When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

"On the Tory WhatsApp group, one MP asked whether MPs ought to be one of the groups to get it early on."

who'd of thought it, eh? :lol: 

Also in that article...

Going into the spring, the beleaguered Prime Minister could find himself in a much better position, and looking ahead to a premiership that won’t be completely dominated by a global pandemic.

As one senior Labour figure puts it: “It’s not that hard to see a situation where by May, the Tories are in a strong place again – our poll lead right now is only small.”

Just now, steviewevie said:

Also in that article...

Going into the spring, the beleaguered Prime Minister could find himself in a much better position, and looking ahead to a premiership that won’t be completely dominated by a global pandemic.

As one senior Labour figure puts it: “It’s not that hard to see a situation where by May, the Tories are in a strong place again – our poll lead right now is only small.”

I think brexit might fuck that up.  

I think a lot of people after the euref were supporting brexit mostly on the basis that it should happen because it was voted for, and not because they were happy with any brexit outside of their personal take on it.

So a no-deal with added chaos (or even a deal with chaos) would make a lot of the people who supported brexit unhappy, I reckon. The bought into the idea of a deal much like we have now.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I think brexit might fuck that up.  

I think a lot of people after the euref were supporting brexit mostly on the basis that it should happen because it was voted for, and not because they were happy with any brexit outside of their personal take on it.

So a no-deal with added chaos (or even a deal with chaos) would make a lot of the people who supported brexit unhappy, I reckon. The bought into the idea of a deal much like we have now.

yeah...so I'm thinking they'll get a deal...which will include some sort of transition period which will avoid some of the disruption at the borders etc. But, of course I have no idea.

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I'm struggling a bit with people saying Cameron was competent.

Politically the way he kneecaped the Lib Dems was an incredible piece of maneuvering. 

Obviously the big mistake he did make with the referendum has had utterly horrendous and far-reaching consequences but up until that he wasn't doing a bad job. 

Try to imagine Cameron had been doing daily Coronavirus briefings instead of Boris and his cabinet of freaks. Imagine how different the mood in the country would be. I didn't like him, I didn't like his policies but quite honestly I would feel so much safer right now if we had that rather than Boris.

What wont be ideal is too much support for Labour, too early into this Government’s time in power.  
If in the next couple of years it’s becoming apparent that the Conservatives will lose the majority at the next election, then their remaining time in charge could be a ‘crash and burn’ job, with complete disregard to the mess they will leave behind. 

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Politically the way he kneecaped the Lib Dems was an incredible piece of maneuvering

Obviously the big mistake he did make with the referendum has had utterly horrendous and far-reaching consequences but up until that he wasn't doing a bad job. 

Try to imagine Cameron had been doing daily Coronavirus briefings instead of Boris and his cabinet of freaks. Imagine how different the mood in the country would be. I didn't like him, I didn't like his policies but quite honestly I would feel so much safer right now if we had that rather than Boris.

I read a theory last year that he didn’t actually want a majority in the 2015 election. In the campaign he was very careful on his choice of words “A majority Conservative government will offer an in/out referendum on Europe”. The theory was a second Con/LD coalition would give him cover to get out of doing the referendum. 

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I read a theory last year that he didn’t actually want a majority in the 2015 election. In the campaign he was very careful on his choice of words “A majority Conservative government will offer an in/out referendum on Europe”. The theory was a second Con/LD coalition would give him cover to get out of doing the referendum. 

I dunno that he didn't want a majority but it's often said he didn't think he'd get one, and that the LibDems would block a ref as part of a coalition deal.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I dunno that he didn't want a majority but it's often said he didn't think he'd get one, and that the LibDems would block a ref as part of a coalition deal.

It’s not a stretch to think that a centrist-leaning Tory like Cameron would feel more at home leading a CON/LD coalition rather than a Tory majority where there’s more need to pander to their more right wing factions. 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

It’s not a stretch to think that a centrist-leaning Tory like Cameron would feel more at home leading a CON/LD coalition rather than a Tory majority where there’s more need to pander to their more right wing factions. 

centrist? This is one of the biggest fallacies. Economically they were Thatcherism on heat...but I guess he did pretend to like society and polar bears and stuff.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

Am I correct in thinking the Oxford Vaccine trial results are expected next week?

Fingers crossed for another super Monday.

I think it's more "over the next few weeks" rather than any specific date.

It'll most likely be shortly after they hit their reporting mark - ie whenever enough people, hopefully all in the control group, have been infected, so timescales are likely to be an estimate.

25 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

They didn’t think they’d be the largest party in 2010 either, they were set on a much reduced Labour majority then look to beat them at the following election. Cleggmania, the crash and Brown calling the election too late all lead to Cameron becoming PM and the rest is history. 

If Brown had called an election within a year of taking office he would’ve won. 

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

I know there’s deep hatred of the UK government by the Irish and rightly so. 

It’s a huge shame as the Irish culture is very similar to the rest of the culture on these islands. Wish there was a way we could be more connected but without the bumbling idiots from Whitehall running things. 

Sort of, but not really. I've lived in all 4 countries of the UK and they are all more different than you might realise with NI feeling more different and 'separate' and not just by water so you'd assume the Republic of Ireland would feel even more so. In an odd way, New Zealand felt to have more in common with England than Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland (and those three don't seem to be that much like each other either)

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Howdy,

It's in the ballpark for rapid tests. While they are not as sensitive as PCR, the general feeling is that they are sensitive enough to identify infectious individuals, hence their greater utility for screening when things are opened up. The specificity is important as when case numbers are low, the more specific a test is, the fewer false positive it picks up (when case numbers are high, false negative are more the problem). 

• Upvote 1