Kasabian//Tom Meighan

RarerThanDandyB

12 hours ago, Homer said:

Everyone makes mistakes in life. He has paid a very high for his.

It seems like his 'attack' was out of character. His partner has forgiven him, so maybe it is time to give the fella a second chance.

12 hours ago, eastynh said:

It seems like his 'attack' was out of character. His partner has forgiven him, so maybe it is time to give the fella a second chance.

Looks at court transcripts of the violent attack in front a child

Nah, you're alright. 

32 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Has he?

He's not gone to prison. He still gets national news coverage in the press (with a sympathetic angle). Still rich, I imagine.

What high price?

Hes lost his job, he has to do community service, he has been publicly shamed. What more do you want? Do you want to hang him? What good does locking him up do? Is he a danger to the public? 

His missus has suggested the episide was nothing like the CPS has suggested and he has been stitched up. Seeing as his partner is not only the victim, but also the main witness, we have to give some credence to her statement.

Would he have lost his job if he worked in a factory? Probably not. Would he have been vilified on public forums if he had worked in Aldi? No he would not. So he has paid a bigger price than most. He has been made an example of due to his status.

He has admitted to his crime and accepted the punishment. By all accounts this seems an isolated episode and totally out of character. He has looked for help in relation to his alcohol use and seems to be taking steps to rebuild his life.

Domestic violence can never be excused and violence against women is abhorent. Yet the bloke does not deserve to be vilified for the rest of his days just for one indiscretion. 

His missus has forgiven him and he is trying to rehabilitate himself. Lets hope he emerges from this as a better person. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Hes lost his job, he has to do community service, he has been publicly shamed. What more do you want? Do you want to hang him? What good does locking him up do? Is he a danger to the public? 

His missus has suggested the episide was nothing like the CPS has suggested and he has been stitched up. Seeing as his partner is not only the victim, but also the main witness, we have to give some credence to her statement.

Would he have lost his job if he worked in a factory? Probably not. Would he have been vilified on public forums if he had worked in Aldi? No he would not. So he has paid a bigger price than most. He has been made an example of due to his status.

He has admitted to his crime and accepted the punishment. By all accounts this seems an isolated episode and totally out of character. He has looked for help in relation to his alcohol use and seems to be taking steps to rebuild his life.

Domestic violence can never be excused and violence against women is abhorent. Yet the bloke does not deserve to be vilified for the rest of his days just for one indiscretion. 

His missus has forgiven him and he is trying to rehabilitate himself. Lets hope he emerges from this as a better person. 

He didn't get a prison sentence and originally pleaded not guilty until the CCTV came out.

Zero sympathy. Community service is a joke for that crime. Him and his shitty music can get and stay in the sea

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

He didn't get a prison sentence and originally pleaded not guilty until the CCTV came out.

Zero sympathy. Community service is a joke for that crime. Him and his shitty music can get and stay in the sea

What good would locking him up do? How is locking him up in the publics interest?

17 minutes ago, eastynh said:

What good would locking him up do? How is locking him up in the publics interest?

Id say a prison sentence for a violent assault is perfectly reasonable. 

If under your circumstances, if it was someone working in the factory, he'd be in prison instead of whining to the papers about how unfair the consequences of his own actions are

34 minutes ago, zahidf said:

What relevance does that have to the discussion?

36 minutes ago, eastynh said:

The fact that he beat the shit out of his partner in front of a child makes me think that yes, he most probably is a danger to the public.

9 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

The fact that he beat the shit out of his partner in front of a child makes me think that yes, he most probably is a danger to the public.

He was of previous good character and by accounts this was totally out of character. There is absolutely nothing to suggest he is a threat to the public.

There are 800000 convictions for domestic violence in the UK each year. We have a prison capacity of 90000. Seeing as we can't lock them all up, should we hang them all? It also costs £118 per day to keep a person in prison. Thats money which is coming out of mine and your pockets. Locking him up benefits neither of us.

It would be more beneficial to help rehabilitate him and sort his head out. Then make him go round schools and discuss his episode with final year students as part of his community service. He could discuss the dangers of alcohol misuse and domestic abuse. Seeing a fallen rock and roll star highlight serious issues will make more of an impact on impressional youngsters and some good may actually come from this. Or we could lock him in a cell for 23 hours a day, which benefits no one.

4 minutes ago, eastynh said:

He was of previous good character and by accounts this was totally out of character. There is absolutely nothing to suggest he is a threat to the public.

There are 800000 convictions for domestic violence in the UK each year. We have a prison capacity of 90000. Seeing as we can't lock them all up, should we hang them all? It also costs £118 per day to keep a person in prison. Thats money which is coming out of mine and your pockets. Locking him up benefits neither of us.

It would be more beneficial to help rehabilitate him and sort his head out. Then make him go round schools and discuss his episode with final year students as part of his community service. He could discuss the dangers of alcohol misuse and domestic abuse. Seeing a fallen rock and roll star highlight serious issues will make more of an impact on impressional youngsters and some good may actually come from this. Or we could lock him in a cell for 23 hours a day, which benefits no one.

I'm not saying he should be locked up, but to claim he isn't a danger to the public is nonsense. If it can happen once, then it can happen again.

55 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Unfortunately your well-intentioned argument for punishment loses credibility by your obvious personal dislike for his music. It has no relevance within the context of this discussion at all

I’m very much a believer that once someone has completed their sentence and has been rehabilitated to the degree specified by the courts they should be free to return to a normal life.

All you can hope is that he is fully rehabilitated and nothing like this ever happens again.

With regards to him continuing his career that is up to the general public. There’s nothing stopping him writing or releasing music, it’s up to individuals whether they choose to engage with it or not.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

I agree with that - and as far as I'm aware nothing is stopping him getting a job and getting on with his life - maybe in a factory or Aldi where he will be out of the public eye, as you mention.

Indeed, I'd say that's already happened. No-one had posted on this thread for months, no-one was vilifing him any more, he was pretty much an irrelevance. The only reason we are talking about him now is because he got a PR company to arrange a broadly sympathetic interview with a national paper in the hopes to start rehabilitating him in the public eye so he can have a career as a famous singer again.

He chose to put himself back in the public eye. This wasn't The Sun digging into his personal life, finding something controversial in it, and reigniting the story for another round of public shaming. This was his doing.

He's allowed a life. A nice low-key life with his bank full of money and continued royalties from his songs. But if he wants to be a public figure again, if he wants to famous, then yes, he will be judged in the court of public opinion, who may feel differently. No-one is owed the life of a rockstar just because they used to have the life of a rockstar. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I agree with that - and as far as I'm aware nothing is stopping him getting a job and getting on with his life - maybe in a factory or Aldi where he will be out of the public eye, as you mention.

Indeed, I'd say that's already happened. No-one had posted on this thread for months, no-one was vilifing him any more, he was pretty much an irrelevance. The only reason we are talking about him now is because he got a PR company to arrange a broadly sympathetic interview with a national paper in the hopes to start rehabilitating him in the public eye so he can have a career as a famous singer again.

He chose to put himself back in the public eye. This wasn't The Sun digging into his personal life, finding something controversial in it, and reigniting the story for another round of public shaming. This was his doing.

He's allowed a life. A nice low-key life with his bank full of money and continued royalties from his songs. But if he wants to be a public figure again, if he wants to famous, then yes, he will be judged in the court of public opinion, who may feel differently. No-one is owed the life of a rockstar just because they used to have the life of a rockstar. 

I can't disagree with anything you have said there. He will be judged by his actions. People rightly have a negative opinion of him at present due to a horrible act. Violent acts against someone you say you love is absolutely disgusting. 

But, I have faith in people and hope he can redeem himself. He seems to be making small steps, but ultimately, actions speak louder than words.

The public will ultimaty judge him and his forgiveness will be measured in streams and tickets sold. I have not listened to the Smiths or Morrissey in years due to the continuous racist outburts. The public will do the same with the Kasabian singer.

I have no love for Kasabian and do not listen to their records. Yet, I hope this fella can turn his life around.

41 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I can't disagree with anything you have said there. He will be judged by his actions. People rightly have a negative opinion of him at present due to a horrible act. Violent acts against someone you say you love is absolutely disgusting. 

But, I have faith in people and hope he can redeem himself. He seems to be making small steps, but ultimately, actions speak louder than words.

The public will ultimaty judge him and his forgiveness will be measured in streams and tickets sold. I have not listened to the Smiths or Morrissey in years due to the continuous racist outburts. The public will do the same with the Kasabian singer.

I have no love for Kasabian and do not listen to their records. Yet, I hope this fella can turn his life around.

That's the thing though - if he remains in the public eye he will likely always be "the guy that used to be in Kasabian until he hit his wife".

I'd like to see him turn his life around too - but that won't be done by trying to get back into public life. 

26 minutes ago, henry bear said:

give it a few years of diminishing returns for both parties and Kasabian will welcome him back into the fold, citing "he's turned his life around" etc 

I reckon Serge could be one of those who becomes a songwriter for other people - he's clearly the talent in the band. I think any reunion would be from loyalty to the other members unless of course they can get into other bands, which I know does happen so maybe no need 

22 hours ago, eastynh said:

On average high-risk victims live with domestic abuse for 2.3 years and medium risk victims for 3 years before getting help.

On average victims experience 50 incidents of abuse before getting effective help

Unlikely to be a one off.

3 hours ago, Copperface said:

On average high-risk victims live with domestic abuse for 2.3 years and medium risk victims for 3 years before getting help.

On average victims experience 50 incidents of abuse before getting effective help

Yet this missus said this is the first time it happened and his ex missus said there was not one episode of anything like this in the 5 years she was with him.

If there had been other episodes with other women, they would have come out bynow and gone to the media, the police, or been posting about it on social media.

I am not going to argue with your stats. In the case of celeberaties, things are a little difference to the norm. Because of the public profile, it seems to only take one to get the ball rolling.Just look at what happened to Hervey Weinstein. As of yet, there is absolutely nothing to suggest this was anything but a clearly disgusting isolated incident. There have been no murmurs of any other misdemeanours and you can bet your life that the media have been doing some digging.

3 hours ago, Copperface said:

Also, there is a long history of the victims saying that it was an isolated incident and that they want to drop the charges.............and then it happens again.