When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

22nd Feb the lockdown ending plan to be unveiled. Surely means full lockdown until at least end of March (as expected). 

Isnt March the 4th the review date?

If the lockdown easing plan is based on cases/vaccination numbers/hospitalisations, then i can see some easing in March

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Isnt March the 4th the review date?

If the lockdown easing plan is based on cases/vaccination numbers/hospitalisations, then i can see some easing in March

39BA6E12-2CB0-49D6-8406-F2A4A2CEBD4E.thumb.jpeg.29c19784d0c1290bd8b640fa4fd07e6a.jpeg

Reviewing the data 15th Feb and then presenting finding and next steps the following week it appears. 

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

ooooh, I believe you could be right. It says "will have achieved herd immunity" by 14th July. Even better.

Still can't see the raving right tories being reigned back till then.

Yeah i reckon May bank holiday will be when they really agitate for stuff to reopen

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

For once I find myself agreeing with Boris ....

Absolutely - just thinking that myself. A misjudgement from Kier re challenging the JCVI priority list, and asking it to become a political decision rather than a scientific one. 

Edited by st dan

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

For once I find myself agreeing with Boris ....

Agreed. It definitely makes sense to exercise caution now to make sure this is the final lockdown. Even if it means staying locked down a week or two more than we really need to, just to make sure.

1 minute ago, st dan said:

Absolutely - just thinking that myself. A misjudgement from Kier re challenging the JCVI priority list, and asking it to become a political decision rather than a scientific one. 

TBF labour are asking the JCVI to look at it again, not to overule them

I dont agree with them on it though. Keep it for age for now and then change it once you get the 50s i reckon

2 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

Agreed. It definitely makes sense to exercise caution now to make sure this is the final lockdown. Even if it means staying locked down a week or two more than we really need to, just to make sure.

more on the priority list ... but yes I agree on this to 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

more on the priority list ... but yes I agree on this to 

Ah fair enough - well I also agree on that too! I feel like if they switched now that would absolutely be something Starmer/Labour would try to use as a stick to beat them with.

9 minutes ago, zahidf said:

TBF labour are asking the JCVI to look at it again, not to overule them

I dont agree with them on it though. Keep it for age for now and then change it once you get the 50s i reckon

As Johnson quite rightly said, that list was derived on the basis of protecting those are most likely to die or become seriously ill from Covid. The vast majority of teachers do not fall into this category. 
One moment Kier is attacking for the number of deaths (quite right to do so) but then is saying we should essentially prioritise schools reopening rather than saving lives, by vaccinating teachers before those in the higher risk categories. His arguments seem to contradict each other on this point. 

Edited by st dan

So, 3 weeks after the first 4 groups are vaccinated ( reading between the lines) the deaths and cases should be low enough to allow less restrictions

"If we achieve our target of vaccinating everyone in the four most vulnerable groups with their first dose by February 15, and every passing day sees more progress towards that goal, then those groups [will] have developed immunity from the virus about three-weeks later, that is by March 8.

We hope it will therefore be safe to begin the reopening of schools from Monday, March 8.

With other economic and social restrictions being removed thereafter as and when the data permits ... then or thereafter I should say."

My money is on 8th March for schools, the return of the rule of 6 in outdoor public a paces and no formal “stay at home” rule.

Then if there is no increase in the numbers after that, we could be looking at late March for gyms and retail (effectively tier 3 rules nationwide)

If that goes well then we could see Tier 2 rules brought in at some point between mid April and early May. That would mean hospitality can open with the rule of 6 in place, however only outdoor venues would be able to serve multi-household groups. This would also mean that the rule of 6 would apply in private gardens, and people would be allowed to take “staycations” in the UK. 

So I think we’re looking at perhaps late May/early June for us to really move towards a semblance of normality. This would mean that household mixing would be allowed (in groups of 6) in hospitality venues or visiting private homes. Hopefully this level of normality can be maintained until the vaccine rollout is completed and restrictions can be formally abolished, although it may be that tier 1/2 will be reintroduced next winter to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, 54cost said:

Guys, according to you, with variants, and vaccination rythm, are you confident there will be huge festival as glastonbury, tomorrowland or UMF in summer 2022, with or without social distancing and masks ?

I know that a lot of people don't know, but i just wanted to have your feeling now.

Yes, unless something goes badly wrong - new strain of the virus having significant vaccine resistance or such.

17 minutes ago, st dan said:

If we knew the vaccine reduced transmission it would be a good idea, potentially, but we don't. And we do know it prevents serious illness which is key for the groups it's being used on.

Would love to know where Labour got that idea? Did Kier just dream it up or were they getting scientific advice?

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

that will give them a end date for all (or most) restrictions though..so, gradually get schools, then shops, then pubs open etc etc...and by July everyone can go out and play, but you can't go abroad.

I'm pretty certain you will be able to go abroad by then. 

The new measures brought in have already been watered down and the UK aviation and travel industry I suspect deemed too important to allow to fail or too expensive to bail out.