guypjfreak

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Where I am now does room service.a nurse at a previous hospital said the patient's she hates were the ones who treated it like a hotel.ive seen more than one patient discharged into a care home at NHS expense to free up thebed.

Yep anecdotally I heard that one of our local private hospitals had a relatively high death rate for a while because so many patients used their buzzers for bullshit reasons that staff never really responded to them like there could be an actual emergency. 

My mum is a fundraiser for the NSPCC. Stalls at events, tombola, knitting stuff to sell, that sort of thing. Since the pandemic they've had to rethink so have being making jams and pickles and selling from a stand with an honesty box outside one of the committee member's house. It's been going great guns, with repeat customers and even requests for new varieties. It's on the way to the beach, so they'll get tourists buying something at the start of their holiday, then a note through the door asking for 6 of them to take home as gifts. I'm sure when my mum last mentioned they made over £6000.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, someone nicked the cash box with probably about £16 in it. Not the good news obviously. They put out a note explaining and asking for money to be put through the letterbox. Word has got out so people have been overpaying for their jams (probably happened anyway before a little) and just giving money to make up the shortfall. Including apparently one 6 year old boy who heard and wanted to give what was in his piggy bank to "the pickle ladies". So a few days ago she found an envelope with a note by his parents and 47p! (his parents chucked in a tenner too)

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

My mum is a fundraiser for the NSPCC. Stalls at events, tombola, knitting stuff to sell, that sort of thing. Since the pandemic they've had to rethink so have being making jams and pickles and selling from a stand with an honesty box outside one of the committee member's house. It's been going great guns, with repeat customers and even requests for new varieties. It's on the way to the beach, so they'll get tourists buying something at the start of their holiday, then a note through the door asking for 6 of them to take home as gifts. I'm sure when my mum last mentioned they made over £6000.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, someone nicked the cash box with probably about £16 in it. Not the good news obviously. They put out a note explaining and asking for money to be put through the letterbox. Word has got out so people have been overpaying for their jams (probably happened anyway before a little) and just giving money to make up the shortfall. Including apparently one 6 year old boy who heard and wanted to give what was in his piggy bank to "the pickle ladies". So a few days ago she found an envelope with a note by his parents and 47p! (his parents chucked in a tenner too)

Aw that's nice. Sometimes good to be reminded about the good people in the world as the bad definitely have a better media rep! 

6 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Yesterday I got to see two of my best mates who I hadn't seen since Christmas 2019 as they live in London. In that time they have got married (I attended via Zoom) and had a baby! I didn't realise how much I missed them until I saw them and now feel a little emotional typing this!

However, seeing them gave my mental health a nice little boost. The combination of seeing people I missed, having a good old chat and laugh like old times and the feeling that things are actually getting back to some sense of normality. 

I'm so happy you got to see your friends!! 🥰 I can imagine how lovely it is!!! I'll finally be getting to see my friend in Southampton at the end of the month, first time since August 2019, I was excited anyway, but now im even more excited!!! X

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 4:04 PM, squirrelarmy said:

72 hours ago I was laid on an operating table talking to a doc while another one was performing surgery on my brain. 

I’m now back home with my feet up and starting the recovery process to get back to normal. 

The NHS gets a lot of shit but they’ve done a fantastic job with me this week and you can’t ask for a better service especially that’s one that’s free at the point of use. I’d hate to know what bills I’d be facing if I was having my surgery in a different country. 

I've had three lots of brain surgery thanks to the NHS so have had my lifetime's worth of contributions back and more, as well as having my life saved  I'm fascinated to ponder what sort of brain surgery can be performed whilst you're still able to talk to the doc.  I was totally out of it under full heavy anaesthetic and it took me several days to come back round.  I had to lie completely flat in bed for several days after ther op.

Good luck with your recovery.

11 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Dad on palliative care now.. 

Often people can hear even if it's hard for them to speak so make sure you say all the things that matter.  Good luck.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Sorry to hear that guy. I'd make the same sort of suggestion as grumpy, really. My dad died just before last Christmas and we buried him on the 29th December. I didn't really get on with my dad. I guess that the day he died I went into shock and carried on doing what i was doing (creating a case for a young lads benefits appeal). However, soon after that day, I went into a rage like none of my remaining family have ever seen come from me. My dad knew it was coming and I knew it was coming, and we still couldn't face saying sorry to each other or that we love each other. If you have any of that kind of 'baggage' (and I hope you don't), then now's the time discuss it together, if he is able to talk, or you just tell him what you need to say. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Sorry to read this Guy, if it's anything like I've experienced, the nurses that provide the care will make him as comfortable as possible. Best wishes to you all, hopefully you're all there for each other 

Best wishes to guy and his dad, not palative but just want to say I've been amazed at how dedicated and caring some NHS staff are, particularly when the govt treats them like shit.

Just now, eFestivals said:

Best wishes to guy and his dad, not palative but just want to say I've been amazed at how dedicated and caring some NHS staff are, particularly when the govt treats them like shit.

Absolutely. Their dedication and resolution in the face of such poor working conditions is nothing short of incredible. I have no idea what keeps them going but I for one am eternally grateful for the care that they've offered my family. When the time comes that I'll need care, I can only hope that they're more appreciated by their employer

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

My thoughts are with you and the family Guy. I know when my father was in a coma towards the end of his life, I got comfort in just talking any old shit to him as if he were his old self. I've no idea if he could hear me, in reality he probably couldn't, but if he could then I hope it bought him some comfort and it helped me. 

On 7/6/2021 at 9:55 PM, guypjfreak said:

Big hugs to you. Don't know if there's a good way to die but when it's not sudden there is a comfort in getting the time to make sure nothing is left unsaid. Hope you and your family have all the emotional support you need and get to say everything you want to say to your Dad. 

On 7/7/2021 at 1:24 PM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Absolutely. Their dedication and resolution in the face of such poor working conditions is nothing short of incredible. I have no idea what keeps them going but I for one am eternally grateful for the care that they've offered my family. When the time comes that I'll need care, I can only hope that they're more appreciated by their employer

Thing that's shocking me at the moment is that students in medical training are paid fuck all while having a responsible job with unsociable hours and I don't feel the quality of their work suffers for it...that's not training or a job it's abuse.

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Thing that's shocking me at the moment is that students in medical training are paid fuck all while having a responsible job with unsociable hours and I don't feel the quality of their work suffers for it...that's not training or a job it's abuse.

Thankfully there are still people in this world that still want to help others and make a difference. Why else would you want to work 16 hours, 6 days a week (as the song goes), with nothing to show for it but crippling debt even before you've qualified, your own poor health and zero social life? Some people are just built differently and we should all be grateful for that. 

The fact that our government(s) stand back and allow this situation to happen is nothing short of a national disgrace. 

• Upvote 1