When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah...sure...but that is being optimistic, right? Anyway, good luck to them.

There's got to be a point when viral behaviour cracks. Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later so we can all get on with our lives. 

It’s all feeling a bit bleak this morning. Feel like by the end of the week the situation could have escalated massively. If it’s clear this thing is getting out of control again, what do you think they’d pull back on? I can’t see a total national lockdown happening again, but could pubs and bars, for example, be closed again? I feel like they will do everything they can to keep schools open, and probably shops.

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

It’s all feeling a bit bleak this morning. Feel like by the end of the week the situation could have escalated massively. If it’s clear this thing is getting out of control again, what do you think they’d pull back on? I can’t see a total national lockdown happening again, but could pubs and bars, for example, be closed again? I feel like they will do everything they can to keep schools open, and probably shops.

localised lockdowns all the way. Limit people meeting up in houses nationwide maybe.I doubt they will close pubs again

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

I think ultimately the bar / hospitality industries are going to be hit first and hardest.

I just don't see a way in which they can work with winter on the horizon and more people forced indoors to eat / drink without masks.

11 minutes ago, jparx said:

Yeah, I am not feeling at all positive this morning. It will be so much harder to ramp the regulations back UP again, now that the 'anti-mask/covid is fake' narrative has taken hold in the exasperatingly dense sector of the population. 

My partner is going to be returning to work in a university library on the 21st, supposedly. On the one hand, I'm relieved that he still has a job to return to. On the other, I'm very nervous. Moreso than I think I was when we were still working on campus back in February/March. 

It's all just been going on so long, and it feels like we're just teetering on the edge of it all going thoroughly to shit again.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I’ve had a test and I’m waiting for results. A couple of my friends have symptoms too and getting tested.

For reference I live in London 

Good luck mate, if it’s positive hope it’s not too bad for you.

I completely understand the worries by people on here. With winter coming and cases rising it’s going to be tough. I can’t see a nationwide lockdown again, they seem barely interested in a full on local lockdown at this stage. The only thing we can do is stay vigilant and if need be take in precautions at a personal level. 

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’ve had a test and I’m waiting for results. A couple of my friends have symptoms too and getting tested.

For reference I live in London 

Good luck mate. 

Loads of the North West are close to local lockdowns - but they will keep schools open. That's the advice we have had.

I get why they will try everything possible to keep the schools open, and it is vitally important for the pupils that they do - but schools in their very nature are unfortunately such a breeding group for the virus and how it can spread. In a school with 1000+ secondary school pupils, even a very small number of cases will pass round quickly and easily, and then will be carried home to multiple homes and families and so on.
Surely they are a much more dangerous place to be than a pub/restaurant/shop etc due to the sheer number of bodies in close proximity for many hours, 5 days a week. 

23 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

Good luck mate. 

Loads of the North West are close to local lockdowns - but they will keep schools open. That's the advice we have had.

When you say local lockdowns, do you mean like the ones that have happened in the north already? Or more full on than that? 

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

When you say local lockdowns, do you mean like the ones that have happened in the north already? Or more full on than that? 

Word on the street is Bolton is going to a full on Leicester style lockdown where pubs, restaurants and non-essential retail will close and people will be advised to only leave home for shopping or exercise 

I think whilst cases are increasing they need to be viewed in the context that it's widely estimated that during our "peak" back in Spring we were at 100,000 cases a day.

Although the official figure is 6,000 a day at that point most of the testing was being done in hospitals alone.

As others have said I can't see them closing pubs and restaurants unless they really have to, although haven't they been making news about doing that in parts of Scotland?

Am also feeling a bit downbeat about it all, and pissed off that the government are just trying to shift the blame to the public despite all their eagerness to get everyone back to work and out to eat. Feels like this government is constantly gaslighting us. With Brexit too.

We have just decided to take the plunge and book a short break in Dorset in October, but now wondering about whether that was sensible. My thinking was it will at least be a change of scenery for us, less busy as off season and if we don't feel comfortable going to pubs etc we can just walk on the beach (my main reason for booking the location was being by the sea). I guess we'll see. We won't lose loads if we have to cancel and the money is not a huge issue at the moment. Just feels like bad timing! 

I'm mainly worried about hospitals being overwhelmed. My friend is literally starting chemo today. We've already had two people in our lives have their cancer treatment delayed by Covid back in April/May. If that happens to my friend I'll be devastated.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Good luck mate, if it’s positive hope it’s not too bad for you.

I completely understand the worries by people on here. With winter coming and cases rising it’s going to be tough. I can’t see a nationwide lockdown again, they seem barely interested in a full on local lockdown at this stage. The only thing we can do is stay vigilant and if need be take in precautions at a personal level. 

30 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

Good luck mate. 

I planned to visit family at the end of this week. Earlier this week I was feeling really hot during the night (more than usual) and I developed a really rough sore throat. On Saturday I was cooking and I couldn’t quite smell what I was cooking. Literally that day a few friends of mine messaged me saying they were feeling under the weather, so I then immediately booked a test. Taking the test is absolutely grim.

I don’t actually feel that bad, just feel a bit sweaty, but I want to make sure if I have it it’s on record. I want to know whether to cancel my trip. Also I live in Newham which is where they are doing track and trace so I think it’s probably a good idea just to get tested.

I’m hoping my results come back to me ASAP.

Edited by Matt42

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

As others have said I can't see them closing pubs and restaurants unless they really have to, although haven't they been making news about doing that in parts of Scotland?

Am also feeling a bit downbeat about it all, and pissed off that the government are just trying to shift the blame to the public despite all their eagerness to get everyone back to work and out to eat. Feels like this government is constantly gaslighting us. With Brexit too.

We have just decided to take the plunge and book a short break in Dorset in October, but now wondering about whether that was sensible. My thinking was it will at least be a change of scenery for us, less busy as off season and if we don't feel comfortable going to pubs etc we can just walk on the beach (my main reason for booking the location was being by the sea). I guess we'll see. We won't lose loads if we have to cancel and the money is not a huge issue at the moment. Just feels like bad timing! 

I'm mainly worried about hospitals being overwhelmed. My friend is literally starting chemo today. We've already had two people in our lives have their cancer treatment delayed by Covid back in April/May. If that happens to my friend I'll be devastated.

Fingers crossed for your mate's treatment dude.

If you can get away safely I really would recommend it.  The change of scene when we went up to the Lakes for just a few days had a massive effect on us, just as something different and away from where we've been working for the last 6 months. 

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

Fingers crossed for your mate's treatment dude.

If you can get away safely I really would recommend it.  The change of scene when we went up to the Lakes for just a few days had a massive effect on us, just as something different and away from where we've been working for the last 6 months. 

Thanks man. Her initial treatment lasts three months so just a bit worried what will happen with Covid during that time. I have a feeling that people having chemo carried on during the last peak, just other things like tests and ops were delayed, but I'm not sure. Also I obviously do not want her to get it.

Glad your break was good. This is exactly what we were hoping for. Should have booked earlier really, but wanted to wait until schools were back and everything was a bit less busy. Have just go to the point where I'm desperate for  a break but don't really want to take a week off just to sit around here.

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’m pretty sure the rules state no more than 6 people inside together and no more than 2 households.

nope

'

Current rules in England state that two households of any size can meet in any location - public or private, indoors or outdoors - and this does not need to be the same household each time.

People are now also permitted to stay overnight in groups of up to two households, with accommodation including each other’s homes, or hotels and apartments.

It is advised that, where possible, people should socially distance from those they do not normally live with and take extra care to maintain good hygiene, including washing hands and surfaces, and avoiding shared facilities, such as bathrooms, if they can.'