When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

44 minutes ago, st dan said:

The sheer numbers of positive cases and deaths has meant that the majority of anti-lockdowners have now realised that it is the only real way out of this mess we’re currently in. If anything at all were to reopen at this stage we’d be effectively writing off the summer. This lockdown (with added bonus of the vaccine rollout) gives us a chance of some ‘normality’ in a few months. And it’s hard for anybody to think or argue  otherwise right now. 

Spot on. However it’s only a temporary state. By March/April I reckon there will be a lot of pressure for significant relaxations and those far-right Tories sending their warning shots last week will have more support than is apparent right now. Equally the Zero Covid ideas and holiday bans being pushed by the likes of Srdhar aren’t as popular outside Twitter circles where everyone thinks the same. It’s going to be like walking a really big and excitable puppy.

52 minutes ago, st dan said:

The sheer numbers of positive cases and deaths has meant that the majority of anti-lockdowners have now realised that it is the only real way out of this mess we’re currently in. If anything at all were to reopen at this stage we’d be effectively writing off the summer. This lockdown (with added bonus of the vaccine rollout) gives us a chance of some ‘normality’ in a few months. And it’s hard for anybody to think or argue  otherwise right now. 

Ive been told I'm being way too optimistic but I think by august we'll be back to pre-covid. My reasoning is that with the vaccine, we're hitting around 2-3m a week. Once the Morderna and J+J vaccine are approved we could be hitting 4-5m a week. J+J is a single jab that's easy to transport. Less effective than the 2 shot vaccines but you could use J+J for people under 50.

If 70% of the population is vaccinated (with 100% of at risk) where is the risk and danger? Sure I think borders should be heavily restricted till other countries catch up but I inside the UK we should be good 

Am I being way to unrealistic ?

Maybe I’m missing something here but if the number 9 priority group (16-64 with underlying health conditions) are vaccinated in this order that will cover the vast majority of all workers that are known to be vulnerable to hospitalisations/deaths whatever their profession? I do appreciate that there will be some under 64 with unknown conditions but this will be quite a small percentage?

21439058-AD56-4486-BE14-7C76C398617E.jpeg

16 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Ive been told I'm being way too optimistic but I think by august we'll be back to pre-covid. My reasoning is that with the vaccine, we're hitting around 2-3m a week. Once the Morderna and J+J vaccine are approved we could be hitting 4-5m a week. J+J is a single jab that's easy to transport. Less effective than the 2 shot vaccines but you could use J+J for people under 50.

If 70% of the population is vaccinated (with 100% of at risk) where is the risk and danger? Sure I think borders should be heavily restricted till other countries catch up but I inside the UK we should be good 

Am I being way to unrealistic ?

Personally I don’t think it will be back to fully pre-Covid until way into 2022, but we could certainly be in a position of ‘normality’ by the summer given some of the reasons you have stated. 
Its certainly possible that you will be allowed to meet who you want, where you want, when you want - and if that is the offer right now I’ll snatch their hand off for it. 

Just now, Ozanne said:

It’s probably to go into detail about the border controls I would think. 

Johnson and detail don't belong in the same sentence!

One of the new measures announced this afternoon is that people will be asked at the airport if their journey is essential.

Will achieve nothing. Like trying to stop terrorism by asking all passengers if they are a terrorist.

"Agh, I am, it's a fair cop, you've rumbled me!"

3 minutes ago, st dan said:

Personally I don’t think it will be back to fully pre-Covid until way into 2022, but we could certainly be in a position of ‘normality’ by the summer given some of the reasons you have stated. 
Its certainly possible that you will be allowed to meet who you want, where you want, when you want - and if that is the offer right now I’ll snatch their hand off for it. 

Agreed. If rule of 6 is still in play I will take it but god I would love a beer festival the summer. My hometown has a small one every year and would love it if it was to go ahead