your average rush hour tube train?

By the Summer it seems inevitable pretty clear now that the tube will be back to being packed. I'd say the risk is dramatically greater but yet no one will be suggesting we close it.

Of all the measures, being outdoors is the greatest mitigation against covid. 

6 hours ago, kalifire said:

Testing before arrival would leave so many holes it wouldn't be worth doing.

If they test it will be at home like some airlines are permitting. It's totally daft and smells more like a tick box exercise. But, they are accepted, so all good. 

But, it'll not be needed - the New Statesman graph along with public attitude will mean all scientists will be locked up back in their boxes and told not to worry us any more. It'll be fine, we'll metaphor our way to greatness.

Oh wait.

6 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

If they test it will be at home like some airlines are permitting. It's totally daft and smells more like a tick box exercise. But, they are accepted, so all good. 

But, it'll not be needed - the New Statesman graph along with public attitude will mean all scientists will be locked up back in their boxes and told not to worry us any more. It'll be fine, we'll metaphor our way to greatness.

Oh wait.

Gonna be our main export come 2021

17 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Oh wait.

Why do you think it will be meaningless?

Because if people get a positive result, they'll get a fake negative and come anyway?

Surely not everyone will do this...

18 hours ago, TGCarr said:

It's actually annoying me most festivals ain't taking this approach and reducing capacity to have a small hope of going ahead.

Said it before. I really want festivals to come out and talk how they're going to be "covid secure" 

Sacha has been a major advocate of getting festivals to go ahead, moved Parklife to September. But not really spoke of what they'll be doing to hopefully get it to go ahead.

there's been around 5-10 festivals that have said something about being covid-safe in the last week(ish) ... but all of them are being vague.

I'm guessing that's because they're all still hoping that they won't actually have to do anything of any scale because the situation will have changed by the time the festival comes around.

But ... I'm also guessing that at least some of these festivals have been engaging with councils recently over their licencing, and so they've made the choice of going ahead, and are starting to plan some of what they might have to do.

So yesterday I was speaking to one of our suppliers who works at Silver Hayes during the festival and on the day Pfizer released their efficacy results he was speaking to someone who is higher up the chain than him.

Basically he was told that the festival were planning on going ahead using mass PCR 15 minute testing at the gate regardless.

Setup (supposedly) would be you do a test at the the point where your ticket is checked. Tickets will have a QR code on which will be scanned at the same time that you do your test so it then links the test to your ticket.

You would then be held in an area during which time they could carry out the usual bag checks for glass etc. 

After 15 mins or so you then go to wristbanding where they scan your ticket and have access to your test results. 

At this point you either get your wristband or don't...

Before I get piled in to about how the logistics of such an operation could / couldn't work I'm just passing on what I was told!

My personal view is this sounds a bit cut throat, imagine being about 5 metres from getting in to the festival only to be told you've failed your test but who knows! 

• Upvote 1