When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, incident said:

So many question is.. Given that the announcement today was supposed to be about "data not dates" and was praised for taking that approach - why the fuck are we hearing so many specific dates, and some of them so far into the future?

I think it’s because dates are the most tangible thing for most people in click bait headlines basically.

I don’t think the journalists actually know the dates for certain but are more working them out themselves based off the 5 week window being in place for when the data is looked at before easing restrictions further 

8 minutes ago, incident said:

So many question is.. Given that the announcement today was supposed to be about "data not dates" and was praised for taking that approach - why the fuck are we hearing so many specific dates, and some of them so far into the future?

My guess is that the first two dates which are apparently stage 1a and 1b are the starting point, and the 3 stages after will be data driven. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if Boris wanted “1a and 1b” to be stage 1 but there was too much pushback from the over cautious advisors.

Edited by BobWillis

20 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Again: what is more important, the kids catching up on lost education or your summer break (where you might not even be able to go anywhere anyway)?

And if the answer is the summer break, then why are we so obsessed with getting schools back now, ahead of anything else? When we've just admitted than having a summer holiday actually matters more?

You make is sound that kids and parents have been on a years jolly in these crazy times.

6 minutes ago, thetime said:

You make is sound that kids and parents have been on a years jolly in these crazy times.

Well I've been told kids have missed loads of education and there's a huge problem brewing, despite the remote schooling. Do you think that's not the case? 

2 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Macron and the EU in absolute ruins. You love to see it. 

058FBC10-70E3-4B80-B4E1-7B1E45C26668.png

So now we have reduced vulnerable risk and serious illness by 80-90%... the vulnerable were already a small %. There is evidence its reduces transmission as well. We have effectively broken the chain. Surely this makes the need for restrictions such as rule of 6 and other social distancing completely pointless? Especially as we get to the month of May.

I can understand staggered lifting but there is talk about 5 weeks in between stages of unlocking.. thats just ridiculous to me. The numbers are only going to keep coming down as we head into summer coupled with the effect of the vaccine. Either the vaccine works and we get back to normal or we have wasted billions and we are going to live in some perpetual state of nonsense rules. 

I would like to see everything back to normal by June. i.e. no restrictions at all just an emphasis on good hygiene

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Havors said:

I would like to see everything back to normal by June. i.e. no restrictions at all just an emphasis on good hygiene

The government were constantly saying things will look differently by spring....now its restrictions until July/August?

10 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

The government were constantly saying things will look differently by spring....now its restrictions until July/August?

One thing that does actually give me a bit of confidence is this in an odd way.  Before they seemed to be loose and ready with dates (probably due to ignorance) whereas now it feels more controlled. We may not agree entirely with it but, by god it’s so much better than what they have been doing up until now.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Havors said:

So now we have reduced vulnerable risk and serious illness by 80-90%... the vulnerable were already a small %. There is evidence its reduces transmission as well. We have effectively broken the chain. Surely this makes the need for restrictions such as rule of 6 and other social distancing completely pointless? Especially as we get to the month of May.

I can understand staggered lifting but there is talk about 5 weeks in between stages of unlocking.. thats just ridiculous to me. The numbers are only going to keep coming down as we head into summer coupled with the effect of the vaccine. Either the vaccine works and we get back to normal or we have wasted billions and we are going to live in some perpetual state of nonsense rules. 

There are growing rumours Spaffer will unlock certain phases earlier as it will look good on him and the party - especially ahead of the local elections in May.

1 hour ago, scattered_screens said:

Had my vaccine on my 25th birthday last week, no one noticed it was my birthday when vaccinating me, probably too much in the zone! T1 diabetic but was surprised i got it as early as i did

Must have been ahead of the curve in your area T1 diabetic 44 and mines tomoro ... yay 

3 minutes ago, ShakeyCrash said:

One thing that does actually give me a bit of confidence is this in an odd way.  Before they seemed to be loose and ready with dates (probably due to ignorance) whereas now it feels more controlled. We may not agree entirely with it but, by god it’s so much better than what they have been doing up until now.

Only if they add the caveat that dates may come forward or pushed back depending on the science. If we get to July and had next to no infections or deaths for weeks on end, then I will be most angry. 

People may not agree, but for me, once that vulnerable list is vaccinated 1st or 2nd dose, we need to open up completely. There is no justification for any remaining lockdown after that. I can live with and understand staggering it though... But i think there needs to be a regular fortnightly review. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Havors said:

Only if they add the caveat that dates may come forward or pushed back depending on the science. If we get to July and had next to no infections or deaths for weeks on end, then I will be most angry. 

People may not agree, but for me, once that vulnerable list is vaccinated 1st or 2nd dose, we need to open up completely. There is no justification for any remaining lockdown after that. I can live with and understand staggering it though... But i think there needs to be a regular fortnightly review. 

Yeah I'm with you on that. I see no reasons for restrictions by June

If people refuse to take a vaccine and they get ill, zero sympathy for me

Edited by zahidf

17 minutes ago, ShakeyCrash said:

They seemed to have learnt from the earlier loosening so far in that regards which is reassuring that they can get this one right. So far I’m fairly optimistic about this given the majority of the information we’ve seen so far. 

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

The nerds are at it again.

As if anyone gives a crap about the stupid people refusing vaccines  

ConcernedPrestigiousLacewing-small.gif

Whilst the vast majority have played by the rules in the last 12 months to protect the vulnerable I very much doubt there will be the same willingness to protect people who refuse the vaccine. 

Edited by Chef

2 minutes ago, Havors said:

Totally agree that the dates should be flexible both ways (posted as such yesterday).  There may be a good reason for being slow in future but hard to see it now (Whitey could probably explain it to me and get me on board in 5 seconds though)

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

The nerds are at it again.

As if anyone gives a crap about the stupid people refusing vaccines  

ConcernedPrestigiousLacewing-small.gif

What the f**k is he going on about? Refuseniks? Also, the whole population does not need vaccinating. And unprotected permanently? Makes zero sense. 

3 minutes ago, Chef said:

Whilst the vast majority have played by the rules in the last 12 months to protect the vulnerable I very much doubt there will be the same willingness to protect people who refuse the vaccine. 

Yup. Anyone refusing the vaccine without a medical reason is on their own IMO

1 hour ago, aj6658 said:

I mean if Glastonbury says you need a vaccine passport to go and one of my friends doesn't have it because they 1. Think it was made too fast, 2. They don't know what's in it, 3. Laziness not to go get it or any other reason where they found an article on FB, then tough. They cant go and ill have a good time. Im happy to lose friends for things like this just like im happy to lose friends if they don't believe in climate change or are a trump supporters. Kinda defines what type of person you are.

If there is a genuine medical reason (e.g. you're pregnant as there's no peer reviewed studies on the effects of yet) then fine, I have no issue with you and there needs to be exceptions for things like that with vaccine passports.

My issue is those who are anti-vaxers are not subject matter experts. I'm an accountant. I don't have a degree in immunology or anything related to biology other than one A level. It would nothing short of arrogance for me to say im not taking the vaccine because of x,y,z because at that point im calling 99%  researchers, doctors and medical professionals a liar because they are telling me this is safe.

"Kinda defines what type of person you are." Judgemental and intolerant? Is it OK for me to refuse to be a friend of a muslim (as an example) because I don't agree with their views on women's role in society or homosexuality? Anti-muslim sentiment on here is usually frowned upon (quite rightly), they have a right to a different opinion to me. I have friends with differing views on many things but I doubt I would lose them over a political argument.

"because at that point im calling 99%  researchers, doctors and medical professionals a liar because they are telling me this is safe." It's possible to believe they are telling the truth but are mistaken, not everything is as black and white as you seem to think.