When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

18 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

So that Beijing outbreak was from imported salmon apparently? So they were free of that cases in that area and it was brought in via food? Or have I got that wrong? Didn't think it would live that long outside a live host.

Honestly, I’m not sure I entirely buy the narrative that all new cases are imported (either people or food). How long it survives on surfaces (including food) is a matter of debate. Some studies have shown it to be remarkably resilient, but these are always under laboratory conditions and not in real world settings. My guess is someone at the market was infected and infected others...they could have been working with the chopping boards that tested positive...for me, the important finding here was how many asymptomatic cases there were in a single outbreak (and the fact that they identified them!)...

So we have caved in and let both sets of our parents hold / hug our daughter.

We have been struggling with the lack of that throughout this and to see these protests (now riots seemingly) with very little if any social distancing it was the straw which broke the camels back so to speak.

Do I feel guilty? Not one bit strangely enough.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Honestly, I’m not sure I entirely buy the narrative that all new cases are imported (either people or food). How long it survives on surfaces (including food) is a matter of debate. Some studies have shown it to be remarkably resilient, but these are always under laboratory conditions and not in real world settings. My guess is someone at the market was infected and infected others...they could have been working with the chopping boards that tested positive...for me, the important finding here was how many asymptomatic cases there were in a single outbreak (and the fact that they identified them!)...

Yeah it's a bit worrying as to what would happen if they weren't tracing them effectively. 

9 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

So we have caved in and let both sets of our parents hold / hug our daughter.

We have been struggling with the lack of that throughout this and to see these protests (now riots seemingly) with very little if any social distancing it was the straw which broke the camels back so to speak.

Do I feel guilty? Not one bit strangely enough.

Joey, the government love all the protests and lack of distancing. It's still all about herd immunity. Would not surprise me if the Cummings thing was a deliberate move to get the country not really giving a shit about distancing, ignoring the app. Explains why he hasn't been sacked. Sent on a job.

They need cases. When the next spike comes (in a few weeks) it'll be conveniently blamed on the lack of respect for the rules designed to protect.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Superscally said:

They need cases. When the next spike comes (in a few weeks) it'll be conveniently blamed on the lack of respect for the rules designed to protect.

As the country collapses economically all the Tory backers will be rubbing their hands with glee with the vast amount of companies and assets going cheap. 

The disaster capitalists were already happy with us heading for a no deal brexit, coronavirus is like a dream come true for them. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Joey, the government love all the protests and lack of distancing. It's still all about herd immunity. Would not surprise me if the Cummings thing was a deliberate move to get the country not really giving a shit about distancing, ignoring the app. Explains why he hasn't been sacked. Sent on a job.

On the other hand, people have been saying this since VE Day, then when people went back to work and pictures circulated of packed public transport, then when everyone was packed into beaches... now it’s the protests. There isn’t a precedent for a spike anywhere yet, just localised outbreaks (like in China now) There is always a ‘spike’ a couple of weeks away, but it never seems to come, so maybe it won’t?

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

As the country collapses economically all the Tory backers will be rubbing their hands with glee with the vast amount of companies and assets going cheap. 

The disaster capitalists were already happy with us heading for a no deal brexit, coronavirus is like a dream come true for them. 

When lockdown first happened, after a couple of weeks of everything being quiet a company who's mailing list I was on sent an email out saying they had prospective buyers looking to buy companies in the industry I work in ... for a "realistic" price of course.

Didn't take long for the sharks to be out. 

2 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

The important finding would be whether it was spread by Asymptomatic carriers or a Symptomatic Super Spreader (or two). But I don’t know if there’s any way of being able to tell. 

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

On the other hand, people have been saying this since VE Day, then when people went back to work and pictures circulated of packed public transport, then when everyone was packed into beaches... now it’s the protests. There isn’t a precedent for a spike anywhere yet, just localised outbreaks (like in China now) There is always a ‘spike’ a couple of weeks away, but it never seems to come, so maybe it won’t?

Maybe! Guess that would be nice, would likely be a key thing in getting back to normal if it's shown that it doesn't really affect things...

31 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Maybe! Guess that would be nice, would likely be a key thing in getting back to normal if it's shown that it doesn't really affect things...

The outdoors does appear to be significantly safer than indoors.  We'll see how this new relaxation goes. I won't be going to any large shopping centres for a while.