What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

3 hours ago, DeanoL said:

We watched the UK version and just finishing up the US version. May do the Aus version next.

Part of me loves it, part of me just struggles with the fact they don't have enough information to go on. I'm probably not enjoying it as much as the average season of Survivor.

If you like The Traitors though and don't mind subtitled stuff, I can't recommend enough seeking out "The Genius Game" - a Korean show that takes the social strategy idea and really runs with it.

What made me laugh with both the UK and US version is people saying I could never be a traitor when they all signed up to do a show where being tapped on a shoulder is the only difference between them. It could have been any one of them. I suspect it's a show that only works for one season before you get all sorts of annoying people wanting to do it. (The US version was already blighted with that because of all the reality tv stars) It's an interesting insight into group psychology. Basically if you are a traitor you need to be popular and if you are a faithful you need to appear a bit dim and be friendly. 

That last episode of Last of us was good. Best TV of the year etc, not for me though. I'm guessing the emotional charge in the episode may count for a big part of the hype. The two actors definitely deserve a "Best guest" actor Emmy thing though.

Side note: Ellie in the basement and Ryan and his dad in Happy valley: got me saying "wow teenagers are really reckless, was I that dumb too at that age?"

Edited by moogster

18 hours ago, gigpusher said:

What made me laugh with both the UK and US version is people saying I could never be a traitor when they all signed up to do a show where being tapped on a shoulder is the only difference between them. It could have been any one of them. I suspect it's a show that only works for one season before you get all sorts of annoying people wanting to do it. (The US version was already blighted with that because of all the reality tv stars) It's an interesting insight into group psychology. Basically if you are a traitor you need to be popular and if you are a faithful you need to appear a bit dim and be friendly. 

Agree with this. I have only seen the UK one but I liked the premise however I felt it was all a bit hammed up and OTT. I also know one of the contestants loosely because they live in my town (not the location stated on the show) and a member of the same exercise group I go to, and I can say the way they are portrayed on the show is very much different to them in real life even down to their occupation which should have been prefixed with 'aspiring'. I won't say who it is as they're a good person and good luck to them but there was defiantly a lot of production added to create good telly. 

Lockwood and Co on Netflix. Made by Joe Cornish and set in a world where spirits are running amok. Teenagers seem to have the best powers to deal with them, so that's who some of the protagonists are. 

Pretty fast paced and with a few twists and turns in the plot, some good guest stars and with a suitable dash of Bauhaus, Cure, Siouxsie, This Mortal Coil and Joy Division (although to my taste pretty much all the best songs could be in for longer). 

Guardian review

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/jan/27/lockwood-and-co-review-joe-cornishs-teen-ghosthunters-are-an-absolute-delight

Soundtrack

https://soundtracki.com/shows/lockwood-co-season-1-soundtrack

Edited by clarkete
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

A fair few parents on here have praised Bluey in this thread but I watched an episode today that stopped me in my tracks. Baby Race - think it hit hard due on my wife’s PND and anxiety.

It’s just the best show.

Some nights, I can’t wait for mini moth to go to bed so I can watch Bluey in peace.

2 hours ago, theglastokid said:

Can’t wait for the Happy Valley finale tomorrow. Watched it since the first day it aired in 2014 so it’s been a long wait. 

Just finished Black Bird and Bad Sisters on Apple TV+, both really good. The 4K picture on these Apple shows is really excellent. 

Enjoying Bad Sisters but just feel it could have been a six-parter? Have two episodes left.

On 1/31/2023 at 10:47 AM, DeanoL said:

We watched the UK version and just finishing up the US version. May do the Aus version next.

Part of me loves it, part of me just struggles with the fact they don't have enough information to go on. I'm probably not enjoying it as much as the average season of Survivor.

If you like The Traitors though and don't mind subtitled stuff, I can't recommend enough seeking out "The Genius Game" - a Korean show that takes the social strategy idea and really runs with it.

If you are fan of Survivor you may be interested to know it's coming to the UK this year, BBC are going to be doing it.

I'm just finishing off my application, you can apply for it here: https://shortaudition.com/Survivor

23 hours ago, theglastokid said:

Can’t wait for the Happy Valley finale tomorrow. Watched it since the first day it aired in 2014 so it’s been a long wait. 

Just finished Black Bird and Bad Sisters on Apple TV+, both really good. The 4K picture on these Apple shows is really excellent. 

Yeah, Happy Valley very good, although descended into the realms of fantasy a bit (Tommy's escape from court & killing all those guys!) Good ending though!

First 2 episodes of North Sea Connection (Irish drama on BBC 4) were the best thing I've seen on TV for ages. Tempted to binge the lot, but also like the idea of waiting to watch 2 episodes every Saturday! Quite like the idea of looking forward to waiting for it - like Happy Valley!

No Spoilers until tonight please !

Started Extraordinary, it's fun. Not ground-breaking but a nice light 30 mn.

Started The Lazarus project as well, which I am enjoying too. It's a bit all based on one idea but for a short season that's fine with me.

At episode 4 of Poker face: @clarkete sorry but for episode 3 (the BBQ one) I spotted the details of how this would be solved far too early in the episode, the wood , the train...! I'm still watching though! Thought about you when listening to a French TV podcast and one of the hosts said he couldn't watch Marleau anymore because it became too much of a one woman show for the actress. So a fine line not to be crossed for Poker face too!

6 hours ago, moogster said:

No Spoilers until tonight please !

Started Extraordinary, it's fun. Not ground-breaking but a nice light 30 mn.

Started The Lazarus project as well, which I am enjoying too. It's a bit all based on one idea but for a short season that's fine with me.

At episode 4 of Poker face: @clarkete sorry but for episode 3 (the BBQ one) I spotted the details of how this would be solved far too early in the episode, the wood , the train...! I'm still watching though! Thought about you when listening to a French TV podcast and one of the hosts said he couldn't watch Marleau anymore because it became too much of a one woman show for the actress. So a fine line not to be crossed for Poker face too!

I loved Extraordinary and watched the whole thing in one night.  As you'll have seen with Siobhan McSweeney and the other Irish characters some aspects remind me of Derry Girls and similarly they're brilliant at tugging on your heartstrings from time to time - for example (without giving it away) when they do a reveal about one of the phone calls in an early episode.  So the switch from the bits I found laugh out loud funny (which for me is many times every episode) to touching is beautifully done - that's especially true at the end and as with all of it the tracks they use in particular scenes are perfect. 

For Poker Face yes I know what you mean about how it will be solved, but often its seeing it unfold and her relationship to other characters I enjoy. 

Marleau likes to do the thing most detectives do with having a false trail, before they close in on the actual suspect. She tore through seasons 1 to 3 and is keen for me to get season 4. 

On 2/4/2023 at 10:55 PM, theglastokid said:

We started watching this last week, can’t believe we’re 9 years behind 😅

Will avoid reading too much more of the thread for fear of spoilers but looking forward to binge watching more of it. We’ve finished season 1, believe we’re due to start episode 3 of season 2 this evening. 
Tommy Lee Royce actor is incredible. 

Three Pines on Prime. Alfred Molina playing a detective leading a team in Quebec. They investigate several cases which are told in two episodes of an hour each. 

He's very good, as are some of the other characters and there's enough intrigue to keep it rolling along.