Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

11 minutes ago, Homer said:

i'm going to pick up a cheap Orbital ticket for tonight in London. There are a lot of people complaining on the Facebook page that it should be cancelled. Is it irresponsible to attend, as is being suggested? By the sound of it, there will be about five other people there, and it didn't feel wrong when I went out and attended a gig in a pub last night (about 30 people there).

8 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

If you yourself are not in a risk group, or interact with large groups of people/other risk groups then why not?

Was meant to go to a gig tonight in a theatre, 1500 people. I'm in a risk group, as is my step dad and I work in a public gallery. So unfortunately I wont be going because I can't afford to get it. 

Yeah I can contemplate that - go if you think you'll be OK, but if you're in a high risk group or know people who are, its most probably not worth the risk.

I'm not really sure what to do in all fairness. I have tickets to go to see Frank Turner tonight in a 2,000 capacity theatre but I'm not sure I should be going.

1 minute ago, Lycra said:

It's not hand sanitiser that will determine whether Glasto will go ahead, it's the availability of public services, viz: NHS, doctors, nurses, police etc

It's a pretty basic choice. Would someone's time be better used supervising me getting pissed for the best part of the week and watching the Happy Mondays, or keeping someone alive? 

2 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Yeah I can contemplate that - go if you think you'll be OK, but if you're in a high risk group or know people who are, its most probably not worth the risk.

I'm not really sure what to do in all fairness. I have tickets to go to see Frank Turner tonight in a 2,000 capacity theatre but I'm not sure I should be going.

I'm 43 and I live alone with my wife who is 36 ('cashback'). We both went to the gym this morning. I reckon we'll both rise this one out luckily.

47 minutes ago, yehbutnobut said:

Just to lighten the mood a little (if possible) check this hero in Italy out:

There’s possibly people living around there who have just lost a loved one and they probably don’t want to be listening to that, highly selfish just to get a bit of Twitter fame. 

1 minute ago, lukethekid said:

There’s possibly people living around there who have just lost a loved one and they probably don’t want to be listening to that, highly selfish just to get a bit of Twitter fame. 

Yes possibly, although if they have just lost a loved one it will likely have been from something other than coronavirus. There is about a 0.02% chance one of the their loved ones has died from it though, so you might be right.

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yes possibly, although if they have just lost a loved one it will likely have been from something other than coronavirus. There is about a 0.02% chance one of the their loved ones has died from it though, so you might be right.

But there’s a possibility, it’s not a time to try and get your face (or tunes)  on Twitter. 

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

TOTALLY INCORRECT 

Current mortality rate is ca 3%

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Or someone just trying to lighten the mood and make the best of a bad situation?

Probably the intention, sure. Whether anybody in the neighbourhood wanted that intention forced on them is another matter.

6 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Wow. I get this thread is a pretty morbid at the moment, but that's a bit of a sober assumption considering it's the neighbour over the street recording and posting on social media, not the DJ himself. I've also seen a few similar videos of neighbours singing together in the streets... I get what's going on at mo is highly unprecidented, however I personally dont see the harm in trying to raise communal spirits in these dark times.

Anyhow, I'm off to hang out in some other threads for a while.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Just playing devils advocate here more than anything, put it would be possible for Festival to pay for non NHS medical staff, they do exist you know. 

Expect all emergency powers to draft non nhs staff into this. Army medical core as well. 

16 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Just playing devils advocate here more than anything, put it would be possible for Festival to pay for non NHS medical staff, they do exist you know. 

Issue of ethics though--is it right to have them at the festival rather than helping an overwhelmed NHS? I'm presuming private health will either be voluntarily ask to help the NHS or compelled to via legislation 

27 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

They use the not for profit charity Festival Medical Services who have a long history working with the festival.

Their clinical volunteers are recruited from all areas within the NHS. They do a stellar job but if the NHS is still under strain in June i'm not sure it's practical for their volunteers to be taking time out for a festival. If there is the potential of attendees getting ill with corna at the festival they may also need additional resources on hand to deal with them.

Edited by I am Jon

3 minutes ago, yehbutnobut said:

Wow. I get this thread is a pretty morbid at the moment, but that's a bit of a sober assumption considering it's the neighbour over the street recording and posting on social media, not the DJ himself. I've also seen a few similar videos of neighbours singing together in the streets... I get what's going on at mo is highly unprecidented, however I personally dont see the harm in trying to raise communal spirits in these dark times.

Anyhow, I'm off to hang out in some other threads for a while.

You’re not telling me he doesn’t know exactly what he’s doing? What he’s doing isn’t trying to uplift people, it’s knowing that he’ll be filmed and out all over social media.

• Downvote 1

Even if it does go ahead (which is increasingly unlikely), I think the atmosphere will be a very sombre one. A lot of people’s jobs and livelihoods will likely be in tatters, and who knows how many people could potentially have lost love ones. 

I've gone from the someone of optimism to the point that I almost want it to be cancelled. Feels like the enormity of what we're facing is slowly dawning. Having to put all my trust into this Tory government is giving me the chills.