When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

25 minutes ago, Quark said:

Any remotely sensible measures they take that might sway my opinion of them are absolutely swamped by their complete inability to convey clear, understandable and non-contradictory messaging.  Take Hancock on the radio, what an absolute clusterfuck.

Combine that with an inability to concede that anything they've done is less than perfect, trying to shift dates when lockdown was introduced and gradually shifting the blame onto others, and I remain comfortable in saying that they can go fuck themselves.

However that doesn't diminish that there is also a need (and massive gap) in personal responsibility.

100% this!

49 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

should also note that Trafford does not have much of an asian community...it is mostly white middle class.

I know I was quite surprised at the jump there tbh... be all the self entitled folk who think masks as useless and still want to do playdates whilst yakking at Waitrose... (not type casting at all honest :ph34r:)

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

For starters ... what’s Swindon doing in the north west ? :) 

probably mean Swinton, not the 1st time people get things wrong..... was it on this morning show this morning that they had west Yorks and Greater Manchester labelled the wrong way round on the map :huh:

Edited by shoptildrop

4 hours ago, DeanoL said:

It all depends on why you're social distancing. If it's just to follow the rules, you're more likely to do it in a pub because other people can judge you and you can be seen to be breaking the rules. But if you're doing it because you want to avoid putting yourself and other people at risk of catching it, then there's no reason to behave different in a pub or a home.

Aye of course, but that will catch some people. And physical spacing of tables in Pubs makes a difference too.

42 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

+880 cases today and +120 deaths. Definitely starting to increase 😔

The positive rate remains the same. 

154,034 tests were processed for today’s data. 

Last Friday, 134,293 tests were processed. 

Nearly 20,000 more tests processed have resulted in 110 more cases.

In fact that positive test rate this Friday (0.571%) is slightly down on last Fridays (0.573%)

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

Good luck stopping that. If the numbers are high enough GMP can stop nothing 

they might have caught it early enough and the whole area has some sort of protection order so they can legally disperse and arrest if needed... this was due to a car meet in Denton 2 weeks ago :( 

they wonder why our number are up

44 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

In fact that positive test rate this Friday (0.571%) is slightly down on last Fridays (0.573%)

Yes but more tests are processed because more people are showing symptoms? 

What you’re saying is you’re excusing an increase in cases due to an increase in tests. That’s like saying if we did 3 times the testing we would have 3 times more  cases.

Of course testing is going to be increased when the virus is spreading more widely as more people are displaying symptoms and thus there are more contacts traced and more tests carried out.

You’re arguing an increase in tests causes an increase in cases. I would argue it the other way around. An increase in cases causes an increase in tests.

Wider community spread > more cases and more contacts traced > more tests carried out.

So, whichever way you look at it, cases are increasing, they are at the highest levels they have been for a month now. ONS says daily cases has increased from 2800 to 4200 in the last week. We need to remain vigilant.

Edited by FestivalJamie

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

We'll just have to see of increase in cases means increase in people being hospitalised and dying in a few weeks...they didn't see that in Leicester.

Not necessarily though. It’s been said that the increase in cases europe-wide (by the WHO) is mainly in young people due to lack of social distancing, which means that hospitalisation figures are luckily less likely to rise and hopefully fewer deaths.

Edited by FestivalJamie

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

206,656 tests processed today, so the positive test rate at 0.0042 is actually the lowest it's been for 8 days.

We're also 5 deaths lower than equivalent Tues-Fri period last week.

Edited by parsonjack

There is targeted door to door testing in areas that are deemed to be high risk, that’s why there are increases in tests carried out and more asymptomatic cases found. 

Let’s put it this way. 

Imagine 1 street with 100 houses all with 4 occupants each, out of those 400 people there are 20 infected at any one time. 

Week one they test 20 houses and find 4 infections, all sounds pretty good 
Week two - they only test 10 houses as they feel the area is low risk and they find 2... brilliant things are getting better it’s halved in the last week. 
Week three -  the surrounding area is seeing a bit of a rise so they decide to test 40 houses on this street and find 8 infections, oh no it’s quadrupled in a week, what’s going on?! 
Week four - they decide that they had better test everybody in the street and they find the 20 infections. They shit the bed and put the street on lockdown. 

Completely unnecessary reaction, nothing had changed in the 4 weeks, only the perception had changed as the cases had risen but the ratio of tests:cases had stayed the same. 

• Upvote 5

24 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Yes but more tests are processed because more people are showing symptoms? 

What you’re saying is you’re excusing an increase in cases due to an increase in tests. That’s like saying if we did 3 times the testing we would have 3 times more  cases.

Of course testing is going to be increased when the virus is spreading more widely as more people are displaying symptoms and thus there are more contacts traced and more tests carried out.

You’re arguing an increase in tests causes an increase in cases. I would argue it the other way around. An increase in cases causes an increase in tests.

Wider community spread > more cases and more contacts traced > more tests carried out.

So, whichever way you look at it, cases are increasing, they are at the highest levels they have been for a month now. ONS says daily cases has increased from 2800 to 4200 in the last week. We need to remain vigilant.

Hypothetical question.....which of the following statistics is the most useful when gauging the scale of the outbreak?

There's been 1000 new cases identified today.

There's been 1000 new cases identified today out of 100,000,000 tests.

I exaggerate obviously but the point is there, the ratio matters.  Your point that the increase in cases is driving the increase in tests has some creedence but it's also undeniable fact that the ratio proves less than 1 in 240 of those tests results in a positive case, and as I said in previous reply, that's the lowest ratio for the past 8 days.

Whether any of this wrangling with figures and ratios actually gets us anywhere though is far less important than your final point.  Vigilance is key 👍

17 minutes ago, BobWillis said:

There is targeted door to door testing in areas that are deemed to be high risk, that’s why there are increases in tests carried out and more asymptomatic cases found. 

Let’s put it this way. 

Imagine 1 street with 100 houses all with 4 occupants each, out of those 400 people there are 20 infected at any one time. 

Week one they test 20 houses and find 4 infections, all sounds pretty good 
Week two - they only test 10 houses as they feel the area is low risk and they find 2... brilliant things are getting better it’s halved in the last week. 
Week three -  the surrounding area is seeing a bit of a rise so they decide to test 40 houses on this street and find 8 infections, oh no it’s quadrupled in a week, what’s going on?! 
Week four - they decide that they had better test everybody in the street and they find the 20 infections. They shit the bed and put the street on lockdown. 

Completely unnecessary reaction, nothing had changed in the 4 weeks, only the perception had changed as the cases had risen but the ratio of tests:cases had stayed the same. 

Bang on 👏

Oh, and welcome to EFestivals 🙂

Edited by parsonjack
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, gazzared said:

Yeah definitely... They'd moved the rowers and a few machines and weights to outside which was great but very weather dependent but at least I could row in the fresh air.... Apart from KFC pumping out zinger tower scent haha

OK, now I'm interested..

3 hours ago, Quark said:

Your excuse for not getting fit is finally properly relevant! :lol:

Behave, you.

2 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

Not necessarily though. It’s been said that the increase in cases europe-wide (by the WHO) is mainly in young people due to lack of social distancing, which means that hospitalisation figures are luckily less likely to rise and hopefully fewer deaths.

That's my take too that even with a rise of infections it won't reflect in deaths in the same way it has done before...

I do hope they have learned lessons on care homes and sorting other surgeries out to reduce further deaths here though, but I'm not 100% on this one unfortunately as Gov doesn't seem to learn :( 

Ok so apparently face masks don’t seem to be a “thing” where I live.

I live literally an hour out of London, but oh my god the attitude to masks is so different! When I was in London last weekend, shops and takeaways were 95% compliance, and lots of people wearing masks out on the street too.

So I just went out for an evening stroll in my local area tonight, went past tesco express petrol station, stopped to have a look at how we are doing here for masks, literally everyone going in didn’t bother to put a mask on. Literally no one had one on. What the hell? And there was no security member at the door reminding people like I’ve seen at bigger Tesco.

I then went past a takeaway food shop, neither staff or customers were wearing masks.

Surely not all these people are exempt? Or was face coverings only a thing of last weekend but not of this weekend!?

Its getting on my nerves now, I see the police wondering around my town doing f*** all , if you don’t have anything else to do, go and enforce some face masks and hand out some fines! Until we knuckle down and get strict on this people’s attitudes aren’t gonna change!!

In an interesting turn of events, the local Thai restaurant has now taken it upon themselves to mandate face masks at all times when not sat down at your table! I reckon they will be the first restaurant I visit... staff in PPE, hand sanitiser and screens between tables. Looks really good... might be tempted for a first meal out!

Edited by FestivalJamie

9 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Something to do with the venues getting signage ? So they don’t get confrontation at the entrances ? 

It also falls on the venues for no being proactive and thinking they should be ready for this eventuality. Staff the entrances to stop anyone without a mask and it will make a difference at least. The government thinks that no place of business is prepared for  and as everyone would agree, it shouldve been put into practice 3 months ago easily.  You wouldnt believe how fast every store here had signage and everything set up. And yeah, the most lenient grace period so far that i can recall is 72 hours. Most local governments gave 24 hour notice and that was that.