When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Toilet Duck said:

No, if you were at home, they’d admit you (or at least they’d have a look at you in A&E). If you were in a care home though, you can probably get the same care there. 

Thanks :) I’m a little paranoid with living on my own ... and generally :)  !! 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Thanks :) I’m a little paranoid with living on my own ... and generally :)  !! 

I share some of those concerns too as I live on my own. Especially say if I developed breathing problems it'd be pretty scary. I'd phone my Mum lol.

11 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Unfortunately, depending on the patient, hospital admission may not alter their care. Some have DNRs, some are entirely unsuitable for mechanical ventilation, others can receive oxygen where they are, so moving them only creates additional risk for the patient but has no impact on how they would be treated. Discharging patients back to care homes without testing them was a monumental f*ck up, but in terms of patient management, there’s probably nothing untoward going on with patients being cared for where they currently are.

I agree with what you say but my point wasn’t actually about why aren’t they being cared for in hospitals as such, it was more about questioning whether such high numbers were really still dying in care homes every week or if PHE are being allowed to carry on adding the deaths of anybody that has ever tested positive to the daily figures. 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I share some of those concerns too as I live on my own. Especially say if I developed breathing problems it'd be pretty scary. I'd phone my Mum lol.

Difficulty is that there is nothing they could do apart from worry ... and that’s my worry ... bloody mad times 

15 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The chair of SAGE was speaking today and said that it's younger people that are gaining picking up the virus now so we shouldn't see hospital admissions rise like we did earlier on in the pandemic. So that probably isn't the best gauge just yet, the main issue being as this chap said is that the risk of the virus breaking out into the wider population.

This seems to be reported quite a lot recently as if it’s something new, I’ve seen it reported in America, Spain, Italy, and now here.  
Surely the virus was always spreading between younger people but the difference now is that testing has expanded and younger people are being tested more frequently, whereas back at the peak of the virus it was mainly those being admitted to hospital that got tested and those were more likely to be older. 

4 minutes ago, BobWillis said:

I agree with what you say but my point wasn’t actually about why aren’t they being cared for in hospitals as such, it was more about questioning whether such high numbers were really still dying in care homes every week or if PHE are being allowed to carry on adding the deaths of anybody that has ever tested positive to the daily figures. 

Honestly, how deaths are being counted is not entirely accurate. There are lots of historical deaths that get added from time to time. We really don’t know enough about the biology to categorically rule out something Covid-related if someone tests positive but has a range of underlying conditions, so at the moment, they get counted. Whether that’s right or wrong, I can’t say for sure.

1 minute ago, Toilet Duck said:

Honestly, how deaths are being counted is not entirely accurate. There are lots of historical deaths that get added from time to time. We really don’t know enough about the biology to categorically rule out something Covid-related if someone tests positive but has a range of underlying conditions, so at the moment, they get counted. Whether that’s right or wrong, I can’t say for sure.

I guess it’s a no win situation for them. Whichever direction they went in they would either be accused of trying to cover up deaths or be accused of trying to spread fear by over reporting. 

4 minutes ago, BobWillis said:

This seems to be reported quite a lot recently as if it’s something new, I’ve seen it reported in America, Spain, Italy, and now here.  
Surely the virus was always spreading between younger people but the difference now is that testing has expanded and younger people are being tested more frequently, whereas back at the peak of the virus it was mainly those being admitted to hospital that got tested and those were more likely to be older. 

Mobility of younger people might be a little more prevalent now whilst older people may have been following advice for the last few months ... the over 70s for example might have been out and about less so in effect less susceptible 

33 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

So if I were to become ill living on my own and develop breathing issues ... would they think that I could get adequate care at home ? Or would they admit me ? Because I’m unable to help myself ? I can’t work out how bad I’d need to be to get admitted to hospital 

Same thing is happening here, its not surprising at all. Theres even hospitals who wont even test you if you came into an emergency room  with symptons. Theyll tell you to fuck off, sad.

1 minute ago, Waterdeep said:

Looks like antibody dependent enhancement, one of the risks of vaccines, isn't happening to the monkeys. At least not with the strain they're being tested with.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibody-dependent_enhancement

ok...still don't really understand.

I did read/hear somewhere that they were thinking immunity using antibodies doesn't last with covid19, same as with other coronaviruses, but all hope was on the T-Cell thing.

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

what's that in English?

In English...basically, with some viruses, the antibodies we make to them stop them from infecting the cells they normally infect...but, other cells take up the antibodies and they act a bit like a Trojan horse for the virus. There have been some reports of this happening with SARS and MERS, but nobody knew for sure it it would happen with this virus (it’s one hypothesis why some people get very sick...I don’t think the evidence for it is a strong as other things though)...anyway, it’s been one of the things the folk making the vaccines have been looking out for...I haven’t read the paper linked, but from the summary sentence it seems that if vaccinated animals are deliberately infected, they don’t display this phenomenon, suggesting it should not be a problem when we vaccinate humans!

edit: sorry, I should say that the antibodies stick to the virus, that’s how they can bring it in with them when they get taken up into cells themselves.  

Edited by Toilet Duck

6 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Same thing is happening here, its not surprising at all. Theres even hospitals who wont even test you if you came into an emergency room  with symptons. Theyll tell you to fuck off, sad.

There's a good reason not to come into an emergency room with symptoms to be fair. That's not allowed here. I was in A & E for something else and a woman came in with a fever. They didn't turn her away as in send her home, but they very quickly isolated her from the other patients. Unless you have trouble breathing you shouldn't really be going to hospital.

38 minutes ago, BobWillis said:

I guess it’s a no win situation for them. Whichever direction they went in they would either be accused of trying to cover up deaths or be accused of trying to spread fear by over reporting. 

I doubt there is deliberate over reporting - the government wants this to go away, not control the population with fear