When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Looks like another tit making a mess of the current crisis is seeing approval ratings drop. CNNs collection of polls has Biden up across the board, and in some polls by quite a margin

https://edition.cnn.com/election/2020/presidential-polls

I know we've been duped by polls before, but the utter nightmare 4 years might be coming to an end in a few months.

With the number of unemployed over there now relying on food parcels it’s not really a surprise  ... we aren’t going to have a great time of it but those poor people over there 

One thing I don't understand about the whole testing thing. Got an email from my council yesterday saying that there is now a testing unit in the borough for anyone who has symptoms. But if you have symptoms aren't you supposed to isolate? Fair enough if you can drive straight there and back, but this is London zone 2 where far from everyone has a car. Surely the advice can't mean to get public transport to a testing site if symptomatic?

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

One thing I don't understand about the whole testing thing. Got an email from my council yesterday saying that there is now a testing unit in the borough for anyone who has symptoms. But if you have symptoms aren't you supposed to isolate? Fair enough if you can drive straight there and back, but this is London zone 2 where far from everyone has a car. Surely the advice can't mean to get public transport to a testing site if symptomatic?

I believe you can also request one is posted to you as well? But not 100% on that.

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

With the number of unemployed over there now relying on food parcels it’s not really a surprise  ... we aren’t going to have a great time of it but those poor people over there 

Aye, I feel incredibly sorry for so many people in that country. Hopefully if one good thing comes from this, it's that a large number of Americans who voted for Trump and the Republicans and are now living off food parcels finally realise that those bastards do not have their best interests at heart. Hopefully they've woken up to the lies that the Republicans have been feeding them.

Just now, jparx said:

Aye, I feel incredibly sorry for so many people in that country. Hopefully if one good thing comes from this, it's that a large number of Americans who voted for Trump and the Republicans and are now living off food parcels finally realise that those bastards do not have their best interests at heart. Hopefully they've woken up to the lies that the Republicans have been feeding them.

Yep there will definately be good things that emerge from this ... it’s getting through the chaos that remains ... there is talk of people remaining locked in houses and being afraid to go out ... not much evidence of that in supermarkets at the moment ... social distancing seems like yesterday’s news ... and that’s how I fear it will be in other shops after a very short period of time 

13 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I had a dream a week ago that I was having KFC with Keir Starmer. 

I'd have woken up happier and perhaps feeling full and less prone to snacking if I'd had that dream. Even today I have found myself wondering how they managed to fit me up :D 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yep there will definately be good things that emerge from this ... it’s getting through the chaos that remains ... there is talk of people remaining locked in houses and being afraid to go out ... not much evidence of that in supermarkets at the moment ... social distancing seems like yesterday’s news ... and that’s how I fear it will be in other shops after a very short period of time 

Completely agree on the social distancing. No one seems to be giving a shit any more as far as I can see.

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Completely agree on the social distancing. No one seems to be giving a shit any more as far as I can see.

Apart from me and you :) ... I’ve just had my first nervy walk through my town centre ... Was ok ... back to work in a few weeks so I’ve trialed it to help me try and adjust ... it’s going to be me making calls on how to avoid situations where it’s busy ... 

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yeah, I've noticed the same in the supermarkets. And unfortunately it's usually the elderly that are not following the rules with social distancing or masks, which to me just seems insane. The past 3 trips I've made, the only people wearing masks were those under 40 (obviously guessing at peoples age there a bit).

I can't even begin to imagine how social distancing will work in Nottingham. Lots of small, narrow streets mixed with crowded shopping centres. And I really don't think people will stay away - on the 15th I completely expect it to be rammed. The behaviour of people around here certainly doesn't seem to have been impacted by this, and there's no fear of going back outside. The Range, for example, has had enormous queues outside for months now.

29 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

We’re now testing a cross section of the public to get the real infection rate. It’s not like before when the tests just reflected who had turned up to hospital severely ill and thus the real figure was correspondingly higher.

I think the most recent data based on that random testing was 0.25% of the population were infected over the last full week that covered. So factually our infection rate is low, could it be lower still? Of course.

I agree regarding concerns about our ability to track and trace, I have no confidence in that. I would disagree were opening up at the same time as Europe though. We’re still some way behind them relative to the peak of our infections.

Ah think we're saying the same thing though mine wasnt clear! I meant literally at the same calendar time. Due to previous mess ups I don't think we should be doing anything til at least July, but I guess we had one shot at lockdown and messed it up. We now can't afford to keep it going any longer and have to take the risk is the idea I guess 

10 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I fear many will be impacted potentially for life by this and it will affect their behaviour on an ongoing bases. Many will lock themselves m their homes sadly.

But on the other hand social distancing measures are not a reflection of everyone’s perception of the risk. People in the main go along with them because they understand why they are important and what they are trying to achieve. It doesn’t mean that everyone will personally worry about doing them all the time, or certainly at the point they aren’t asked to anymore. 

8 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Ah think we're saying the same thing though mine wasnt clear! I meant literally at the same calendar time. Due to previous mess ups I don't think we should be doing anything til at least July, but I guess we had one shot at lockdown and messed it up. We now can't afford to keep it going any longer and have to take the risk is the idea I guess 

It really does look that way. Given that our deaths by capita for the last week is slightly ahead of Sweden who didn't lock down at all, it does seem to have been a pretty big failure.  

Having said that, I don't actually think the lockdown was exactly a failure - it's just the absolute, complete fuckup around care homes that has affected the overall figures to such an extent that it appears measures in the general population were ineffective. 

The lack of PPE was bad, the late lockdown was bad (including allowing the football and Cheltenham to go ahead) was bad.  But the sending all the positive cases out of hospital into the care homes was utterly disastrous and unforgivable. I hope that when the dust settles, the terrible handling of care homes is the thing that really sticks to this government.

Having said that, I'm not sure what the population breakdown in Sweden actually is, so I may be off base in why our numbers are so similar.  But the way the UK have handled care homes is a disgrace. 

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I fear many will be impacted potentially for life by this and it will affect their behaviour on an ongoing bases. Many will lock themselves m their homes sadly.

But on the other hand social distancing measures are not a reflection of everyone’s perception of the risk. People in the main go along with them because they understand why they are important and what they are trying to achieve. It doesn’t mean that everyone will personally worry about doing them all the time, or certainly at the point they aren’t asked to anymore. 

Not so sure ... some will be understandably nervy I’ve no doubt as I am  but not sure the numbers that shut themselves away never to be seen again will be huge ... it seems to me people forget the messages as life goes on and more and more returns to (normality ? ) and the virus seems to be apparently less scary because of lower numbers for a while 

12 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

@Toilet Duck what happened to SARS in the end, did it just disappear or is it still out there somewhere?

From what I understand SARS was easier to contain as it’s transmission rate was not as high. It barely made it out of Asia.

Edited by Matt42

32 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I hope that when the dust settles, the terrible handling of care homes is the thing that really sticks to this government.

I'd hoped that the terrible handling of Universal Credit and PIP payments would stick it to this government, but people still voted for these incompetent complacent murdering bastards. 

33 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It really does look that way. Given that our deaths by capita for the last week is slightly ahead of Sweden who didn't lock down at all, it does seem to have been a pretty big failure.  

Having said that, I don't actually think the lockdown was exactly a failure - it's just the absolute, complete fuckup around care homes that has affected the overall figures to such an extent that it appears measures in the general population were ineffective. 

The lack of PPE was bad, the late lockdown was bad (including allowing the football and Cheltenham to go ahead) was bad.  But the sending all the positive cases out of hospital into the care homes was utterly disastrous and unforgivable. I hope that when the dust settles, the terrible handling of care homes is the thing that really sticks to this government.

Having said that, I'm not sure what the population breakdown in Sweden actually is, so I may be off base in why our numbers are so similar.  But the way the UK have handled care homes is a disgrace. 

This, I now think we could have avoided lockdown altogether if the care homes were properly isolated and the vunerable in the community had been shielded, locking down the entire nation of healthy people instead of concentrating on those most at risk now seems idiotic. The most shocking thing to me is the number of deaths IN care homes, by that I mean if someone in a care home gets seriously ill don't the staff ring for an ambulance? don't they get taken to hospital and given life saving treatment? It would appear not, they are just left to die in a corner, this is the real scandal here, there seems to have been a policy of not accepting the very old into hospital and of shipping those from hospital into care homes to die.

1 minute ago, gizmoman said:

This, I now think we could have avoided lockdown altogether if the care homes were properly isolated and the vunerable in the community had been shielded, locking down the entire nation of healthy people instead of concentrating on those most at risk now seems idiotic. The most shocking thing to me is the number of deaths IN care homes, by that I mean if someone in a care home gets seriously ill don't the staff ring for an ambulance? don't they get taken to hospital and given life saving treatment? It would appear not, they are just left to die in a corner, this is the real scandal here, there seems to have been a policy of not accepting the very old into hospital and of shipping those from hospital into care homes to die.

The bigger problem was that they did go to hospital, got to the point where they weren't going to die, but were still infectious - and then discharged them back to the care home to infect everyone else.

I don't think we should have avoided lockdown though.  Sweden did and they're as bad as us, which is very bad indeed.