Kasabian//Tom Meighan

RarerThanDandyB

56 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

See John Lennon has not come up yet. We all mourned his death as well

“It was a different time”. But tbf i think Lennon the man sounded like a bit of a narcissist and a gobshite even without the woman beating. Never understood the cult around him.

Interesting to hear this debate about the separation of artist and art fire up again though. I don’t see a problem with still enjoying the music I started enjoying before i knew of somebody’s crimes and that they became famous for before anybody knew of their crimes.

But nobody needs to be a rock star, other careers are available, and from the other side nobody needs this guy’s music, other artists are available and their music is still available, you don’t have to feel guilty about listening to it but I’d never go and see a guy who was a known moral reprobate* because the live music experience involves literally putting them on a pedestal for their glorification by the fans below. Similarly I wouldn’t pay for their music again because I don’t want to reward this person.

They should both want to, and be made to, live a life of obscurity. Everyone should have a shot at rehabilitation and to pay their debts to society but that doesn’t mean they get to be worshipped like rockstars do.

*just to clarify the morally reprehensible stuff is basically your wife beating, rape, noncery, racism and so on. On the whole if they’re doing crimes which aren’t hurting anyone then they can crack on 

Edited by mattiloy

But by and large people don’t say John Lennon the wife beater, they eulogise John Lennon the musician and even John Lennon the mystic, the guru, the speaker of truths, with scant mention of his other side. He’d for sure have been widely mourned anyway.

Its important to separate the individual and their output so that there can be no uncertainty on which is worth admiration. John Lennon’s music is great but it is not the consequence of his personality. You don’t need to be some tortured genius cum narcissistic prick to do anything of worth. 

Similar thing with all this about the Churchill statues - fairplay to the guy for his contributions during WW2, but he was still a c**t.

And again, not that everybody famous has to be a saint, just that they can’t be racists, rapists, nonces, wife beaters. It surely can’t be that hard to find people to glorify who aren’t these things?

*and not that people who have done these things can’t be rehabilitated or even forgiven (although that would be up to the victims), just that they don’t get to be glorified anymore. That’s all.

Edited by mattiloy

4 hours ago, zahidf said:

True but things have changed now, and the sort of indie/rock festival scene he will be in wont accept him.

Chris Brown is one example: no UK festival even tried to book him after his stuff

He's barred from working in the UK. They tried to tour him here 2 years after he assaulted Rihanna.

Tom was on Radio X talking to Chris Moyles saying he had a few ideas lined up & things in the pipe line after they discussed the cancelled Victoria Park gig & X playing last years set, that was about two weeks ago so perhaps before this incident occurred.

1 minute ago, Bisque said:

Tom was on Radio X talking to Chris Moyles saying he had a few ideas lined up & things in the pipe line after they discussed the cancelled Victoria Park gig & X playing last years set, that was about two weeks ago so perhaps before this incident occurred.

Nope the incident occurred on the 9th of April. The cynic in me thinks they all thought they had gotten away with it maybe convinced the ex not to press charges but CPS went ahead anyway hence the late statement from the band etc. From a PR perspective a lot of people seem to think they handled it ok but I think they have been appalling.  

Just in case anyone hadn’t read it this was from just a couple of weeks ago:

https://news.sky.com/story/tom-meighan-interview-i-bought-serges-record-hes-still-got-to-sign-it-for-me-12009689

I must admit reading it after the announcement but before we knew what it was for, I had kind of assumed it was down to his mental health!

8 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

https://news.sky.com/story/tom-meighan-interview-i-bought-serges-record-hes-still-got-to-sign-it-for-me-12009689

I must admit reading it after the announcement but before we knew what it was for, I had kind of assumed it was down to his mental health!

Ruddy hell, that interview has aged badly....

17 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yep I had seen it which is why I am as cynical as I am about the whole thing. 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Nope the incident occurred on the 9th of April. The cynic in me thinks they all thought they had gotten away with it maybe convinced the ex not to press charges but CPS went ahead anyway hence the late statement from the band etc. From a PR perspective a lot of people seem to think they handled it ok but I think they have been appalling.  

Apologies, it was the Johnny Vaughn Radio X podcast from 19th June.

He sounds bright in that sky sports interview..

Village of Leicester misplaced it's idiot?

My only concern is what gigs the piss slinging moronic fans will be attending instead. Note to self. Avoid at all costs.

Apologies about the generalisation. Had a really tough day.

But it does kind hold water (or piss) my point about bands and the fans.

Just cant be doing with that lark. Way too old for it. My mate sparked someone out at Kendal Calling a few years ago during the Noel Gallagher set for smashing into his 7 year old daughter and thinking it was hilarious. 

This might be slightly off-topic, but I don't quite understand 'cancel culture' in this situation.

This isn't a case like Stormzy where people went looking for old tweets and found some - he committed an act of domestic abuse that is unthinkable to most of us, you can say those who are vowing not to listen to him anymore are 'cancelling' him, but surely that's their choice? I used to listen to Kasabian when I was 14 and grew out of it, why is it any different for someone to stop supporting their music now?

1 hour ago, Jay Pee said:

Apologies about the generalisation. Had a really tough day.

But it does kind hold water (or piss) my point about bands and the fans.

Just cant be doing with that lark. Way too old for it. My mate sparked someone out at Kendal Calling a few years ago during the Noel Gallagher set for smashing into his 7 year old daughter and thinking it was hilarious. 

I know what you mean. Courteeners music is great. Courteeners fans are total arseholes. Not all of their fans but there is a definite subtype like the ones who think it’s funny to throw glass bottles into the air during a gig. 

I think there something to be said about separating peoples private lives and their professional lives!! Credit to the guy for speaking out and acknowledging his behaviour is not acceptable and making the changes he needs to live a more positive future for himself and his family! Good Luck to him! It will be a tough journey for them all!!

• Upvote 3

Despite my ramblings an hour or two back, I have to agree Funkychick.

He needs help. I'm not making any excuses for his behaviour but have been too close for comfort to death and illness of family members and friends through addiction (the legal and illegal variety) over the last 40 odd years. Including a fried who died on Monday due to renal failure.

Words you can associate with addiction. Irrational, self centered, deceit, aggression, ignorance, delusional. 

Good luck to them both and their nearest and dearest.

I won't be at the comeback gig when he straightens himself out but I hope there is one as it would mean he is back on track in life and hopefully his partner and him live a long and happy life.

• Upvote 2