When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

I do wonder if testing could become so common place that a negative test result on an app or a vaccine certificate might allow entry to pubs / clubs .... especially with these quick tests ..... maybe just a dream though as the mass tests seems to have failed 

Have you had yours back by the way? Couldn't believe mine took more than 3 days. If I couldn't work from home that would be a right pain in the arse, as I'm sure it is for many.

49 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Downing Street have refused to confirm or deny that he drove to the Olympic park to then cycle.

Which means he obviously did, right?

The MP asked on C4 news yesterday totally swerved it and pretended he hadn't seen the story. Which would also suggest that he did it.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Have you had yours back by the way? Couldn't believe mine took more than 3 days. If I couldn't work from home that would be a right pain in the arse, as I'm sure it is for many.

Yep all good ... negative as I was expecting... still a relief though 🙂 just serving the rest of my time now 🙂 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, zahidf said:

On starmers thinking

Well Johnson will quickly make any political gains he can from a successful vaccination rollout...infact silly Toynbee has suggested he may be tempted to call a snap election later in the year when enjoying a bounce in the polls and before difficult economic decisions are made to reduce the deficit and any brexit shit hits the fan.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Well Johnson will quickly make any political gains he can from a successful vaccination rollout...infact silly Toynbee has suggested he may be tempted to call a snap election later in the year when enjoying a bounce in the polls and before difficult economic decisions are made to reduce the deficit and any brexit shit hits the fan.

As much as I would love the chance to vote these fools out there is no way they are risking an 80 seat majority just because the polls look good. Maybe a couple of years down the line but right now there’s more to lose than gain. 

15 hours ago, duke88 said:

I’d say there was a difference between driving five miles to go for a walk, and your exercise starting from home and you ending up five miles away as part of it.

I’m certainly more than five miles from home at some points when I go for a bike ride or run, but I do start from home.

15 hours ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

I already know in wasting my time but do you not in anyway way see that riding your bike 7 miles is different to driving to a lake, via Starbucks to go for a walk with your friend? 

While there is clearly a difference, they're both within the rules (based on how you define "locally") so the only way we can really determine which is worst is to look at why the rules exist.

The "locally" rule seems to exist for two reasons:

1) to stop the spread of the new variant to places it isn't yet

2) to stop people going to popular locations en masse

In terms of 1, all that matters is how far you went. Doesn't matter how. The further you go, the worse. Johnson went further.

In terms of 2, those two girls appeared to be in a walking spot in the middle of nowhere. Johnson went to Olympic Park. 

The reality is that outside of this it doesn't matter if people drive somewhere. As far as I know transmission from inside to outside a car hasn't happened ever. We can maybe argue that the "meet one person outside" rule shouldn't exist but then I would imagine Johnson has far more close contacts every day through "work" meetings than either of those ladies had.

The idea that there's a difference between cycling somewhere for 7 miles and driving 5 miles then walking is flawed in terms of how the virus spreads.

12 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

I get the thinking behind it, but I'm not sure it's practically possible - there's definitely not enough space indoors for 3m distancing, and even outdoors, there's not that much space on pavements etc

Maybe that's the point. It'll force people to realise they have to walk single file along opposite edges of the pavement when passing people. It's not 3m but it's "as far away as possible" which isn't what people are doing at the moment. Perhaps because a lot of pavements are 2m wide, and then they don't realise the one they are on is narrower.

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Why bother with a snap election when they have a 80 seat majority? They'll only lose seats.

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

As much as I would love the chance to vote these fools out there is no way they are risking an 80 seat majority just because the polls look good. Maybe a couple of years down the line but right now there’s more to lose than gain. 

This is her take on it...I agree probably won't happen though...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/11/could-boris-johnson-be-eyeing-another-snap-election-dont-bet-against-it

14 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

While there is clearly a difference, they're both within the rules (based on how you define "locally") so the only way we can really determine which is worst is to look at why the rules exist.

The "locally" rule seems to exist for two reasons:

1) to stop the spread of the new variant to places it isn't yet

2) to stop people going to popular locations en masse

In terms of 1, all that matters is how far you went. Doesn't matter how. The further you go, the worse. Johnson went further.

In terms of 2, those two girls appeared to be in a walking spot in the middle of nowhere. Johnson went to Olympic Park. 

The reality is that outside of this it doesn't matter if people drive somewhere. As far as I know transmission from inside to outside a car hasn't happened ever. We can maybe argue that the "meet one person outside" rule shouldn't exist but then I would imagine Johnson has far more close contacts every day through "work" meetings than either of those ladies had.

The idea that there's a difference between cycling somewhere for 7 miles and driving 5 miles then walking is flawed in terms of how the virus spreads.

Maybe that's the point. It'll force people to realise they have to walk single file along opposite edges of the pavement when passing people. It's not 3m but it's "as far away as possible" which isn't what people are doing at the moment. Perhaps because a lot of pavements are 2m wide, and then they don't realise the one they are on is narrower.

For anyone that’s aware of it I live near Virginia Water great park which is crown estate. It’s a beautiful place and attracts a lot of people, especially at the moment. When I say I live near, it’s probably about 3 miles to the nearest car park and maybe 5/6 to the furthest car park. I’m a member so have a car park pass, but the member only car parks (which are naturally less busy) are the furthest away from me, so technically when I go there I have to drive further than those girls did. But pre-pandemic I went there pretty much every day anyway to walk my dogs, because to me it’s local.

At times they have limited how many people they let in the car parks there, but people still park on the surrounding roads anyway in huge numbers.

I suppose the point I’m making is that local is open to interpretation, at any one time there is probably about 1000+ cars parked in or around this area belonging to people who are visiting the park. Are they all breaking the rules because they needed to use a car to get there? And if so should the rules ban using a car to get anywhere to exercise to avoid any such ambiguity?

If you can’t drive to get anywhere, who do places have their car parks open?

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Why bother with a snap election when they have a 80 seat majority? They'll only lose seats.

Yeah I agree, I’d like an election this year but it won’t happen I don’t think. Unless Johnson goes and the new Tory leader wants a fresh mandate but even then it’s unlikely. 

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

People at work often use plastic gloves .... aren’t they supposed to be used in clinical settings when people move between patients and are pretty ineffective elsewhere .... washing hands and sanitising is far better ... just don’t put your hands near your nose /mouth in the meantime ... 

The use of gloves in some situations drives me crazy. I made a complaint to the local Morrison's (which unsurprisingly fell on deaf ears) that the checkout operators were wearing disposable gloves, but never changing them. So they would handle the person in front of me's cash, touch their mask or scratch their face, and then grab my fresh produce straight after. Not wearing gloves and using hand sanitiser between customers would be much safer (or changing gloves between customers but that would be wasteful at scale). For some reason people think wearing gloves magically makes their hands safe. It's another example of hygiene theatre.

And we had no choice but to go to the checkout because we had a trolley, which aren't allowed in self-checkout at Morrison's (even when the store is empty at 7am in the morning). Now we just fill up two baskets to the brim and go to self-checkout for our weekly shop.

Sorry for the rant, but incorrect disposable glove usage does my head in. 

18 minutes ago, zahidf said:

It’s absolutely not going to happen, but the motive is that it would buy them another full 5 year term. So if re-elected next spring they’d be in power until 2027, whereas if they hold on until 2024 they might well lose. It’s the same situation Gordon Brown was in back in autumn 2007 and history shows that him chickening out a snap election cost him the opportunity of a full term in number 10 because he went on to lose 2.5 years later.

It’s all hypothetical though, it’s not going to happen. 

1 minute ago, 2020 Vision said:

The use of gloves in some situations drives me crazy. I made a complaint to the local Morrison's (which unsurprisingly fell on deaf ears) that the checkout operators were wearing disposable gloves, but never changing them. So they would handle the person in front of me's cash, touch their mask or scratch their face, and then grab my fresh produce straight after. Not wearing gloves and using hand sanitiser between customers would be much safer (or changing gloves between customers but that would be wasteful at scale). For some reason people think wearing gloves magically makes their hands safe. It's another example of hygiene theatre.

And we had no choice but to go to the checkout because we had a trolley, which aren't allowed in self-checkout at Morrison's (even when the store is empty at 7am in the morning). Now we just fill up two baskets to the brim and go to self-checkout for our weekly shop.

Sorry for the rant, but incorrect disposable glove usage does my head in. 

It does mine too ... pickers are expected to pick 190 items per hour ... and the use of gloves will only transfer  things about ... best thing is regular sanitising and hand washing ... people won’t change them often enough to make any difference whatsoever