When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

On a Monday when numbers are normally low is not the best sign in the world. I feel like today would be a good time for a press briefing from the big hitters to reassure the nation or to refocus minds. 

Their thinking is probably that calling a press conference for the increase will just worry people more and make it seem more of an issue. I'm just hoping they do something before we see any increase in deaths

4 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Their thinking is probably that calling a press conference for the increase will just worry people more and make it seem more of an issue. I'm just hoping they do something before we see any increase in deaths

It would need basically show a level of good leadership, encourage people to abide by the rules and offer comfort. Then again maybe I’m looking in the wrong place for good leadership 😆

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

I think the only answer without completely ruining the economy is to stop the household visitation across the whole UK for a bit. Not forever, just a rolling couple of weeks thing to see if it helps. It's clear that economy is important, and apparently physical learning with full classes in school is so we have to stop something, and that something needs to be being in other people's homes.

Obviously do some sort of system where people on their own can either buddy up or join another household in name

The problem is it's almost unenforceable, and the minute you introduce a bubble system it's essentially entirely unenforceable, as there's no basis to actually question anyone on.

And it's too obvious it's for the benefit of the economy. And it's too easy to twist into something very negative: "want to go see friends and family? The only option is to put everyone at risk and meet in the pub!". People simply won't accept it because it's purely economy driven. It'd be like trying to save Pret by making it illegal to make a sandwich in your own home. That'd help out the economy too.

(Maybe let people choose between pub/restaurant and seeing friends at houses, then we'd see what people really valued...)

2 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

What I don't understand with this stuff, why don't we just not see our vulnerable relatives? My own granny isn't vulnerable to COVID, despite her age she can still run 10k's and plays golf 3 times a week so I think she would beat COVID easily. But if my other granny was still with us (she passed away last year), there's no way I'd be visiting her just now, because she had all kinds of underlying conditions and was 91.

So this idea that everyone is catching COVID at the pub/mate's house and then spreading it to granny can be avoided by just avoiding people with underlying health problems, no?

The problem is if you keep going with that, you essentially split the nation in to two: the vulnerable and those who want to see the vulnerable (so have smaller social circles and take more precautions), and the non-vulnerable who want to see the non-vulnerable.

If you could feasibly split the entire country like that it could theoretically work, but the issue is two people from different groups could be working next to each other.

Or you have people who have to interact with vulnerable people: nurses, doctors, hairdressers, carers and so on - they might want to see their friends too.

England stats.

Positive cases: 2528.

Admissions: 79, 69, 67 and 94. 2nd to the 5th Sept respectively. (These are the latest figures at time of writing.)

Patients in hospital: 454>452>464>537. 4th to the 7th respectively. (These are the latest figures at time of writing.)

Patients on ventilators: 59>59>58>54. 1st to the 4th respectively. (These are the latest figures at time of writing.)

Hospital admissions rising but ventilators down.

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I think Morrison’s and Sainsbury’s have told the staff they must wear them unless medical excempt ... 

The worst supermarket I’ve seen for staff wearing masks has to be iceland. I haven’t seen a single staff member wearing one in there once!

16 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

My local Morrison’s has good uptake from both customers and staff too. 

My Sainsbury's is pretty good on customers and staff who are packing in the aisles (till people have screens and not really wearing masks) - aisles a big so easy to distance

co-op on the other hand the aisles are small yet no staff packing in the aisles ever wear mask and I go a few times a week - it's so strange why they don't tbh. Will say customer compliance is pretty much 99% though, very rare see anyone there without mask and that includes kids and white man van folk

I live behind a school and it was interesting from my home office to see how many kids were wearing mask.... most were wearing them round the chin but I suppose if walking down street that's not so bad but glad to see they are wearing them

25 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I think Morrison’s and Sainsbury’s have told the staff they must wear them unless medical excempt ... 

OH works in Morrisons (well till this Thursday) and whilst that was the case when it became mandatory for customers to wear them, it's certainly dropping now with both staff and customers).
I'd also go to say that went in to a local Asda in a less affluent area earlier today, and mask wearing there is a lot less than Morrisons.

Even in the bank I work at, people trying to enter while not wearing masks is increasing, the public have just had enough by looks of it.

I'd even go as far to say with my observations daily at the bank and supermarkets 2-3 times a week, the people who are not wearing masks are mostly non-white and younger.

Edited by Paul ™

1 minute ago, Paul ™ said:

OH works in Morrisons (well till this Thursday) and whilst that was the case when it became mandatory for customers to wear them, it's certainly dropping now with both staff and customers).
I'd also go to say that went in to a local Asda in a less affluent area earlier today, and mask wearing there is a lot less than Morrisons.

Even in the bank I work at, people trying to enter while not wearing masks is increasing, the public have just had enough by looks of it.

I don’t know if there needs to be some kind of education as to why we are doing it ... ? I mean we all know on here but I’m sure there are plenty that haven’t got the concept of the fact they help others ... and not particularly the wearer ... unless in the herd method ... we stayed at home .. as that message was concise ... 

I walked into a shop today with my mask in pocket. Was on the phone and completely forgot and I got asked by the manager to put one on, very politely.

4 minutes ago, SDSM said:

I walked into a shop today with my mask in pocket. Was on the phone and completely forgot and I got asked by the manager to put one on, very politely.

Well done to that manager .. whoever he may be ... although perhaps he should have asked if you were exempt  as his first question ... 

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Well done to that manager .. whoever he may be ... although perhaps he should have asked if you were exempt  as his first question ... 

He did sorry forgot to add that his words were "Sorry sir to bother you but are you physically able to wear a mask" to which I replied Sorry got distracted and put it on! It was a Hugo Boss store in Swindon Outlet village so a small shop

Edited by SDSM

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’ve noticed mask use on the bus is dropping. Same in shops. Definitely a generation divide. The older folk and people shopping with kids are being far more cautious than those under 30s who seem to think they’re invincible 

I mean they are pretty invincible when it comes to Covid 😂