U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

36 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

What did your sources say about Biden getting Georgia? For me that will be the big surprise considering it’s at the heart of the old confederacy. 

interesting - cnn talking about Fulton county in Georgia being where Biden has surged, and the remaining areas to call in Georgia look very democrat.

I’l have a dig into this as my fam are based closer to the Florida / Georgia border.

41 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

When I say the polls were not that wrong, I’m talking about having results outside the margin of error. Polls essentially predict a range of results but we only ever focus on the midpoint. That’s more a factor of how the media treats polling.

This is a huge issue. Nuance in polls doesn't sell. 

"Biden predicted to win flordia" Gets more clicks then

"Florida could be between Biden +2 and Trump +1, Biden leads but equally trump might be as well were not quite sure"

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

In the end, it's good that Trump is (probably) out of office because he just too fucked up...but there isn't that much else  good that's come from this election. Trump did much better than expected despite what has been a terrible year with the pandemic...and the US is obviously massively still polarised. In the end US is a conservative country, a lot of people like low taxes, god and guns. I really can't see Kamala Harris being the next president, let alone someone further to the left. Also, the republicans have control of the senate...and the likes of McConnell will do their best to make sure everything gets blocked and help the republicans win the presidency next time...could even be Trump...he'll be able to say Biden got nothing done etc etc.

Yeah- Trump is not going away. He will keep himself relevant and in the news for a long time, possibly the next four years. Any attempt to imprison him will, unfortunately, just feed into that. The best thing Biden can do is just straight up ignore him.

With the Republicans holding the Senate, I guess we are also fucked in terms of any chance of Biden extending the Supreme Court? 

Just now, DeanoL said:

Yeah- Trump is not going away. He will keep himself relevant and in the news for a long time, possibly the next four years. Any attempt to imprison him will, unfortunately, just feed into that. The best thing Biden can do is just straight up ignore him.

To counter this, I think Biden/whoever else needs to come down hard on him to get him behind bars. Allowing him to exit the presidency and remain a free citizen just shows republicans/his followers that you can fuck the system and country as hard as you want and totally get away with it. There need to be consequences or else their 2024 candidate will just be a repeat of Trump only one who is smart enough to not say the quiet parts out loud.

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It’s this. Also because there needs to be time in case there are any problems like we are seeing now. 

I think it’s better than our system where we essentially don’t have a government between when an election is called and when a new government is formed. And when no party has a majority there’s potential for that to take a while.

While it’s never really been a problem, that’s been luck more than judgement. I can’t, for example, see any way we could even have had an election at any point this year after March. Too much of a power vacuum in an ongoing emergency.

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

To counter this, I think Biden/whoever else needs to come down hard on him to get him behind bars. Allowing him to exit the presidency and remain a free citizen just shows republicans/his followers that you can fuck the system and country as hard as you want and totally get away with it. There need to be consequences or else their 2024 candidate will just be a repeat of Trump only one who is smart enough to not say the quiet parts out loud.

What specific laws has he broken though? Isnt this the same as "throw her in jail" about Hillary Clinton? 

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I think it’s better than our system where we essentially don’t have a government between when an election is called and when a new government is formed. And when no party has a majority there’s potential for that to take a while.

While it’s never really been a problem, that’s been luck more than judgement. I can’t, for example, see any way we could even have had an election at any point this year after March. Too much of a power vacuum in an ongoing emergency.

Technically we do have a government in that instance. It’s the duty of the current Prime Minister to stay in office until it’s clear there is a new government that will be able to hold the confidence of the Commons.

Take 2010 as an example, Brown clearly lost the election but as Cameron didn’t have a majority and thus couldn’t hold the confidence of the Commons, Brown didn’t have to leave office. He only did when it was clear there was a government that could. That’s the transition of power we have in this country through our unwritten constitution.

Edited by Ozanne

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I think illness will take hold ... even before covid trump didn’t look well ... I think he will just become less well over time and less relevant ... fingers crossed 

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

What specific laws has he broken though? Isnt this the same as "throw her in jail" about Hillary Clinton? 

Isn’t there a some sexual assault allegations as well as a lot of federal money that has been diverted into Trumps own businesses that will need some investigation. 

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Georgia is proper squeaky bum time.

Anyone know when to expect more from PA? Feels like they’ve shut up shop for the night now (and fair dos)

Probably Friday. It’s currently about 6am there so could get some news soon but they are very behind in their counting as they started the postal vote count very late. 

I was thinking yesterday that CNN’s ad breaks weren’t as frequent as usual U.S. television but I can see now that that was just for Election Day as they’re seemingly back to having a break every seven minutes.

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

Not at all. There’s all the tax fraud, questionable campaign finances, obstruction of justice, the rape allegations, negligible homicide and a ton of other Covid related stuff. 

No former president has ever served prison time, so the same might happen here, but no president has ever committed such a litany of crimes, both in and out of office, and Trump knows this all too well which is why he’s currently trying anything he can to remain in office.