When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

10 minutes ago, jparx said:

Tory MP on the news still not letting this go. We can only move on when he goes, is the jist.

Seems like some Tories have been wanting to get rid of Cummings influence for a while and now they finally have their chance. 

28 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Seems like some Tories have been wanting to get rid of Cummings influence for a while and now they finally have their chance. 

I'm sure this is the quandry a lot of them are in...they don't like Cummings (or Johnson) much, but know that it was mostly down to Cummings/Johnson that they ended up beating parliament, got the brexit thing resolved and won a big majority in the general election.

Clever idea in this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/15/coronavirus-in-europe-states-take-small-steps-towards-normality

Close off non pedestrianised town centres and roads (maybe only on weekends) so that Bars and Restaurants can spread out onto the streets and operate safely.

Would be great for the environment and enable a lot of bars and restaurants to operate safely. Would solve some issues for a lot of the pubs in London as well 

Just now, rivalschools.price said:

Why had this turned into the Dominic Cummings thread instead of the ‘when will this shit end?’ thread?

I know they are loosely connected but I don’t think whether he was right or wrong or gets sacked or not is going to change when the Coronavirus will end.

I get what you mean, but I think this thread has unofficially become known as the ‘anything at all coronavirus related’ thread. 

1 minute ago, rivalschools.price said:

Why had this turned into the Dominic Cummings thread instead of the ‘when will this shit end?’ thread?

I know they are loosely connected but I don’t think whether he was right or wrong or gets sacked or not is going to change when the Coronavirus will end.

I know what you're saying, but I don't think they're entirely unrelated.  He's given everyone who was wavering a perfect excuse to ignore the lockdown.

2 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

This thread is about coronavirus lockdown, and Cummings broke lockdown rules. Think it is actually pretty relevant.

Plus, it's a lot more fun than discussing schools reopening.

Just now, steviewevie said:

This thread is about coronavirus lockdown, and Cummings broke lockdown rules. Think it is actually pretty relevant.

Plus, it's a lot more fun than discussing schools reopening.

plus...they really are going to need people to follow the rules if they're ever going to get this test and contact tracing thing to work, individuals and families are going to be told to self isolate whilst everyone else is out there partying hard.

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Great summary:

I have a painting by this guy from before he became a semi-famous political commentator on Twitter. We became Twitter friends when it was relatively new and he lives near me and he did one for me and one for my husband's cousin. I keep joking that he needs to keep his profile up in case I need to sell that painting for food in the future. 

This whole thing is really playing on my mind as well. Last night I dreamt that Boris Johnson blamed me for it all saying he had asked Carrie to e-mail me so I could tell everyone why Dominic had to go to Durham at the time but I didn't see it because it ended up in my spam folder and everyone in the media started to blame me and I was really stressed out and convinced I was being set up and that the e-mail had been planted after the fact. 

30 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Because it’s related to the coronavirus and is an important issue. Why do you feel the need to come into a thread you’ve had no involvement in and question the discussion?

Ive actually found this thread to be a good place to discuss these matters with people I enjoy discussing them with as well. If you don’t like it then I suggest you don’t come in here. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

I guess that's what happens when you open up when cases are down to a really low level. I'd be surprised if our real (not just tested) numbers are as low as Germany's, plus they get fined for not wearing a face covering which I'd be amazed if we do. Our history of handling this so far unfortunately doesn't fill me with confidence. We're opening up like Europe at a similar time, likely so we don't feel "beaten" despite not having the appropriate measures in place. 

26 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

plus...they really are going to need people to follow the rules if they're ever going to get this test and contact tracing thing to work, individuals and families are going to be told to self isolate whilst everyone else is out there partying hard.

Along similar lines to the above, they're going to ask not tell unfortunately. If we didn't enforce or check on it before I doubt we will now. If their mates are out partying many will claim they feel fine and go out also.

Edited by efcfanwirral

25 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I know what you're saying, but I don't think they're entirely unrelated.  He's given everyone who was wavering a perfect excuse to ignore the lockdown.

Yep. This is my biggest annoyance. Already enough covidiots about 'round our way and this gives them a "fuck off copper"  level excuse to continue to breach the guidelines.

27 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

his whole thing is really playing on my mind as well. Last night I dreamt that Boris Johnson blamed me for it all saying he had asked Carrie to e-mail me so I could tell everyone why Dominic had to go to Durham at the time but I didn't see it because it ended up in my spam folder and everyone in the media started to blame me and I was really stressed out and convinced I was being set up and that the e-mail had been planted after the fact. 

that is quite a dream.

Mine are just twisted in a shallow way that I'd rather not discuss.

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I guess that's what happens when you open up when cases are down to a really low level. I'd be surprised if our real (not just tested) numbers are as low as Germany's, plus they get fined for not wearing a face covering which I'd be amazed if we do. Our history of handling this so far unfortunately doesn't fill me with confidence. We're opening up like Europe at a similar time, likely so we don't feel "beaten" despite not having the appropriate measures in place. 

Along similar lines to the above, they're going to ask not tell unfortunately. If we didn't enforce or check on it before I doubt we will now. If their mates are out partying many will claim they feel fine and go out also.

We’re now testing a cross section of the public to get the real infection rate. It’s not like before when the tests just reflected who had turned up to hospital severely ill and thus the real figure was correspondingly higher.

I think the most recent data based on that random testing was 0.25% of the population were infected over the last full week that covered. So factually our infection rate is low, could it be lower still? Of course.

I agree regarding concerns about our ability to track and trace, I have no confidence in that. I would disagree were opening up at the same time as Europe though. We’re still some way behind them relative to the peak of our infections.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

that is quite a dream.

Mine are just twisted in a shallow way that I'd rather not discuss.

It's weird I rarely remember dreams normally but during lockdown I do seem to be remembering more. I suspect work stress and fury at the whole political situation merged in my dream. I'm happy you have chosen not to share yours!! :D 

Looks like another tit making a mess of the current crisis is seeing approval ratings drop. CNNs collection of polls has Biden up across the board, and in some polls by quite a margin

https://edition.cnn.com/election/2020/presidential-polls

I know we've been duped by polls before, but the utter nightmare 4 years might be coming to an end in a few months.