When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Why does it matter that the teacher broke lockdown rules himself? Doesn't mean Cummings is now innocent? And we all accepted the allegation of a second Durham trip was false. Fully aware it's not worth arguing the point with the Daily Mail mind you...

Interested to see what the Sunday Times have on this. 

Is there any evidence of a second peak? I'm hearing it being thrown around everywhere. Yet there's no scientific evidence of anything of the sort anywhere in the world at present. Yes there are new cases but that is to be expected. Flu never goes away. Also forgive my naiveness but I thought the lockdown was to stop the peak hitting hospitals and overwhelming them, not to stop us catching it? Which it has achieved.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, D-Low said:

Is there any evidence of a second peak? I'm hearing it being thrown around everywhere. Yet there's no scientific evidence of anything of the sort anywhere in the world at present. Yes there are new cases but that is to be expected. Flu never goes away. Also forgive my naiveness but I thought the lockdown was to stop the peak hitting hospitals and overwhelming them, not to stop us catching it? Which it has achieved.

That is exactly the case in this country. Yet other countries have managed to do both so thats where the outrage is coming from 

Seeing these difference in the voting intention is fantastic. The only issue - other than a GE being 4 years away - is the Tories power to run smear campaigns via the papers. Has anyone seen much on this Saville story? That seems to be a regular reply I’m seeing to Starmer’s tweets already 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

11 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Seeing these difference in the voting intention is fantastic. The only issue - other than a GE being 4 years away - is the Tories power to run smear campaigns via the papers. Has anyone seen much on this Saville story? That seems to be a regular reply I’m seeing to Starmer’s tweets already 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

I think exactly the same. They'll be saving that for just before the election if they need it, whether true or not 

8 hours ago, D-Low said:

no, but too early to say if there will be or not. Autumn/winter is when they're worried about....

7 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

I think exactly the same. They'll be saving that for just before the election if they need it, whether true or not 

They've been flogging the Saville thing for months already (along with grooming gangs). The Labour left have been hitting it pretty hard too TBF (along with the 'fact' that Starmer is a Tory/Murdoch plant to preserve neo-Liberalism).

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

no, but too early to say if there will be or not. Autumn/winter is when they're worried about....

yeah - risks aren't too big while everyone is outside. Shit's going to come when the weather turns bad.

7 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Jimmy Savile scandal: Chances to prosecute 'were missed' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20992789

This is it apparently, story is from 2013.

So I appreciate this is just one more fuck-up in a long line of them but this rushed through advice about letting those shielding out on a Saturday night (not in a briefing or anything) seems so odd. Why would they pull that forward at the time when kids are back at school, there are more people out and about and there is much more chance of spread? Why not wait a couple of weeks to see the effect of those measures? It's crazy to me the way they've just chucked this on the end. I have a friend who is shielding and she really doesn't know what to do for the best now.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

So I appreciate this is just one more fuck up in a long line of them but this rushed through advice about letting those shielding out late on a Saturday night (not in a briefing or anything) seems so odd. Why would they pull that forward at the time when kids are back at school, there are more people out and about and there is much chance of spread? Why not wait a couple of weeks to see the effect of those measures? It's crazy to me the way they've just chucked this on the end. I have a friend who is shielding and she really doesn't know what to do for the best now.

The timing seems bonkers , I’ve just seen that ... to me it seems that they will be stopping the help at the end on June and they want people back at work this is a way of them saying that they eased them back in rather than a jump from shielding straight to the work environment . 

I think this mass easing of restrictions shows that we're fully in herd Immunity phase and there's no intention of reimposing restrictions. If you wanted to ease out of it gently and have an option to fallback if things went tits up, you wouldn't throw open so many things at once. How can they can tell what isn't working?

It's clear what the plan is now. The government are throwing open the doors, and their convenient "stay alert" messages puts the guilt on all of us if cases spike. They're effectively telling us all these things are safe if we're "alert".

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

It's clear what the plan is now. The government are throwing open the doors, and their convenient "stay alert" messages puts the guilt on all of us if cases spike. They're effectively telling us all these things are safe if we're "alert".

I do think people have to take some responsibility for their own actions. I've seen photos of hundreds of people piling off a train in Brighton, some of whom are just going to sunbathe. Assuming the photo was real, how can those people not take some responsibility for what they are doing? The rules are clear about using public transport only where essential. Sunbathing is not essential. No one can claim this isn't clear, it is perfectly clear. I can only assume these people are adults who have weighed up the risks and feel they want to chance it,  even though they know they are going against government advice. If there is a second peak as a result no one can claim they didn't know they were risking it. This might conveniently fit into the government's herd immunity plan, but no one is forcing these people to pile on a train to go sunbathing. 

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

Raab being his reliably useless self on Andrew Marr. Our track and trace system is world beating! Way to go guys. Screw those Koreans!!!

How this guy has stayed around like a bad rash is beyond me