When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Great news, how many doses do we have of this one? I cant remember if it's the lower amount 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-government-secures-additional-2-million-doses-of-moderna-covid-19-vaccine

7m in total. IIRC this was the one the UK didn't go in for and there was a bit of a scramble to order some when the strong efficacy data started coming out and they managed to get 5m then another 2m after that. I might have got confused on that though.

Downside is that the UK won't have this one coming online until spring so it won't help this initial push to vaccinate the most vulnerable. 

2 minutes ago, Chef said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-government-secures-additional-2-million-doses-of-moderna-covid-19-vaccine

7m in total. IIRC this was the one the UK didn't go in for and there was a bit of a scramble to order some when the strong efficacy data started coming out and they managed to get 5m then another 2m after that. I might have got confused on that though.

Downside is that the UK won't have this one coming online until spring so it won't help this initial push to vaccinate the most vulnerable. 

We've ordered another 10 million, so 17m now

1 minute ago, Chef said:

Yep, 10 million now ordered.

I think this is the one that the USA ordered the entire first 3 months supply right so even if we'd ordered early it wouldn't make a difference to supply. 

It's also very similar to the Pfizer vaccine so back when this was all unknown if this type would even work it was probably sensible to order the one that could arrive first and have a more diverse set of vaccine options.

3 minutes ago, Chef said:

might help with a boost to the numbers vaccinated  from March time ..... with that June target in mind 🙂 

Posted at 12:2212:22

UK government buys 10 million more Moderna doses

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency is authorising the Moderna vaccine following months of rigorous clinical trials involving tens of thousands of people and an extensive analysis of the vaccine’s safety, quality and effectiveness, the government says.

The vaccine is 94% effective in preventing disease, including in the elderly, it says, and the government is one of the first to sign an agreement with the company to supply the vaccine on behalf of the UK, Crown Dependencies and Overseas Territories.

The government says it has agreed to purchase an additional 10 million doses of the Moderna vaccine following its approval, on top of its previous order of 7 million, taking the total to 17 million.

As agreed when the UK originally pre-ordered the vaccine, supplies will begin to be delivered to the UK from spring once Moderna expands its production capability.

The vaccine will be available for free and the government is working with the devolved administrations to ensure it is deployed fairly across the UK.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

lol!

From the other direction, I doubt even Spaffer the liar will have plucked a number out of the air.

Which leads me to believe that his own 'guess' is actually based on what has been worked out as possible, from vaccine delivery timescales and what vaccination centres have said they can cope with.

That number might not be right, but is it wrong for a PM to give the number his advisors have told him?

The way the number was said is something else, but there's reason to have faith that something close to that number should be achievable. Remember, there's nothing new about mass vaccinations at speed for the UK even tho this one is bigger than the normal flu jabs.

And to be fair it's like the CEO of a company giving his management team a target too, while obviously he carries the responsibility for motivating them to make it happen, he isn't the one who will actually be doing the logistics. So while it's "his" target ultimately, the implementation is kind of out of his hands a bit. 

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

lol!

From the other direction, I doubt even Spaffer the liar will have plucked a number out of the air.

Which leads me to believe that his own 'guess' is actually based on what has been worked out as possible, from vaccine timescale deliveries and what vaccination centres have said they can cope with.

That number might not be right, but is it wrong for a PM to give the number his advisors have told him?

The way the number was said is something else, but there's reason to have faith that something close to that number should be achievable. Remember, there's nothing new about mass vaccinations at speed for the UK even tho this one is bigger than the normal flu jabs.

Yes it's wrong, something close to that number is not achievable.

Boris Johnson also stood behind a plan which was to test the entire population of 67m people every week (Operation Moonshot) and he also thought a bridge from Scotland to Ireland was a good idea.

Had those been 'worked out as possible' or can we simply give him the out of blaming his advisors?

8 minutes ago, Chef said:

17 million 

Hoping for a bit of advice from you guys as my family are struggling to understand the guidence. A collegue my brother has worked closely with in the past couple of days (van drives and working on a building site) has today tested positive. He is of course now self isolating.

The question I've had is, if he stays confined to his room with very mininmal contact, are both myself and my mother allowed to leave the house for an evening walk (while there is no one around) for some exersise?

He currently has no symptoms and so not had a test. I gather that for this reason, legally we should be fine to.

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

And to be fair it's like the CEO of a company giving his management team a target too, while obviously he carries the responsibility for motivating them to make it happen, he isn't the one who will actually be doing the logistics. So while it's "his" target ultimately, the implementation is kind of out of his hands a bit. 

And the people implementing it will work harder towards a large target, then just about meeting a small target 

1 minute ago, theesundayroast said:

Hoping for a bit of advice from you guys as my family are struggling to understand the guidence. A collegue my brother has worked closely with in the past couple of days (van drives and working on a building site) has today tested positive. He is of course now self isolating.

The question I've had is, if he stays confined to his room with very mininmal contact, are both myself and my mother allowed to leave the house for an evening walk (while there is no one around) for some exersise?

He currently has no symptoms and so not had a test. I gather that for this reason, legally we should be fine to.

Legally you're fine. Anything past that is up to you! Maybe look if you're brother can get a symtpom free test?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

that's not what I said.

I suggested that it wasn't his 'target' but a number he's been told by advisors is achievable, based on what the govt has been told by 3rd parties (vaccine suppliers, vaccination centres, etc).

It's an oddly specific number to be a Spaffer invented target. It would have at been to a round million if it was a number plucked by him out of the air.

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

This needs clamped down on. For a start, any adult who can work from home shouldn’t be allowed to dump their sprogs into what amounts to a state funded crèche at this point. It should be strictly key workers (excluding WFH key workers such as NHS bosses) and vulnerable kids who can’t afford laptops.

Even in the latter group the focus should be on laptop procurement to get them out of school ASAP. 

I think the issue is often more than "can't afford a laptop" for a lot of vulnerable kids

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Legally you're fine. Anything past that is up to you! Maybe look if you're brother can get a symtpom free test?

I think this might be the next step. I know this wouldn't enable him to go back to work but may lower the slight amount of guilt I may have for going for a walk in my sleepy farming village where no one is around!

Thanks for the confirmation!

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

that's not what I said.

I suggested that it wasn't his 'target' but a number he's been told by advisors is achievable, based on what the govt has been told by 3rd parties (vaccine suppliers, vaccination centres, etc).

It's an oddly specific number to be a Spaffer invented target. It would have at been to a round million if it was a number plucked by him out of the air.

The 13 million simply represents the total of the most vulnerable groups.

It's the 'date' that's been set plucked from the air, not the 'target'. 

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

But you said you don't have the expertise to know what the target should be.

No and those points aren't mutually exclusive.

I don't know what the target should be in absolute terms. Hence I gave a massive range and wouldn't have done at all here, had you not challenged me to.

But I do know generally that is it good practice to have some stretch in targets e.g. 10-20%.

But they shouldn't be unrealistic and as was commented on her they need to be the A (achievable) in SMART. 

Just now, xxialac said:

they shouldn't be unrealistic

but you have no idea if they are or not.

You don't know what the vaccine supply rates will be, and you don't know what the vaccination rates will be.

I'm merely pointing out that someone within govt will have those details (or at least, someone saying what they should be) and that info is exceedingly likely to have passed even detail-light Spaffer's ears.

37 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It is a horrendous idea.

EDIT: Although a nominal fee (say £20) for boosters beyond your second shot in 2022 and beyond might fly, £500 to get your initial vaccination isn't going to happen.

Yeah, I think private vaccines for things like yellow fever and rabies are about £50 each, and that's for diseases you're not going to catch in the UK.

£500 for a covid vaccine isn't going to happen, but you might need to pay for yearly boosters like with the flu jab.