When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Doesn’t bode well for uk schools reopening in September.

It doesn't. I've seen a lot of discourse today about a trade off between schools or pubs, based on comments made by Chris Whitty. I'm not sure it's as black and white as that but if it was then I think we would need to have schools open and certain other things close again. But for that we would need the furlough scheme to be extended for the sector that would be closed again. 

Myself and my housemate have been invited to join an ONS study where someone will come round to give us a Covid test (nose & throat swab) to see what the rates of infection are like. They'll then come back four weeks in a row to do it again. Following that we can opt in for them to come back once a month for twelve months to continue the data collection.

Now obviously we were both like "This sounds great! We can help out and we can get regular tests".

We got to the end of the letter and it goes on to say that they'll give each of us a £50 voucher for the first visit, and a £25 voucher for each subsequent visit! 

16 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

Myself and my housemate have been invited to join an ONS study where someone will come round to give us a Covid test (nose & throat swab) to see what the rates of infection are like. They'll then come back four weeks in a row to do it again. Following that we can opt in for them to come back once a month for twelve months to continue the data collection.

Now obviously we were both like "This sounds great! We can help out and we can get regular tests".

We got to the end of the letter and it goes on to say that they'll give each of us a £50 voucher for the first visit, and a £25 voucher for each subsequent visit! 

Whats the catch?

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Whats the catch?

Haha, yeah apart from the swabs (as Morph mentions) I can't seem to find one. Looks like they do a variety of vouchers as well (Amazon, Currys, etc.) so not getting shafted there - I was picturing Staples vouchers or something!

1 minute ago, zeppelin said:

Haha, yeah apart from the swabs (as Morph mentions) I can't seem to find one. Looks like they do a variety of vouchers as well (Amazon, Currys, etc.) so not getting shafted there - I was picturing Staples vouchers or something!

Ha yeah the swabs aren't ideal. I'd sign up to that if I was asked.

13 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

No, if you were at home, they’d admit you (or at least they’d have a look at you in A&E).

that certainly wasn't the case earlier in the pandemic. A person had to be really bad to have the ambulance crew take them to hospital.

It's part of the reason the death rate in hospital was so high in England.

11 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

Figures today:

UK: +771, population 67,916,194

Belgium: +745 11,593,914

So the infection rate is 6x higher in Belgium than in the UK, I am left here simply questioning why they aren't on the quarantine list already!?

Possibly because Brits in Belgium aren't having the same risky inter-personal contacts as Brits in Spain are?

I read yesterday that they'd been 10 people return from their Spanish holiday in the 3rd week of July with covid, and that was part of what drove the quarantine rules change.

I'm guessing that's from indoor nightclubs.

11 hours ago, morph100 said:

The swabs are very uncomfortable 

They really aren’t at all. Had an operation a few weeks ago and had to be tested before that. It just tickles ever so slightly. When I got the call asking if I was ok to have it, I was worried about COVID more than the op. They had a full quarantined area though, annexed from the main hospital. They did turf me out quicker than perhaps I should have been though. 

43 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Indoor night clubs seem one of the worst places for virus spread. Inside areas, not ventilated and very drunk people. An ideal cocktail you could say. 

Yeah, singing and shouting at each other....but at same time, full of young people...herd immunity and all that. Just lock the old people away.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Possibly because Brits in Belgium aren't having the same risky inter-personal contacts as Brits in Spain are?

I read yesterday that they'd been 10 people return from their Spanish holiday in the 3rd week of July with covid, and that was part of what drove the quarantine rules change.

I'm guessing that's from indoor nightclubs.

Belgium’s outbreak isn’t in touristy areas, whereas some of Spain’s is. 

10 minutes ago, Sack truck said:

They really aren’t at all. Had an operation a few weeks ago and had to be tested before that. It just tickles ever so slightly. When I got the call asking if I was ok to have it, I was worried about COVID more than the op. They had a full quarantined area though, annexed from the main hospital. They did turf me out quicker than perhaps I should have been though. 

Like most things, it varies from person to person. I gagged a lot from the throat swab and found the nasal one really uncomfortable, almost painful, and then had a massive sneezing fit

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, singing and shouting at each other....but at same time, full of young people...herd immunity and all that. Just lock the old people away.

Including the vulnerable ... I’m in mixed thoughts on that as it would be me ... and we have no idea that herd immunity exists ... didn’t someone die recently after getting reinfected ? ! 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Including the vulnerable ... I’m in mixed thoughts on that as it would be me ... and we have no idea that herd immunity exists ... didn’t someone die recently after getting reinfected ? ! 

yeah,,,I was kind of kidding. But looks like young people are out there spreading it anyway...inevitable really.

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah,,,I was kind of kidding. But looks like young people are out there spreading it anyway...inevitable really.

Problem is ... is that kind of part of a blame game ... beaches marches people celebrating eid ? Young , obese , Europeans travelling , but not the U.K. government ?