Don't go to the pub

stuartbert two hats

23 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

Would like to try hatch as well. The choice in Manchester is crazy. The closure of the streets in the northern quarter have gone down really well. 

So supposed to be out for first beer Friday early on what streets are closed of in nq is it busy 

4 minutes ago, crocodiles said:

So supposed to be out for first beer Friday early on what streets are closed of in nq is it busy 

Stevenson square, Thomas Street, Edge Street and I think Tib street is too

If weather is nice it will get busy, but not really had that much so far so I can imagine hard to fully gauge - not been myself but pics in MEN look busyish but not packed

So I’ve been invited to an indoor pub with a group of 7 others for a couple of weeks time.

As far as I’m aware that’s against the government guidelines, but I don’t even know if anyone is sticking to these anymore?

A couple of the people are quite irresponsible so I’m quite worried about how they are going to act and what it’s going to be like, I feel like I will be constantly on edge as I can’t trust all of them to be sensible.

And as some of you may know, I personally feel the rules in pubs in this country are too relaxed, especially when compared to the rules in shops etc. I feel like that could make me more stressed of feeling at risk to the virus.

If it was outdoors, then I would be more willing to go, but it’s an indoor pub so that does put me on edge a bit.

Has anyone got any advice?

Just now, FestivalJamie said:

So I’ve been invited to an indoor pub with a group of 7 others for a couple of weeks time.

As far as I’m aware that’s against the government guidelines, but I don’t even know if anyone is sticking to these anymore?

A couple of the people are quite irresponsible so I’m quite worried about how they are going to act and what it’s going to be like, I feel like I will be constantly on edge as I can’t trust all of them to be sensible.

And as some of you may know, I personally feel the rules in pubs in this country are too relaxed, especially when compared to the rules in shops etc. I feel like that could make me more stressed of feeling at risk to the virus.

If it was outdoors, then I would be more willing to go, but it’s an indoor pub so that does put me on edge a bit.

It’s really how you personally feel so I’d go with that ... offering advice on such things is a bit of a dilemma without knowing lots of facts ... will you feel better if you go ? Or worse ? I’ve lost all awareness of the actual rules now it’s just become too complicated ... but I do know that the fewer people I meet and the more I’m outside and spaced a decent distance then the lower the risk ... can you subtly put yourself at a safer distance from those you trust less ? Or leave if you feel things aren’t as comfortable as you would like It’s really strange making such decisions on things that seemed so basic 6 months ago ... 

18 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Has anyone got any advice

6 or 7 people makes no difference really. The levels of risk are so similar it’s not worth worrying about. 

The limit on groups will be to stop mass gatherings. The government probably chose 6 as the arbitrary number as that’s probably how many fingers Boris had up his arse at the time. 

Enjoy yourself, have a drink and keep clear of the people you don’t know if you’re worried. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I'd go with your guts pal.  I've happily taken on the mantle of the bloke who's not afraid to call this stuff out and be known as the miserable one, and it's not that bad :D

The guidelines are what they are; whether they should have come in sooner or differently or whatever is almost irrelevant in this context.  Squirrel's probably right about 6 or 7 making no difference, but my take on it is that if everyone takes that view then the whole thing gradually falls to pieces.

It comes down to weighing up the fun you'll have against the negatives.  Will you actually enjoy it, or are you going to be too on edge to actually have fun?  Will you regret it afterwards because you know you've broken the guidelines?

If it was me in your place, I'd personally say no.  At the end of it all I want to be able to look in the mirror and be comfortable that I've personally done what I can to make this better. If I break a rule by mistake I'm not going to beat myself up, but if I know something's outside of guidelines or just feels wrong, I'm not doing it.

Sounds like you're like me and want to do the right thing, and I reckon you'll be beating yourself about it more than you'd enjoy it.

EDIT: the other bit for me is that it makes no difference what other people are doing.  I almost revert back to my childhood and how my parents brought me up.  Just because all the other kids were doing something, that didn't mean I got to do it! :lol:

Edited by Quark
  • Like 1

On Sunday I went to my first gig since lockdown.

Just a bloke with a guitar in a pub garden. Plenty of tables for distinct social groups. Was there on a bench on my own initially, but then spotted a couple of people who I'd already been to the pub with, so felt fine going to join them. (I know, who knows what they might have caught since I last saw them?)

By the end of the about two hours long gig (6-8pm) it had got busier and it felt like no one was listening to the act anymore. Everyone was just talking amongst themselves and social distancing appeared to have gone out of the window. Two people went to shake my hand ffs, which I suppose is OK as long as everyone immediately disinfects afterwards, but is still a ridiculously stupid thing to do atm afaic.

Now this is a pub that has been quite responsible so far (temperature gun to head and details given on arrival (not sure if they fully enforce it mind)), but I think the landlord was getting a bit worried towards the end (the neighbours had come out to glare). I kind of get his point. They've been shut for the duration and feel like they need to get the revenue stream going again. Don't think they were expecting quite so many people. Probably didn't help that the act has always been extremely popular. They had a duo the week before and obviously felt OK with doing it for a second week.

Not sure if I'd be comfortable doing it again (I was never a Sunday afternoon drinker anyway) but have to admit I really felt like I needed it. By It, I mean watching an act and having what felt like a relatively normal visit to a pub (and seeing lots of 'faces' for the first time in months).

1 hour ago, FestivalJamie said:

Do whatever you're comfortable with and don't feel pressured in to going - as nice as a pint might sound it's not worth getting stressed over.

The number in the group seems irrelevant as there will be others in the pub anyway.

If you go and get uncomfortable about the number of people there or the behaviour then you can always leave.

59 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'd go with your guts pal.  I've happily taken on the mantle of the bloke who's not afraid to call this stuff out and be known as the miserable one, and it's not that bad :D

The guidelines are what they are; whether they should have come in sooner or differently or whatever is almost irrelevant in this context.  Squirrel's probably right about 6 or 7 making no difference, but my take on it is that if everyone takes that view then the whole thing gradually falls to pieces.

It comes down to weighing up the fun you'll have against the negatives.  Will you actually enjoy it, or are you going to be too on edge to actually have fun?  Will you regret it afterwards because you know you've broken the guidelines?

If it was me in your place, I'd personally say no.  At the end of it all I want to be able to look in the mirror and be comfortable that I've personally done what I can to make this better. If I break a rule by mistake I'm not going to beat myself up, but if I know something's outside of guidelines or just feels wrong, I'm not doing it.

Sounds like you're like me and want to do the right thing, and I reckon you'll be beating yourself about it more than you'd enjoy it.

EDIT: the other bit for me is that it makes no difference what other people are doing.  I almost revert back to my childhood and how my parents brought me up.  Just because all the other kids were doing something, that didn't mean I got to do it! :lol:

I kind of agree with this, but would also add: could you suggest a beer garden instead if you would feel more comfortable? Any reason why it has to be that particular pub?

We are starting to get into this situation  now, as a few of our friends are very comfortable going to pubs and we are not (albeit that is largely due to us having vulnerable people in our family that we want to see). I'm not doing anything I personally don't feel comfortable with as I know I am feel shit afterwards. But I would probably suggest an alternative.

That said I am back at the gym now, but in my mind that feels less risky even though it probably isn't. My worry with pubs really lies in the ability of drunk people to distance and be hygienic as I know I would be shit at it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

I carry my hand sanitiser everywhere now ..it’s like a comfort blanket 

Yep hand sanitizer and mask in jacket constantly. 

In terms of going pub I am going for pub tea tomorrow 1st time I've been to one since March 6th and going out with mate on friday .

But I'd never put pressure on anyone to go pub it's a personal choice . And anywhere that looks like it isn't following guidelines I'm out of there .

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

The prices seem to have gone down too. Picked up some 80ml bottles of 75% stuff at only 2 quid a pop.  Back in April, that would have been 5 times the price.

There’s loads about now .... Everyman and his dog must have started making it ... flooding the market and leading to hand sanitiser lakes across the world 

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

I'm going to go with @Quark on this one I think. I've stuck to the guidelines word for word up until this time, only mixed 2 households indoors, max 6 people outdoors... etc etc. I just can't get it out of my head that these guidelines are there for a reason, even though most people disregard them. I will feel safer and more comfortable if I stick to these guidelines; I'm only 19 I'm not at high risk, but I am worried about spreading it to other family members. In my head it's safer for me to jet off on a plane somewhere with everyone wearing face masks than for me to go to a pub where no one is wearing masks and we know that drunk people just don't social distance... I would be very apprehensive of people invading my personal space.

@Zoo Music Girl they seem pretty set on the venue, not sure why. What I find worse is due to government regulations it's max 6 people per table so they are planning on booking 2 tables and moving them together... I'm not sure that's allowed at the moment and that would make me feel even more uncomfortable with it going into a business and breaking the rules. As for going to the gym, it's completely different, its good for mental health and people are likely to be more conscious about hygiene and social distance than drunk in a pub.

I know risks are low(er) at the moment, but I think I'd just be uncomfortable with it, and would want to keep myself to myself for a whole 2 weeks afterwards just to make sure I haven't picked anything up. If the measures in pubs were a bit stricter, I think id be more inclined to go, because as ive said before I haven't ruled out an international low risk holiday (within the guidelines) because in some other foreign countries rules are very strict which will make me feel super safe. 

At the end of the day, I don't think I'd really be putting myself in a risky situation but I just feel more uncomfortable breaking the guidelines because I feel like it could be putting other people indirectly at risk. I just wish they were meeting outdoors, I would be more inclined to go then as I know the risks are lower outside. 

It's all too confusing at the moment, and the difference between the guidelines and rules confuses me. I think on guidelines we can only meet in groups of 6, but when it comes to the law you can meet 29 others. So whilst not breaking the law id be going against the guidelines... not sure how I feel about that.

I've still got a couple of weeks to decide but I think ill likely pass on this occasion.

54 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I'm going to go with @Quark on this one I think. I've stuck to the guidelines word for word up until this time, only mixed 2 households indoors, max 6 people outdoors... etc etc. I just can't get it out of my head that these guidelines are there for a reason, even though most people disregard them. I will feel safer and more comfortable if I stick to these guidelines; I'm only 19 I'm not at high risk, but I am worried about spreading it to other family members. In my head it's safer for me to jet off on a plane somewhere with everyone wearing face masks than for me to go to a pub where no one is wearing masks and we know that drunk people just don't social distance... I would be very apprehensive of people invading my personal space.

@Zoo Music Girl they seem pretty set on the venue, not sure why. What I find worse is due to government regulations it's max 6 people per table so they are planning on booking 2 tables and moving them together... I'm not sure that's allowed at the moment and that would make me feel even more uncomfortable with it going into a business and breaking the rules. As for going to the gym, it's completely different, its good for mental health and people are likely to be more conscious about hygiene and social distance than drunk in a pub.

I know risks are low(er) at the moment, but I think I'd just be uncomfortable with it, and would want to keep myself to myself for a whole 2 weeks afterwards just to make sure I haven't picked anything up. If the measures in pubs were a bit stricter, I think id be more inclined to go, because as ive said before I haven't ruled out an international low risk holiday (within the guidelines) because in some other foreign countries rules are very strict which will make me feel super safe. 

At the end of the day, I don't think I'd really be putting myself in a risky situation but I just feel more uncomfortable breaking the guidelines because I feel like it could be putting other people indirectly at risk. I just wish they were meeting outdoors, I would be more inclined to go then as I know the risks are lower outside. 

It's all too confusing at the moment, and the difference between the guidelines and rules confuses me. I think on guidelines we can only meet in groups of 6, but when it comes to the law you can meet 29 others. So whilst not breaking the law id be going against the guidelines... not sure how I feel about that.

I've still got a couple of weeks to decide but I think ill likely pass on this occasion.

That all seems fair enough mate. All these things are such personal decisions. Don't feel bad about it.

My second time back to the gym today, another socially distanced class. Numbers still not even at the reduced capacity and everyone seems to be following the rules well.

4 hours ago, MrZigster said:

On Sunday I went to my first gig since lockdown.

Just a bloke with a guitar in a pub garden. Plenty of tables for distinct social groups. Was there on a bench on my own initially, but then spotted a couple of people who I'd already been to the pub with, so felt fine going to join them. (I know, who knows what they might have caught since I last saw them?)

By the end of the about two hours long gig (6-8pm) it had got busier and it felt like no one was listening to the act anymore. Everyone was just talking amongst themselves and social distancing appeared to have gone out of the window. Two people went to shake my hand ffs, which I suppose is OK as long as everyone immediately disinfects afterwards, but is still a ridiculously stupid thing to do atm afaic.

Now this is a pub that has been quite responsible so far (temperature gun to head and details given on arrival (not sure if they fully enforce it mind)), but I think the landlord was getting a bit worried towards the end (the neighbours had come out to glare). I kind of get his point. They've been shut for the duration and feel like they need to get the revenue stream going again. Don't think they were expecting quite so many people. Probably didn't help that the act has always been extremely popular. They had a duo the week before and obviously felt OK with doing it for a second week.

Not sure if I'd be comfortable doing it again (I was never a Sunday afternoon drinker anyway) but have to admit I really felt like I needed it. By It, I mean watching an act and having what felt like a relatively normal visit to a pub (and seeing lots of 'faces' for the first time in months).

Backtracking a bit but there’s some great points raised here.

The problem with releasing people from lockdown is the second people are free they want to be let loose like rabbits. I don’t envy pub landlords at all. It’s going to be really hard to control numbers when you have so many people which want to jump at the first opportunity. They don’t want to turn away customers as they need cash behind the till.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Backtracking a bit but there’s some great points raised here.

The problem with releasing people from lockdown is the second people are free they want to be let loose like rabbits. I don’t envy pub landlords at all. It’s going to be really hard to control numbers when you have so many people which want to jump at the first opportunity. They don’t want to turn away customers as they need cash behind the till.

Alternatively some might want a nice quiet pint with a couple of friends ... we don’t all need to go mad and probably looking on here lots are still nervous 

2 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

For my money's worth I think you're thinking about it in the right way. Basically trying to do the right thing, whatever the hell that is!

It is the running joke at rugby atm thatcim the miserable bastard who's questioning how the distancing works and how we're sticking to the RFU guidelines and all the rest of it. But like you I'm reasonably confident that I'm healthy enough to be low risk, but I dont want to be a transmission vector. My father in law's also really poorly, so we both need to stay clean in case we're needed for anything as this would realistically finish him off.

went to one of my locals last night, which has just their yard (with permanent shelters) open. It was very pleasant. 

Oddly, they're only taking cash. Or perhaps not-so-oddly, as it might all be being kept off the books.

Annoyingly, they shut at 10pm. Walked to the next nearest, and they'd shut at 10pm too. So an early night. :( 

18 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

Judging by all the people I see drinking around town, they're either groups from different households breaking the rules or communes are now doing drinky day trips.

I've not yet been to a pub, but I have just been for a massage. It was lovely, but so was having a good chat with my friend (the masseuse), also a small business owner. The hoops they have had to jump through to reopen are numerous. 

I'm finding that the social interaction is as beneficial as the reason I ostensibly went out for in the first place. 

I don't have a lot of spare money at the moment, so when I do splash out its important to me to support those businesses I want to survive. So I'll not be popping into a 'spoons anytime soon.