When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Where did you hear it’s likely April 2021 will be cancelled?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.vulture.com/amp/2020/06/coachella-2020-cancelled-due-to-coronavirus-layoffs.html

dunno why it’s come up google.co.uk/

Goldenvoice officials are currently figuring out whether or not the festival will return in a smaller capacity in April 2021 or come back at its normal 125,000-person-per-day capacity in October of 2021. With 40 percent of ticket-buyers requesting refunds, Goldenvoice thinks an April festival at 60 percent capacity could happen, but they’re waiting to see how the pandemic plays out. 

Edited by Matt42

51 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

I am a nurse in London they have been rolling them out for staff the last couple of weeks, not sure when they will be more widely available but hopefully not to long. 

Its a blood test, i got my result a few days later via email.

I would be interested in having a test. I definitely couldn't rule out having had it with some strange Covid-19 like symptoms at the beginning of March. Hopefully one day they can roll the out wider. 

And thanks for the good work! 

26 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

It’s exactly why a good, proximity-based app could augment human contact tracing, but rolling it out hasn’t really worked properly and, again, public confidence in it is diminished. Work to do to explain the strategy and get people on board.

The problem here is that not many of the public have faith in an app which is being developed by a team headed by Dido Harding and has Cummings fingerprints all over it. Especially as the publicly made code isn’t the version being used. 

I’m all for an app that helps track people but those are the last two people I’d trust with my personal data and access to a device I use. 

Article from sky news about how scientists and researchers say compulsory masks in public will stop a second wave of coronavirus in the UK for 18 months.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/coronavirus-making-face-masks-compulsory-in-public-would-stop-second-wave-says-study-12003836

Really hope the ministers make action and they become compulsory in all public spaces. Would even support the distance being reduced to 1m if masks become compulsory, as I genuinely believe masks are the most effective solution to lower transmission rates and stop the spread (see germany etc).

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

The problem here is that not many of the public have faith in an app which is being developed by a team headed by Dido Harding and has Cummings fingerprints all over it. Especially as the publicly made code isn’t the version being used. 

I’m all for an app that helps track people but those are the last two people I’d trust with my personal data and access to a device I use. 

I know, they just couldn't help themselves could they! The app that Apple/Google developed would have been just fine (and it works with the lock screen on). You get a test, if its positive, you get a pin, enter it into the app and then any phone that was within 2m of you for 15+ minutes gets a notification saying you have had a close contact (with advice on what to do). All information only stored on the phones themselves, no central database, deleted after 21 days and most people would probably be ok with it. The temptation to collect extremely valuable data  just seemed too much and this simpler solution seems to have been rejected (for the moment). 

15 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

I know, they just couldn't help themselves could they! The app that Apple/Google developed would have been just fine (and it works with the lock screen on). You get a test, if its positive, you get a pin, enter it into the app and then any phone that was within 2m of you for 15+ minutes gets a notification saying you have had a close contact (with advice on what to do). All information only stored on the phones themselves, no central database, deleted after 21 days and most people would probably be ok with it. The temptation to collect extremely valuable data  just seemed too much and this simpler solution seems to have been rejected (for the moment). 

I’d definitely use the Apple version over the U.K. Govs one. 

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

sounds like they are considering switching the app ....why on earth do we always think we can do better ?!!!

Because the government want to mine as much out of the people of the UK as possible!

Anyway happy 10,000th post in this thread!

14 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Because the government want to mine as much out of the people of the UK as possible!

Anyway happy 10,000th post in this thread!

oops ... apologies Ill go for a lie down. think I might have misunderstood .... thought @squirrelarmy  meant I had posted 10,000 times and was commenting on that !! 

Edited by crazyfool1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8410703/Coronavirus-seasonal-suggest-vibrant-maps-help-predict-virus-spread.html

Looks like the virus may well be seasonal as expected, so we should be ok for the rest of the summer at least, could well mean another surge in the autumn though unless we put in measures before then to stamp out any new outbreaks.

Even when shops open its not a pleasant browsing experience, our high street is packed but the actual shops are empty - people are queuing to get in, and once in you don't browse, its in and out , get what you want /need and exit

We move the level 2 from midnight tonight - restaurants indoors can open, campsites (for anyone totally self sufficient eg vans etc) , gyms (but no changing rooms and no exertion above a level 5 - which apparently means you must be able to hold a conversation or sing a song without getting breathless) - I reckon I can manage Billy Eilish in the warm up but Whitney no way - and swimming pools can open but not changing rooms - so you have to treat it like going to the beach, arrive in costume and leave in wet costume -!!! - we still can't book a table outside a restaurant with anyone outside of household but can have a BBQ with up t 20 people (distanced)

There is talk of us moving to level 1 end of June which means 1 mtre distancing and pubs can open

Guernsey are moving to no distancing , everything open and keep borders closed apart from essential travel where there are strict rules around quarantine when returning and spot checks

Just now, Ryan1984 said:

Not much in the briefing today. Mainly a charm offensive about the success of the app (civic duty was mentioned again) and an awkward moment when Hancock listed his BAME friends in response to a question about Priti Patel’s letter.

It’s not the app they were touting its the scheme in general.