Jump to content

Acts touring around Glastonbury 2021


Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, Jacksamthompson said:

Lost all desire to watch GNR after their Reading 2010 disaster headline. 

They’re a totally different band now. Don’t judge them from a 2010 set. I was as skeptical as anyone, but since their proper return at Coachella they’re a completely different proposition.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gateshead! I knew it was them! Even when it was the coronavirus I knew it was them! 

Convincing my mum and dad to see LCD at the end of a very trudge-y weekend was next level special. My da (in his 60s) was peripherally into the band but I'd had to briefed my mum that day on what

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, jparx said:

They’re a totally different band now. Don’t judge them from a 2010 set. I was as skeptical as anyone, but since their proper return at Coachella they’re a completely different proposition.

Leeds 2010 I enjoyed a lot tbf

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Aye that's the rub. Glastonbury will pay for the likes of the Stones or the Mac because they're on their wishlist. I just don't see GNR being on that list (certainly not high enough for them to push the boat out financially for them).

Even with the Stones, Glasto can’t have paid the band’s regular fee even if it was supposedly a massive jump from the regular Glasto fee. It’s not so much about exposure - as someone like the Stones or Adele doesn’t need it -  but the act has to see it as an event worth crossing off the list.

Would Guns? Doubt it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Taylor Swift
Kendrick Lamar
Kanye West
The Rolling Stones
Adele
Ed Sheeran

Are all highly expensive acts which have agreed to do Glastonbury. The reason they’ve done it is either because Glasto tried really hard to get them or they approached Glasto and were willing to do it for a lower than usual fee.

All of these acts are too expensive for Glastonbury but there would have been something which tipped it over the edge. Either Glasto really pitching the ethos of the festival well, the act themselves being very much aware of the importance of Glastonbury etc etc. 

I’m not convinced that

- Eavis will see GnR as this type of act

or

- GnR will be knocking on the door of Glastonbury to play.

Although... I would have said the same about Aerosmith. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Imagine if the headliners were Aerosmith, Guns N’ Roses and the Red Hot Chili Peppers

Looks like the set of headliners Download should be booking but never do!

Edited by Matt42
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Looks like the set of headliners Download should be booking but never do!

They’ve booked Aerosmith and Guns N Roses. They are the acts Download shouldn’t be booking at this point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They’ve booked Aerosmith and Guns N Roses. They are the acts Download shouldn’t be booking at this point.

My point is a bit rubbish but I think two classic download acts and a curveball should be what download books to keep exciting. But no... def lep and kiss again 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’d love to see GnR do it, but can’t see it happening...

What if the hole is there (now both years) because one or two of them are planned surprise guests with McCartney?

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, assorted said:

What if the hole is there (now both years) because one or two of them are planned surprise guests with McCartney?

No-one's putting a pre-planned gap in a tour in place so a couple of band members can show up to sing a song with Paul McCartney, at a festival they're not playing at, for no financial gain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

No-one's putting a pre-planned gap in a tour in place so a couple of band members can show up to sing a song with Paul McCartney, at a festival they're not playing at, for no financial gain.

So you're saying GnR were booked for Shangri-la? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Aware of them being a different beast these days. But, that Reading show... I genuinely left and wished that I had seen Marina and the diamonds instead. That’s how bad it was.

 

P.S no hate towards Marina (maybe a little hate)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Suprefan said:

But is Glasto willing to give GnR 3 hours of set time? Cause thats their average since their return save for the 4 hour marathon they did in LA 2 years ago. 

I dunno, they’ve given acts the set length they want before. Radiohead, Foos and The Cure as recent examples. Macca would be getting as long as he wants as well. The money will be the bigger issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well my thing is have they had anyone go on before 9pm. Radiohead did their normal 2 hours and change so that wasnt a big stretch btw since they went on at 9:30. ( just saying )

 

oh yeah, what if GnR are booked for BST over glasto weekend and it’s going to be a while before they announce that?

Edited by Suprefan
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

But is Glasto willing to give GnR 3 hours of set time? Cause thats their average since their return save for the 4 hour marathon they did in LA 2 years ago. 

Think that'd be much less of an issue than you think. The festival has had no problem scheduling headline sets for 2:30 before (and Springsteen smashing past curfew took him over 3 hours).

If GnR are excited/desperate enough to play that they're prepared to accept about 10% of their normal fee, then wanting to play an extra 30/60 minutes isn't going to be a deal breaker on either side.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

oh yeah, what if GnR are booked for BST over glasto weekend and it’s going to be a while before they announce that?

While it's not technically impossible, they do have 2 stadium shows just down the road a week or two before, for the main rival promoter. More (most?) likely, they've got something booked in another country on Glastonbury weekend.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Even with the Stones, Glasto can’t have paid the band’s regular fee even if it was supposedly a massive jump from the regular Glasto fee. It’s not so much about exposure - as someone like the Stones or Adele doesn’t need it -  but the act has to see it as an event worth crossing off the list.

Would Guns? Doubt it.

Slash seemed to love it when he played about a decade (!) ago? Is he still in G&R? Might spread the word about it to a now more sensible Axl.

Edited by Ryan1984
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, incident said:

While it's not technically impossible, they do have 2 stadium shows just down the road a week or two before, for the main rival promoter. More (most?) likely, they've got something booked in another country on Glastonbury weekend.

Yeah. Those Spurs shows make BST look nigh on impossible.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at their dates it is strange that they have a gig on glasto Wednesday and a gig the Wednesday afterwards. One to keep the eye on but I don’t see it as overwhelmingly likely.

Edited by Matt42
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Looking at their dates it is strange that they have a gig on glasto Wednesday and a gig the Wednesday afterwards. One to keep the eye on but I don’t see it as overwhelmingly likely.

Big European festival that weekend?

Didnt Wechter move to accommodate someone?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Big European festival that weekend?

Didnt Wechter move to accommodate someone?

No. Another festival moved to sync with Werchter I believe. RW takes place in July still.

The gap in their dates does put them in as a compelling replacement possibility - more so than RHCP - but I don’t think you’d find anyone convinced it’ll happen regardless.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Big European festival that weekend?

Didnt Wechter move to accommodate someone?

I guess it would make sense that they would give themselves enough time to go to Europe and back.

Maybe they positioned themselves as available just in case glasto ask them? Then again I feel like if GNR did directly approach Glasto, glasto would probs say yes. You’d have to be mad to turn down someone like GNR. Shit live or not that’s a massive headliner on your doorstep.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...