When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

37 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

social media is also full of people saying all this indian variant stuff is bollocks, ignore the scientists they just want to keep us locked up forever etc etc. Bit like on here really.

Yeah, I’ve got those in my social media too.

They never say why ‘they’ want to keep us locked up though.

Just now, rivalschools.price said:

Yeah, I’ve got those in my social media too.

They never say why ‘they’ want to keep us locked up though.

At the moment i think if it's aimed at those scientists it's zero covid (not to be mixed up with the conspiracy theorists saying it about the government themselves) 

Holding mass events without masks and social distancing can be as safe as going to a restaurant or shopping centre, government trials suggest.
Preliminary data from the events research programme is understood to have found that with screening, improved ventilation and other mitigating factors the risk of virus transmission can be significantly reduced, reducing fears that sports matches and concerts could cause big outbreaks.
The results will boost hopes that the end of restrictions can go ahead as planned on June 21 despite the spread of the Indian variant.
They are likely to strengthen the case for requiring “Covid-status certification” for such events to prove that those attending are at lower risk of being infectious.
The results will be forwarded to ministers in the coming days before a decision on further easing of lockdown measures due next month.
While the research programme took place before concerns over the spread of the Indian variant, it is likely to form a key plank of the government’s plans for the reopening of society.
A government source said the results from the trials had been encouraging and further test events were planned for the coming weeks. “We are still waiting for the final bits of data but the results so far have been very encouraging,” the source said.
“It will help make the case that these large events are not inherently more risky than other parts of the hospitality sector. It shows that there are things that you can do to make these settings as safe as other daily activities.
“It is true that they are not going to be 100 per cent safe but you can lower the risk to a reasonable level.”
Another source stressed that the events needed much higher levels of organisation than those before the pandemic, with strict requirements that participants prove they had recently tested negative, reduced capacity and protocols about entering venues to minimise mixing. However, the results suggest as long as they are adhered to, risk of outbreaks can be kept low.
Initial results earlier this month demonstrated that such measures were feasible. Ministers are starting to see results from tests five days after the events, which show how many people caught the virus during the pilots.
The events included the Brit Awards in London, the World Snooker Championship in Sheffield and a business conference and nightclub event in Liverpool. Three matches at Wembley were included to test crowd management. There were indoor and outdoor events, most of which were seated, but there was a club night where crowds mixed. None required masks or for people to remain a metre apart.
Scientists hoped this would show which types of event and behaviour were mostly likely to spread the virus. People were monitored by CCTV and wore devices that showed how many others they came into contact with, whether they shook hands or hugged, and how far apart they stood.
Behavioural experts overseeing the tests warned ministers that confidence in the government’s handling of the pandemic would be badly harmed if the return of events led to fresh outbreaks. A failure to ban mass events in March last year was blamed for worsening Britain’s first wave.
Michael Gove, the Cabinet Office minister, is leading a review of the evidence for Covid-status certification that is due to report before June 21. Under the present plans, proof of a recent negative test, vaccination or antibody status would be required before people were permitted entry to sectors of the economy such as concerts, sporting events and nightclubs. Ministers do not plan to require certification for entry to pubs and restaurants.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/big-events-without-masks-are-no-riskier-than-shopping-covid-trials-show-fb0msxgsl

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

Has anyone else struggled to book their jabs? There's loads of availability for 1st jabs near me, but I can't book one because there are no 2nd jab appointments. Don't really want a 100 mile round trip for my 2nd, but that seems like my only option.

I had to book my second appointment at a different centre to my first. I was told that some of the local vaccination centres were to be wound down in favour of the mass-vaccination centres. So I booked my first at the local pharmacy and then the second at the local mass-vac place (at the rugby stadium). Not sure that is helpful, but changing location for my second jab gave me loads of options.

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

Has anyone else struggled to book their jabs? There's loads of availability for 1st jabs near me, but I can't book one because there are no 2nd jab appointments. Don't really want a 100 mile round trip for my 2nd, but that seems like my only option.

When I go to book, the only hubs that come up are 20 miles away when there’s a centre a 5-minute walk away. Going to wait for the GP text I think.

Edited by Ryan1984

A really good interview with German virologist expert Sandra Ciesek about the Indian variant and the global effect of the virus I found today in the „Berliner Zeitung“, worth reading:

According to the Frankfurt virologist Sandra Ciesek, the Indian variant of the coronavirus can weaken the effect of the vaccination, but cannot switch off its protection. The mutant B.1.617, which is now circulating in dozens of countries, recently had a share of less than two percent in Germany, albeit with an upward trend.

"The variants from India have a slight immune escape, so a slightly reduced effectiveness," said the director of the Institute for Medical Virology at the Frankfurt University Hospital on Tuesday in the NDR podcast "The Coronavirus Update". What one observes is "a slight limitation, but not a complete failure of the vaccinations".

Reports from Great Britain that old people's home residents were newly infected with this variant despite having been completely vaccinated do not worry Ciesek too much: No vaccination protection works completely, especially in older people with a poor immune system. Reinfections are not surprising. "The important thing is that these people do not get seriously ill.“

How things will continue globally when global tourism returns with falling incidences remains to be seen, said Ciesek. "We are currently seeing in India and also in other countries such as Brazil that new variants are emerging there, which are then brought back to Germany and can also lead to a hazard here."

Even if the situation in Germany and Europe eased, the rest of the world should not be forgotten, Ciesek warned. “We are not sitting in a crystal ball, we are one world. That is why the pandemic will not end until it is ended worldwide. ”The rich countries also have a responsibility,“ but many only think within their radius ”. She hopes that after the end of the pandemic, the world will “really try to learn from it, not only locally, but also worldwide” (Berliner Zeitung)

17 hours ago, steviewevie said:

FAKE LORD fearmongering again.

12 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I think I remember seeing something like that too, they’ve been warnings from the CRG already through various votes in the Commons. You are right, it’ll be similar to how it was for May.

People will be rightly pissed off if after all the good work with lockdowns and vaccinations that the government can’t stick the June 21 date for all restrictions being removed. Whether it was likely or not they said and will have to give very good reasons for not sticking to it. 

I don't think they will. I think the 18th was the crucial date for most people. June 21 they'll remove restrictions for masks in pubs and make it 10 people instead of 6 and job's a good 'un. 

The vast majority don't care about gigs and festivals, nor are they desperate to drink while stood up in a pub rather than sat at a table. Some pubs are desperate to get the capacity back, but I think this forum is disproportionately attended by people who enjoy packed, sweaty, close places. Indeed, there's huge swathes of people who prefer how pubs are now (masks aside) compared to how they were before.

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Once this is over people like her will not get any air time. I can imagine they want the pandemic and lockdown to continue for their own career.

Yeah, all these scientists that went into science in the hope that one day there would be a health crisis and they could get on TV. Believe me, most scientists are really looking forward to being able to go back to doing actual science.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Also, isn't 70% the mystical figure for herd immunity? I'd be interested to see the local impact after the whitsun week holiday in a fortnight. Get through that unscathed and in my opinion, we're home and hosed. Certainly in my area, at least.

No it isn't. The figure depends on how much the vaccines reduce transmission and the R rate of the prevailing variant. We don't know either figure for certain right now.

Just now, Barry Fish said:

But all scientists are not being called out...  Just the ones trolling the nation.

If that's the intent, with the dismissive way people refer to "nerds" and "boffins" in this thread it's really not coming across.

20 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Government have lost the plot on travel...

Now you can go on holiday to amber list if its essential to you 🙂 

What a bunch of idiots 🙂 

i am sorry to say this, as much as i like the UK with its people, the great festivals you get nowhere else and the great beer -

but this whole thing is a hoax.

1 hour ago, Havors said:

I had my first on monday. Was expecting to be wiped out.... nothing... not even a sore arm. Maybe because ive already had the virus and this is just a booster for me and i kick covids ass 😄 

Maybe! It's a very mixed bag as I know people that have been wiped out by one not the other, vice versa, not affected by either and then wiped out by both and that's just in my own family. 

Interesting question to spark debate - when do we all think we should stop focusing on daily numbers of cases and deaths? 

caveat I'm NOT saying now; I'm actually undecided on this but I do think there needs to be a time this information is published a LOT less frequently, or we'll be in lockdown in October when vaccinated people start testing positive, going to hospital and even dying 

This last week has shown exactly what the media and some public opinion will look like at that time and I'm dreading it...

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

Interesting question to spark debate - when do we all think we should stop focusing on daily numbers of cases and deaths? 

Personally I stopped looking at it about a month ago when it dropped to under 10 deaths a day.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Maybe you need a bit thicker skin ?  Its just a little fun poking. 

Christina and friends down at fake sage - that is who most the dislike is aimed at...

I'm not a scientist so it doesn't bother me, but the attitude shown towards scientists saying things they don't like by some on here sounds exactly like the anti-vaxxers and climate change deniers. 

In your case I'm sure it's just a bit of fun but for some people I'm less sure.

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I'm not a scientist so it doesn't bother me, but the attitude shown towards scientists saying things they don't like by some on here sounds exactly like the anti-vaxxers and climate change deniers. 

At least nobody has wished any of them dead, because that would be really crazy wouldn’t it Deano? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

But there are other scientists saying that it's nothing to worry about - you pick your sides I guess based on which is most persuasive. Right now nothing in the numbers seems to be causing much alarm apart from Bolton but there are plenty of mitigating factors there 

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

Had a text about booking 1st appointment, but the website only lets you book if you do both 1st & 2nd. And it says don't bother ringing 119 because they have access to the same appointments as the website 😞

ah right, sorry...thought you were trying to book 2nd vaccine only.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

social media is also full of people saying all this indian variant stuff is bollocks, ignore the scientists they just want to keep us locked up forever etc etc. Bit like on here really.

Exactly. Not getting nearly the same amount of publicity on traditional Media as I-SAGE. 

1 hour ago, TheNewUnion said:

I had to book my second appointment at a different centre to my first. I was told that some of the local vaccination centres were to be wound down in favour of the mass-vaccination centres. So I booked my first at the local pharmacy and then the second at the local mass-vac place (at the rugby stadium). Not sure that is helpful, but changing location for my second jab gave me loads of options.

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

When I go to book, the only hubs that come up are 20 miles away when there’s a centre a 5-minute walk away. Going to wait for the GP text I think.

Thanks guys. It's giving me a mass hub in Portsmouth (a mile or so away) for 1st dose but only Brighton, Reading or Wimbledon for the 2nd dose. I'll keep trying, and will call my GP if nothing turns up.