When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Once things ‘open up’ again, are we expecting Test & Trace to stop? And the whole 10 day isolation thing?
If we are accepting that the virus is going to spread (but the most vulnerable should be protected) then is there really any point trying to control/minimise outbreaks anymore, and does T&T then become more harm than it’s worth?

6 minutes ago, st dan said:

Once things ‘open up’ again, are we expecting Test & Trace to stop? And the whole 10 day isolation thing?

i'm expecting those to run until at-least this time next year, when we might find out what the long term effect is of covid.

6 minutes ago, st dan said:

If we are accepting that the virus is going to spread (but the most vulnerable should be protected) then is there really any point trying to control/minimise outbreaks anymore, and does T&T then become more harm than it’s worth?

we'll have got infections down to traceable levels by the end of this lockdown, and we've no idea currently what the effects would be of letting it 'run wild'.

We need to find out more before things like t&t can be dropped.

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

Same story here too. Shifts at some sites go pretty much as soon as they are released to the website, certainly in the smaller ones. I had a shift on Friday afternoon, but turned out I wasn't needed so came home. Only half the centre was operating. Not sure why.

Got another shift on Wednesday so hopefully that'll be more productive

For all the complaints about other people' "lock down breakers", idiots etc, throughout this, most people have mainly  adhered to the rules, most people have supported tough measures, people have been helping out neighbours and vulnerable people and whenever there's been a call for volunteers, the services making the requests have been been inundated with more people than they need- think we spend too much time focused on the d***heads, and overlook or forget this sometimes!

9 hours ago, xxialac said:

Lunacy.

What possible Glastonbury chat do you expect to find in a Covid thread called 'When will this shit end?' (and 18 months before the next Glastonbury)?

If you not interested in it, don't click on it.

I wouldn’t say it’s lunacy.  There is still Glastonbury chat going on in this forum outside the echo chamber of this thread, 18 months before the next Glastonbury. 

I don’t think this thread helps attract new members. If they stumble upon here they’ll probably have a look - because it’s constantly hot and at the top of the page - and see the same few members being quite shitty with each other, more often than not. 

I read this thread as it’s a good source of information but there’s an awful lot of noise in it too. 

I agree it would be much nicer tucked away in Discussions where people who want it can find it and people who don’t won’t accidentally stumble across the madness. 

13 minutes ago, st dan said:

No- think test and trace will become more important as the focus will be on new and more spreadable variants- they don't want to get to a situation where most people have been vaccinated with the Oxford one, then the variant first identified in South Africa starts to spread rapidly (especially if the Oxford vaccine doesn't protect against serious illness).

The key information we need going forward is vaccines's effectiveness on variants, including whether they have a sterilising effect (so people can't pass it on even if they're immune), and whether they protect against hospitalisation and death, even if they don't protect against mild or moderate. Also how long immunity/resistance lasts after having been infected and which new variants can lead to re-infection. We've had snippets, but we need more comprehensive data, and that will take a while. Without this data it's hard to know what we'll need to do moderate to long term.

8 hours ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Ahh, the anticipated personal attack. This thread continues to deliver....

Your comments are often abrasive about this thread itself and the nature of the debate you think should be on here.

If you don’t like it so much, why not spend your time posting on one of the other hundreds of threads provided instead.

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

For all the complaints about other people' "lock down breakers", idiots etc, throughout this, most people have mainly  adhered to the rules, most people have supported tough measures, people have been helping out neighbours and vulnerable people and whenever there's been a call for volunteers, the services making the requests have been been inundated with more people than they need- think we spend too much time focused on the d***heads, and overlook or forget this sometimes!

In the lockdown, the place I worked out a call out for members of the public to volunteer for things, put them through a DBS check (at no cost to the volunteer) the full works, letters to show police if they were stopped and some form of 'offical' name badge.

Fortunatly it didn't need most of them but you wouldn't believe level of complaint and nastiness from a tiny minority of volunteers because they weren't being required it was really surprising. Equally surprising was that volunteers were told not to go to certain streets due to incidents, so only council officers could go to those streets, again these were few and far between but the fact it even happens is incredibly unsavoury.

This pandemic has certainly highlighted the good and bad in society - Fortunatly like you say my experience is that the overwhelming majority of people have abided by the rules, and when the call for help has gone out the community has responded in far greater numbers than required. 

In the first lockdown there felt like more of a community where I lived, people sharing a brew or a beer over garden walls, and talking to people you didn't speak to before as it's gone on and and it's become normal this has certainly stopped obviously the weather doesn't help! 

42 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It does seem that some of the people that supported Corbyn would rather see the Tories win in 2024 rather than a pure-left Labour Party win. 

To be fair a lot of centrists would rather see the Tories win than have a left wing Labour Party, as we saw over the past few years. And also as we saw with Brexit, a lot of centrists refuse to compromise if they actually feel strongly about something, so I think that old 'centrists are sensible and pragmatic and left-wingers are crazy, uncompromising purists' is really out of date- we're all pretty much the same.

17 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

i'm expecting those to run until at-least this time next year, when we might find out what the long term effect is of covid.

we'll have got infections down to traceable levels by the end of this lockdown, and we've no idea currently what the effects would be of letting it 'run wild'.

We need to find out more before things like t&t can be dropped.

I mean I agree and expect these to carry on too, but thinking it though logically I don’t know how it can be managed as we try to move back to ‘normal’ and restrictions are eased.

How are businesses and employees going to react? Will people have to take unpaid leave? And pubs/restaurants/shops for example - if one member of staff tests positive are they expected to close for 10 days? And they will definitely have customers who will test positive too. It could become a real nightmare, I guess we just have to hope the levels remain very low. 

Edited by st dan

17 minutes ago, st dan said:

I mean I agree and expect these to carry on too, but thinking it though logically I don’t know how it can be managed as we try to move back to ‘normal’ and restrictions are eased.

How are businesses and employees going to react? Will people have to take unpaid leave? And pubs/restaurants/shops for example - if one member of staff tests positive are they expected to close for 10 days? And they will definitely have customers who will test positive too. It could become a real nightmare, I guess we just have to hope the levels remain very low. 

i'd guess isolation will be less-necessary if vaccines are cutting infections by 67% (just above).

So perhaps they might do tests on the contacts rather than tell them to isolate without a test, and if they're negative they can return to normality.

28 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Your comments are often abrasive about this thread itself and the nature of the debate you think should be on here.

If you don’t like it so much, why not spend your time posting on one of the other hundreds of threads provided instead.

Abrasive but not personal.

You know this is called the 'shit thread' elsewhere don't you?

9 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

So, it’s going to be difficult for bands/creatives to tour in Europe but our ‘culture’ minister is more concerned about this...

Best way to start a culture war is to announce you're going to fight a culture war.

This is also way outside the government's remit.

Edited by xxialac

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

To be fair a lot of centrists would rather see the Tories win than have a left wing Labour Party, as we saw over the past few years. And also as we saw with Brexit, a lot of centrists refuse to compromise if they actually feel strongly about something, so I think that old 'centrists are sensible and pragmatic and left-wingers are crazy, uncompromising purists' is really out of date- we're all pretty much the same.

Oh yeah I agree with you there, I don’t really mean the majority of those on the left. It just seems some of the loudest would rather see Labour fail unless it’s under their chosen leader. But you are completely right, that does go both ways and did back in 2017 to pretty much cost Labour a chance of forming a government. 

2 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Haha brilliant. Yeah also substantially better than miliband or Brown but yeah, i’m sure they’re just finishing engraving old keiths name on the marginally-better-than-Corbyn-at-his-nadir trophy.

This is why Starmer will come to nothing. The Starmer doinks are still just absolutely obsessed with Corbyn. Starmer’s only policy is being not Corbyn.

Not sure what a doink is? 

I just want a Labour government and it's clear that infinitely more likely with Starmer or similar than Corbyn or similar. And the "Keith" patter which is some of the absolute shittest in the online left sphere almost all comes from those who refuse to accept the mess Corbyn left the party in. I haven't noticed you posting any of the polls of the last few months which have Labour ahead? Almost like you dislike Labour being successful more than the tories...