When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

im having a conversation with my sister about 1 dose protection from Pfizer ..... she insists its 50% ..... the guy on Jeremy Vine ... I missed his name says 90 % ....... which is correct ? 

Is 50% an assumption based on two doses and assuming they're half effective each? . If she's got that from a medical person (or is one herself) then she's probably right! 

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

Is 50% an assumption based on two doses and assuming they're half effective each? . If she's got that from a medical person (or is one herself) then she's probably right! 

just told me its from PHE .... so she's likely to be right .... just is completely different from what im hearing now 

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

im having a conversation with my sister about 1 dose protection from Pfizer ..... she insists its 50% ..... the guy on Jeremy Vine ... I missed his name says 90 % ....... which is correct ? 

It's only 50% if you count the 12 days where the vaccine hasn't had time to work.  It appears disproportionately low because Pfizer didn't do a one dose trial.  That's based on the small windows of time for the first dose, which was usually followed up after 21 days with a second dose.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

It's only 50% if you count the 12 days where the vaccine hasn't had time to work.  It appears disproportionately low because Pfizer didn't do a one dose trial.  That's based on the small windows of time for the first dose, which was usually followed up after 21 days with a second dose.

so after those 12 days  the protection goes up ? so for the intervening time between first and second doses it is higher protection although it might drop slightly towards the end of the 12 week period ? think ive got it 🙂 

People have fallen for this Boris bike ride thing and made it a huge story- when will people learn they're being played?

It shouldn't matter what the politicians are doing- people know what they should be doing and are willingly not doing so if they decide to use policitian behaviour as an excuse to break the rules 

Edited by efcfanwirral

13 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

It's from the Pfizer/FDA briefing document, I believe.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/van70zculni3s5e/VRBPAC-12.10.20-Meeting-Briefing-Document-FDA.pdf?dl=0

Actually, I think I may be thinking of a different document, but I think the numbers are all in here.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2034577

nejmoa2034577_f3.jpeg

@crazyfool1, the most quoted efficacy figure for a single Pfizer dose is the second row, last column.  52.4%.  That's probably the number your sister was talking about.  But it includes all that time when the vaccine obviously hasn't kicked in yet and then the period terminates 7 days after the graph flattens out.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Like 1

This is interesting:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/7569565/nasal-spray-covid-19-prevention/amp/

The company has also recently been approved to start clinical trials in the U.S., and has completed the first Phase 2 trial in Canada where none of the 100 people treated with the spray contracted the virus, Regev said.

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’m not one of those people who advocates mask mandates continuing permanently in shops and transport.

Depends what you mean - I'd like to see mask wearing in shops and on public transport *if you're feeling a bit ill*. Which is what happens in other countries. You won't see carriages full of them because not that many people will be ill at once. 

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

It does mine too ... pickers are expected to pick 190 items per hour ... and the use of gloves will only transfer  things about ... best thing is regular sanitising and hand washing ... people won’t change them often enough to make any difference whatsoever 

And this is why I clean everything from my click and collect orders