U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I wonder if they can do anything about the gerrymandering. That's one of the big problems at the moment if they want to hang onto power.

Tough because Scotus ruled in 2019 that federal courts do not have the power to rule on that issue. So we’ll see if something can be done. For now theres other things that can help such as the john lewis voting rights act passing. And doing something about florida disenfranchising former convicts from being able to vote and so on and so forth. Killing the filibuster might be something else. how about statehood for DC and Puerto Rico? 4 more seats that will likely always be Dem? 

And there has to be a majority leader chosen. Seems everyone is going to argue between Warren or Schumer. 

Biden and company get 2 years to clean things up. Lets see how much they push for before the midterms.

And to get the party started some more.

https://twitter.com/DecisionDeskHQ/status/1346716886340411392?s=20

Edited by Suprefan

26 minutes ago, kalifire said:

They need Ossoff to win, but the remaining vote heavily favours him so yes, it looks like The Dems have all three. 

I reckon we'll need to wait till the end of the day to celebrate, as it ain't over till its over and Trump has some antics planned for today.

(yes, I know they shouldn't work but we're talking about c**t and the c**ties here)

30 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Now they need to push all their stuff through within two years and ignore the republicans. 

Whilst winning both the Georgia seats puts them in a much better position the Democrats can't really push through whatever they like on a 50/50 split, the likes of Joe Manchin won't let them do anything radical and any senator can kick up a fuss and seek some bribes for their state if they want to be difficult.

It won't be the hopeless deadlock that it would be with Republican control but it isn't the sort of platform you'd want for reform on any kind of scale.

1 minute ago, mcshed said:

Whilst winning both the Georgia seats puts them in a much better position the Democrats can't really push through whatever they like on a 50/50 split, the likes of Joe Manchin won't let them do anything radical and any senator can kick up a fuss and seek some bribes for their state if they want to be difficult.

It won't be the hopeless deadlock that it would be with Republican control but it isn't the sort of platform you'd want for reform on any kind of scale.

When it's a 50/50 split the Vice President has a vote/decides on the Senate which pretty much gives the Democrats control but yeah, I suspect there will be the usual in-fighting on the left side to muck things up.

Just now, jump said:

When it's a 50/50 split the Vice President has a vote/decides on the Senate which pretty much gives the Democrats control but yeah, I suspect there will be the usual in-fighting on the left side to muck things up.

Yeah but to get that 50/50 you need every single democrat to vote for it, the likes of Manchin simply won't vote for anything radical and giving every democrat senator the power to flip an issue means they'll all want goodies for their states. 

2 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Yeah but to get that 50/50 you need every single democrat to vote for it, the likes of Manchin simply won't vote for anything radical and giving every democrat senator the power to flip an issue means they'll all want goodies for their states. 

That's for the whip to sort out. Who is the Democrat Senate whip at the moment and are they any good? 

The best that the republicans can hope for is that the MAGA lot get so angry they leave voluntarily. The problem with that is they will lose a pretty good chunk of their voter base!

The worst thing would be MAGA staying, and frustrating any internal efforts to move beyond Trumpism.

24 minutes ago, mcshed said:

yeah, still won't be easy for Biden, but will definitely be easier...but Biden is supposed to be good at negotiating with congress, right?

Great news to wake up to! Not to get over confidant, but after following the presidential election like a hawk, seems like the other senate race is only going one way looking at where the votes are left to be counted. I’ll leave the champagne corked until later, but it’s looking pretty good.

Who'd have thunk back on election night when Trump took Florida that the blue team would end up getting the hat trick?! 

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Great news to wake up to! Not to get over confidant, but after following the presidential election like a hawk, seems like the other senate race is only going one way looking at where the votes are left to be counted. I’ll leave the champagne corked until later, but it’s looking pretty good.

Who'd have thunk back on election night when Trump took Florida that the blue team would end up getting the hat trick?! 

Was speaking to my sis who lives in Florida and many think that Florida won’t be a swing state anymore. The cities are still pretty democrat but the Republican vote in the rural counties has really come together and the culture of mainland Florida tips Republican pretty heavily. Also, their population percentage of retirees is going up too. Seems to be that a lot of folk who want to retire in a Republican state are choosing Florida now instead of the usuals (Texas etc).

But yeah - Florida becoming less of a swing state and Georgia becoming a swing state is not something I saw coming!

22 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, still won't be easy for Biden, but will definitely be easier...but Biden is supposed to be good at negotiating with congress, right?

Well yes he is, but that is because he is a moderate himself, it's certainly good news but anyone expecting this to lead to 2 years of ultra-partisan Democrat reform is kidding themselves.

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

There will be a handful from the GOP that will vote with the Dems. Theyll have to because if they go straight down party lines, especially with regard to relief issues thatll come up in 2 weeks, you can bet theyll be on the hot seat in 2022. There will be an even greater chance to flip some other seats by then, and people will not forget what happens today.

Also itll be hilarious to see if there are maga challengers against all the republican candidates and it just makes it easier to win because of recent tactics that have obviously failed. Maga voters will not come out in droves anymore because they have lost more trust in the system than Dems have because they have seen the difference their votes make and will be happy they got off their asses for once.

Another thing is that Mitch cant even try to block any Supreme Court nominees now. I would expect 2 seats to open up while Biden is in office. Thomas and Breyer seemed primed to retire and that at least can make it 5-4 instead of 6-3. And who knows if there is an attempt at impeaching Barret or Kavanaugh. Plus expanding the court might be explored, although that can backfire. Biden is planning on appointing a lot of judges to the lower courts and that cannot be stopped now. Mitch has done his damage and its stopped for the moment. 

at least Biden will have a new health care plan that will actually exist!

Edited by Suprefan

39 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Was speaking to my sis who lives in Florida and many think that Florida won’t be a swing state anymore. The cities are still pretty democrat but the Republican vote in the rural counties has really come together and the culture of mainland Florida tips Republican pretty heavily. Also, their population percentage of retirees is going up too. Seems to be that a lot of folk who want to retire in a Republican state are choosing Florida now instead of the usuals (Texas etc).

But yeah - Florida becoming less of a swing state and Georgia becoming a swing state is not something I saw coming!

Tbh I’m not sure Georgia will even be a swing state in the next election. Add four more years worth of young voters from the Atlanta area and remove for years worth of older voters from rural areas and the gap could widen even further.

North Carolina is the one to watch next time!

Its great news and most welcome given what we're living through on this side of the pond. But, there can be no excuses for Democrats, they need to pull together and progress in all areas will need to be tangible. If the next 2-3 years is characterised by infighting and stalemate, they'll be booted straight back out. There is no easier election message for the right than 'they don't know what they want and they don't get anything done'.

I’m not sure what the worst part of this is, but it’s a toss up between the opening ‘Roger Stone did nothing wrong’ MAGA song/rap/dance, him saying ‘I want to say two words: Thank you Jesus’ or saying ‘Donald Trump is the greatest president since Abraham Lincoln, because he freed this slave’ referring to himself.

These people are insane, and it’s gonna be a long time after January 20 before this batshittery goes away:

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I’m not sure what the worst part of this is, but it’s a toss up between the opening ‘Roger Stone did nothing wrong’ MAGA song/rap/dance, him saying ‘I want to say two words: Thank you Jesus’ or saying ‘Donald Trump is the greatest president since Abraham Lincoln, because he freed this slave’ referring to himself.

These people are insane, and it’s gonna be a long time after January 20 before this batshittery goes away:

As long as they keep giving each other covid and dying off amongst themselves, they can do as they please for the moment. I cant wait for more proud boys vs the cops in a few hours. Blue lives certainly dont matter to them when they pepper spray them back.