How do you feel?

Matt42

23 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Came on here to post my own feelings of woe, and then read @Yoghurt on a Stick and @Punksnotdead's posts. I hope you're both doing ok!!!

@kalifire - sorry about your birthday too. 

I'm feeling quite low today. My two best friends (who have been my support bubble throughout Covid) left Glasgow a few weeks ago. I've been busy for the last two weekends, but today it's really hit home. The weather is fucking shite, it's too dark and wet to hang out in the garden, and house visits are still banned. It's just making me think all my worst fears about a winter lockdown are happening already. I'm just not sure I can handle a whole five months of this shit. 

My new kitten is keeping me somewhat entertained at least. 

Hello Sasperella,

OK at this end, thanks. Mind you, for reasons too long winded I didn't get to visit my mom and dad during the week. And this was despite having driven to Birmingham, and, at one point, being less than a 5 minutes drive from their house. The jury in my mind is still out, wondering if my visit was 'annulled' at the last minute by my dad for reasons not stated.

Sincerely sorry to hear that you are low today, and for the reasons described. That combo would be a challenge to anyone. The only advise that I can think of is, if you can, to pursue an interest or hobby that doesn't require movement from your home. However, I appreciate that there may be no such interest. I've had the notion of writing a book for quite some time now, and have, I think through lock down type frustration, recently started it. Or at least I think that I have. It's all a bit up in the air right now. 

I guess what I'm saying / suggesting is to try to find something constructive to do. Something that will give you a buzz, in one way or another. Is there such a thing? No need to answer to me. It's a question that you may want to ask and answer yourself though.

All the very best.

Mentally I’ve never felt better, weird thing to say during a global pandemic. At the beginning of lockdown my kids went to stay with their grandma as my son needed shielding and both myself and my wife were essential workers, going to and from work driving through a deserted city centre and not seeing my kids could have buckled me but it did the opposite and mentally toughened me up, it hasn’t gone away since 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Came on here to post my own feelings of woe, and then read @Yoghurt on a Stick and @Punksnotdead's posts. I hope you're both doing ok!!!

@kalifire - sorry about your birthday too. 

I'm feeling quite low today. My two best friends (who have been my support bubble throughout Covid) left Glasgow a few weeks ago. I've been busy for the last two weekends, but today it's really hit home. The weather is fucking shite, it's too dark and wet to hang out in the garden, and house visits are still banned. It's just making me think all my worst fears about a winter lockdown are happening already. I'm just not sure I can handle a whole five months of this shit. 

My new kitten is keeping me somewhat entertained at least. 

Cheers for your concern. I got out of hospital a couple of days ago & am resting at home. Apart from being tired all the time, I feel pretty good.

Sorry to hear you're feeling low. To be honest, I've barely thought about covid for the last few days - a heart attack will do that (although I wouldn't recommend it!)

9 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Cheers for your concern. I got out of hospital a couple of days ago & am resting at home. Apart from being tired all the time, I feel pretty good.

Sorry to hear you're feeling low. To be honest, I've barely thought about covid for the last few days - a heart attack will do that (although I wouldn't recommend it!)

Haha, I'm glad to see you are keeping a sense of humour through it all! And no, hopefully I won't have to resort to a heart attack. 

Thanks @Yoghurt on a Stick you're definitely right about finding a constructive hobby. I should really be trying to turn my PhD into some papers. Focusing on that rather than moping about would be good. I also had a job interview this week that I failed to get (I think), so focusing on the things I could do to improve that stuff in future would be useful to I guess. However, failing to get jobs tends to make me feel like a bit of a general failure and then I don't want to do anything. Today is a new day though!

@crazyfool1 - yeh, it's the living by myself thing that gets to me, as you know. However, today I have brunch with a friend and climbing and then a cheeky afternoon beer with another friend planned. All of which are still allowed. I guess we have to make the most of such things 🙂

Finally just burst into floods of tears today. Probably long overdue. Messaged a couple of people, had a nice dinner, relaxed listened to a funny podcast thought I was ready for an early night then just started crying again. In a big fuck it all mood. Here's to a better day tomorrow

@Wellyboot @Sasperella 

@funkychick2007

This follows on from my posts in the good news thread, I thought I’d post it here as it’s not good news.

I have an update on Elvis, sadly they have the blood tests results back and it’s his thyroid which has given him issues in his small intestine which is why he can’t 💩. The vets said it is treatable but he would only really live for a year and would need to be on medication the whole time. Therefore my sister and the vets decided it was the best course of action to put Elvis to sleep. 

My last bit of time with him was the picture I posted in the other thread last Saturday with him in my arms. I only knew him for 2 weeks but I fell completely in love with him and I’ll miss him loads. RIP Elvis x

0C57364D-310F-410E-ACE8-E0C3D946B9FC.jpeg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

@Wellyboot @Sasperella 

@funkychick2007

This follows on from my posts in the good news thread, I thought I’d post it here as it’s not good news.

I have an update on Elvis, sadly they have the blood tests results back and it’s his thyroid which has given him issues in his small intestine which is why he can’t 💩. The vets said it is treatable but he would only really live for a year and would need to be on medication the whole time. Therefore my sister and the vets decided it was the best course of action to put Elvis to sleep. 

My last bit of time with him was the picture I posted in the other thread last Saturday with him in my arms. I only knew him for 2 weeks but I fell completely in love with him and I’ll miss him loads. RIP Elvis x

Aw so sorry. My heart goes out to you. I've loved both my dogs from before I even owned them so the length of time makes no difference to your grief. 

Part of what has made my lockdown worse is that one of my dogs is poorly but nobody can work out what it is. Her main symptom is extreme noise sensitivity but we think it's a physical problem that gets worse when she tenses because of noises and so she now think noises equal pain. We've spent over £3k on vet and medication bills for her this year already and today had another telephone consultation to get her referred for an mri scan which will cost at least another grand. She's insured so I don't even mind about the money but the fact that she's in pain and that this thing is dragging on even longer because of COVID does really get me down. She's only 6 and this latest thing has been going on for nearly a year. 

The only slightly amusing thing is that she has been given Xanax for when she has an acute episode. The other night we had to give her some and afterwards she was trying to mug me for treats so I asked the vet today if Xanax was like weed and could it give her the munchies. Vet burst out laughing on the phone and said yes. 

41 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

@Wellyboot @Sasperella 

@funkychick2007

I feel really sad reading that and seeing the picture- no wonder you fell in love with him so quickly. I do love animals, but it’s so hard when they die, it really breaks your heart. You take care

Thanks guys, it’s horrible when this happens to a pet. I didn’t really expect it last weekend as he seemed to be doing much better but the Vet said that he would have that little bit of time where he was a kitten then would get lethargic due to his toilet issues. If I’d known that would be the last time I’d hold him I wouldn’t have got up when I did. I feel so sad that he was there without us when they put him to sleep as well 😢

@gigpusher I hope they find out what’s wrong with your Dog!

13 hours ago, Ozanne said:

@Wellyboot @Sasperella 

@funkychick2007

Oh no 😔 

I'm so so sorry Oz x I know how sad you must feel, I'm so heartbroken for you. I did a little cry 😢 please look after yourself x cos there's nothing that makes you wanna stop doing that more than being blue.

Thinking of you so much today, all my love and if u need anything please give me a shout xxx

8 hours ago, Wellyboot said:

Oh no 😔 

I'm so so sorry Oz x I know how sad you must feel, I'm so heartbroken for you. I did a little cry 😢 please look after yourself x cos there's nothing that makes you wanna stop doing that more than being blue.

Thinking of you so much today, all my love and if u need anything please give me a shout xxx

Thanks Welly and to everyone else. I was feeling ok through the day but I'm feeling sad now. It's such a rubbish situation for my sister who was really looking forward to a kitten, he was just the cutest as well and also for him. He didn't deserve this at all. I wish I could cuddle him again.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Thanks Welly and to everyone else. I was feeling ok through the day but I'm feeling sad now. It's such a rubbish situation for my sister who was really looking forward to a kitten, he was just the cutest as well and also for him. He didn't deserve this at all. I wish I could cuddle him again.

Sending all my love to you xx please make sure to look after yourself xxx

On 9/14/2020 at 3:28 PM, Matt42 said:

Going to be making sure I take vitamin d supplements this winter. I want to see if it really does help with your mood in the winter periods. V worried about how much time I’m probably going to spend inside this winter!

I recommend them, I've restarted them a couple of weeks ago. As a side benefit, they seem to help my skin - I'd always thought it was a direct result the sunlight that reduced acne in summer, but seems to be vitamin D related.

In the grand scheme of things, not very important, but I shaved yesterday for the first time since lockdown started. I feel like I've got a really fucking weird face. Pre lockdown I was generally clean shaven. How had I not noticed this before. I look like a poorly drawn Matt Groening character. I'm genuinely a bit startled every time I see my reflection

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

In the grand scheme of things, not very important, but I shaved yesterday for the first time since lockdown started. I feel like I've got a really fucking weird face. Pre lockdown I was generally clean shaven. How had I not noticed this before. I look like a poorly drawn Matt Groening character. I'm genuinely a bit startled every time I see my reflection

😆 hahahaha!!!! I really wanna see your face now!! 😂

* sorry im not being insensitive if you're really upset about it, its just the way you say it, it made me laugh! hope you're ok 

Edited by Wellyboot

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

Not happening. I'm actually glad I have to wear a mask most of the time now

Aw dont say that, I'm sure your face is fine really. I imagine its probably just a case of getting used to not having a bread again. I feel bad for laughing im sorry

Masks are great for covering up spots and things tho ive found - cos im a spotty little mare 🙃