When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I’ve just had a coronavirus test and it really isn’t pleasant 

Yeah it’s pretty rank isn’t it. Have you got symptoms dude? Hope you’re well! I had some symptoms back in early June but test came back fine and it was really bad hay fever 😂

Had a self-administered antibody test on Friday as part of a study ran by the University of Ulster. The main purpose of the study is to see if the general public can successfully administer the test themselves.

It required taking a lancet and pricking your own finger, then collecting the blood and adding it and a test solution to a small test device and waiting 20 minutes.

The blood collection was a bit of a disaster for me (and I think quite a few others). Not really sure why but the device they gave to collect it didn't really work. One of the test supervisors gave me a pipette instead.

My result was negative.

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

And the world leading track and trace app ? However I have a slight bit more confidence in it on this occasion no idea why though 

I think they just want to reopen asap. I suspect theyve had an off the record indication that the fast track testing system their trialling works and they are getting ahead of it

Just now, zahidf said:

I think they just want to reopen asap. I suspect theyve had an off the record indication that the fast track testing system their trialling works and they are getting ahead of it

There’s definately gonna be more issues for them if they promise a vaccine date  and fail to deliver ... that’s a fuckup of epic proportions given what’s riding on it 

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

And the world leading track and trace app ? However I have a slight bit more confidence in it on this occasion no idea why though 

This one sounds like its more reliant on a private company and the government just trialling and approving it, rather than creating it themselves. No effort and lots of gain for them so I actually have some faith in it being done properly! 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Not sure WHO actually carry out much research, they just look at what research there is etc

Pretty much this...for the record, there are 48 separate clinical trials on Vitamin D and COVID listed on clinicaltrials.gov so it's not like the scientific community ignored this, they have done and continue to investigate! 

Edited by Toilet Duck

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Perhaps more interesting for next year's festival happening. I know this is what @Toilet Duck has been saying would be the way forward.

Hopefully the Abbott test becomes available on this side of the pond soon. The Roche one will be available here in a couple of weeks (I think they start shipping on September 14th actually), but it's still a NP swab rather than a saliva test (or a quick wipe around the easy to reach part of the nose). There's quite a few other ones in late stages of development too which will really change how we manage things...

18 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Hopefully the Abbott test becomes available on this side of the pond soon. The Roche one will be available here in a couple of weeks (I think they start shipping on September 14th actually), but it's still a NP swab rather than a saliva test (or a quick wipe around the easy to reach part of the nose). There's quite a few other ones in late stages of development too which will really change how we manage things...

This is the kind of thing you’ve been rallying for, isn’t it?

I guess it can be put into practice fairly quickly once given the go-ahead with Hancock talking about panto season etc.

If cases keep rising, what do we think are the next government u-turns?

Face coverings mandatory in all secondary school corridors?

Airport testing rather than blanket quarantine?

Mandatory contact tracing for pubs and restaurants?

Face coverings compulsory for shop workers as well as customers?

Do we think Bolton might go into a proper lockdown?

Edited by FestivalJamie

23 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

This is the kind of thing you’ve been rallying for, isn’t it?

I guess it can be put into practice fairly quickly once given the go-ahead with Hancock talking about panto season etc.

Yep, once the tests are approved, then it's fairly straightforward to start using them. The Roche one is approved in Europe, Abbott one will follow soon...there's loads more too. They aren't as accurate as the PCR tests, but for what we want to use them for, they will work fine 9and are a whole lot better than not testing people!). 

2 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Something clearly needs to be done in the areas which the majority of new cases are coming from. I don't see what enforcing more things on areas that are doing well at the moment will achieve other than to make people irate.

Airport testing you would think has to be introduced.

I thought contact tracing in pubs and restaurants was already mandatory?

Personally I don't think face coverings for shop workers is something i'd support. If everyone entering the shop is wearing a mask then the shop workers are protected aren't they? I thought that was the idea behind masks - protects others if you have the virus but not you from catching it?

21 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

All of the above apart from the shop workers one are pretty likely I’d say. By far the most likely measure that’ll get brought in next is a nationwide ban on gatherings inside households I reckon. It will be widely ignored though. 

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Something clearly needs to be done in the areas which the majority of new cases are coming from. I don't see what enforcing more things on areas that are doing well at the moment will achieve other than to make people irate.

Airport testing you would think has to be introduced.

I thought contact tracing in pubs and restaurants was already mandatory?

Personally I don't think face coverings for shop workers is something i'd support. If everyone entering the shop is wearing a mask then the shop workers are protected aren't they? I thought that was the idea behind masks - protects others if you have the virus but not you from catching it?

Contact tracing pubs and restaurants is optional. It also doesn’t even work. I know for a fact I’ve been in a pub where a fellow customer tested positive, and the only reason I knew to self isolate is because the guy rang me and told me. Test & trace didn’t bother contacting everyone who’d been in any of the pubs that the guy had visited, and all of the customers who didn’t actually know him would be none the wiser. 

Edited by Fuzzy Afro